Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 11:30 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
I don't understand the concern. In 2010, Atlantametro is in the same league as Houston, Boston, and DC metros. What is the concern?

Separate observation: It looks like they are not projecting any aggressive population growth for any of the US metros??
Its because they are projecting the urban population and not the metro population. Most of the growth comes from exurban growth.....which has low density and fails to meet the density metrics to be counted in the urban population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 11:33 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
... if someone post Charlotte's got 6 chickens, response is well, Atlanta has 12 dogs, goat and a mule......
A friend of mine told me 2 of those chickens were moving out.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:52 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,142,497 times
Quote:
Its because they are projecting the urban population and not the metro population. Most of the growth comes from exurban growth.....which has low density and fails to meet the density metrics to be counted in the urban population
Did anyone actually read the chart or just look at the rank?

Yes it's based on urban centers, but it's also world wide urban centers, not just US.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:18 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Those 100 mile radius numbers are bogus. Boston doesn't have 10 million within a 100 mile radius. SF doesn't have 10.26 million within a 100 mile radius.

This arbitrary 100-mile radius has been argued to death here on city-data back in 2010, but all of the smaller metros in upstate SC and central NC do in fact give Charlotte the distinction of being at the center of the 6th or 7th most populous area in the country with about 7 million people.

The ranking probably goes like this:

1)New York
2)LA
3)Chicago
4)D.C.
5)SF
6)Central NC/Charlotte

Miami up to West Palm is too linear for all its metro population to fall within 100 miles.
Philly isn't listed due to much of its population being already counted under NYC/ DC-Baltimore's radii.
Dallas, Houston and Atlanta's 100 mile populations all probably max out at between 6-7 million.
This "there are 10 million people in a 100 mile radius of Charlotte" thing is about as relevant as me saying I park my car between an Audi and a BMW 7 series. While technically true, it literally means nothing and can be as easily discarded as a hamburger wrapper or a fart in the wind.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
This "there are 10 million people in a 100 mile radius of Charlotte" thing is about as relevant as me saying I park my car between an Audi and a BMW 7 series. While technically true, it literally means nothing and can be as easily discarded as a hamburger wrapper or a fart in the wind.
It's very relevant in the real world.

Businesses work with markets. Markets are defined differently based on the industry.

Some regional retail destinations (or other regional destinations) or airports or any number of industries use broader radius markets, in areas like this how many people within a 100 miles of a core city matter.

It's staggering uninformed people are on this site and how much of so many threads are just p issing contests.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:59 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Then why bring it up? INSECURITY!! Lol!!

Come on man, the whole world knows Atlanta is bigger. Let Charlotte be...

Old 03-13-2012, 11:19 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
A friend of mine told me 2 of those chickens were moving out.
LOL, chickens getting replaced with 6 dogs and 2 mules, less traffic and grass is easier to chew.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
It's very relevant in the real world.

Businesses work with markets. Markets are defined differently based on the industry.

Some regional retail destinations (or other regional destinations) or airports or any number of industries use broader radius markets, in areas like this how many people within a 100 miles of a core city matter.

It's staggering uninformed people are on this site and how much of so many threads are just p issing contests.
I am really confused by your statement. Are you suggesting that the "100 mile radius" stuff means in relevance it goes NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, San Francisco, and Charlotte? And of course by proxy Charlotte is more relevant than Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Boston, Philadelphia and whole bunch of other cities?

I don't want to put words in your mouth, so I'll allow you to answer what you think it means. Because really, and this is the honest truth, how many people are within a 100 mile radius (not 100 miles which is an entirely different thing) of Charlotte is not Charlotte. Please explain to me in a realistic way it is relevant specially to Charlotte.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Then why bring it up? INSECURITY!! Lol!!

Come on man, the whole world knows Atlanta is bigger. Let Charlotte be...
Insecurity? A Charlotte poster posted that little factoid first as if it meant something and...oh geez, why bother. Yes big old bad Charlotte scaaaaares me and Atlanta is trembling at it's might!

(To the level headed Charlotte posters, I am actually quite bullish about Charlotte and have nothing but good things to say about it's current state and it's future. Please do not misconstrue the above as me putting down Charlotte.)

Old 03-13-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I am really confused by your statement. Are you suggesting that the "100 mile radius" stuff means in relevance it goes NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, San Francisco, and Charlotte? And of course by proxy Charlotte is more relevant than Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Boston, Philadelphia and whole bunch of other cities?

I don't want to put words in your mouth, so I'll allow you to answer what you think it means. Because really, and this is the honest truth, how many people are within a 100 mile radius (not 100 miles which is an entirely different thing) of Charlotte is not Charlotte. Please explain to me in a realistic way it is relevant specially to Charlotte.
I responded to this:
Quote:
I am pointing out that yes, in fact, such a radius is in fact relevant as various industries look at markets in different ways, some look at that wide of a radius to determine how many people are there to determine establishing a business of some sort. This is a real world application that is common and should be dismissed like it is in the comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta