Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 06:33 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Quite frankly, the Atlanta area has little to no influence on the Triangle, Triad or Charlotte in NC. It definitely has more impact on surrounding areas in SC upstate, Alabama, areas of southern Tennessee.

Other than some who fly through ATL via Delta, I don't think anyone in NC thinks about the place (maybe to visit as I do but I go to DC more often).
You're exaggerating just a tad. Due to geographic proximity, Atlanta has greater influence on Charlotte and not as much on the Triangle. The Triad is somewhat split, as it is roughly the halfway point between Atlanta and DC, but I'd say it tilts a little more towards Atlanta. Yes those metros are fairly self-sufficient, but people from parts of NC come to Charlotte for attractions, regional events, or even to do some upscale shopping or partying. I used to live in Charlotte so I know. The good thing about it is that due to the growing size of Charlotte and other places, the interchange isn't quite as one-sided as it used to be. For instance, there was a pretty sizable contingent from Atlanta at the CIAA tournament in Charlotte a few weeks ago and it was even advertised on some Atlanta radio stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 07:32 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Actually, I think Philly has an identity problem. Other than sports, we never ever talk about or hear about Philadelphia. Atlanta has more of a national presence than Philly.

But I think Atlanta is thought more of as a business place. A place to find a job. Denver has the outdoor/mountains image...deserved or not. Part of the problem is that Atlanta wants to erase or censor its past.

What Jobs????

Old 03-15-2012, 04:02 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
The end of the post wasn't for me so I'm going to ignore that.................. On a different note wait, wait, wait Charlotte a larger or more prominent "distribution center" LOFL. You made the case worse. )

It's not randomly cutting out Atlanta? so what do you call ignoring that Atlanta has more influence on the upstate SC area but it's part of the Charlotte "trade area". Atlanta is much bigger than Charlotte and the Upstate region is what's between the two cities.

Again this Charlotte trade area is basically the Piedmont Atlantic region with Atlanta ignored. I can tell right now Atlanta has more regional influence on the Triangle, Triad and Charlotte in NC than the northeast does.

Yes that's what a Chamber of Commerce do boast, but we know there boasting, there for you really can't justify in taking it seriously. I'm not a Charlotte basher, and I want all the Piedmont city to grow even Greenville SC. But saying Charlotte is growing to the next level and saying Charlotte is the center of the largest something in the southeast are two different things.
Do you even read what I post or just like making up things? I repeated what the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce touted, it's no big deal, I think you're definitely overemphasizing Atanta's influence on anything NC. No one really has presented any data to substantiate the amount of distribution (trucking, etc) to factually know the difference other than the fact that Atlanta is bigger so anecdotally, one would assume that it does more distribution, etc. I don't factually know that to be true. I'm not gonna waste my time doing it (although I could), this is more fun.

Atlanta definitely has little to no impact on Raleigh/Durham, period.

Surely you do understand that my reference to radial trading demarcation is with respect to the center point and Upstate SC is a part of both Atlantas and Charlottes - a baseline if you will, maybe it doesn't register or jives with your analytical abilities...not my problem.

In a nutshell, I really don't care. Sure, Atlanta is a big deal and nationally prominent but it's generally far removed from most parts of NC with little to no daily reference due primarily to NC's dramatic growth over the past 30 years....that's all I am saying.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're exaggerating just a tad. Due to geographic proximity, Atlanta has greater influence on Charlotte and not as much on the Triangle. The Triad is somewhat split, as it is roughly the halfway point between Atlanta and DC, but I'd say it tilts a little more towards Atlanta. Yes those metros are fairly self-sufficient, but people from parts of NC come to Charlotte for attractions, regional events, or even to do some upscale shopping or partying. I used to live in Charlotte so I know. The good thing about it is that due to the growing size of Charlotte and other places, the interchange isn't quite as one-sided as it used to be. For instance, there was a pretty sizable contingent from Atlanta at the CIAA tournament in Charlotte a few weeks ago and it was even advertised on some Atlanta radio stations.
Not merely sulf-sufficient but are self-suffient. DC is extremely more impactful. If you live in say Greensboro, the ATL is a nice break for a quick summer weekend visit but DC and points northward offer more of a reason to travel that way.

I have lived in all 3 areas (CLT, GSO and RDU), DC is definitely more influential on the Triad and Triangle for a number of reasons (jobs, family connections, etc).

Don't get me wrong, ATL is the big dog on the porch in the cultural south but I don't feel much of it here or know anyone who talks about it often, if at all. Thats just my perspective, I'm sure it's different in other circles.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Please tell me how so?What am I missing?Im curious to honestly know.
There is nothing similar between DC and Atlanta other than the size of the Beltway and I-485 perimeter, well, lots of Black folk and inspirational (successful) Black folk in both metros. That sets the two metros apart from most others.

You're not missing anything other than people can get the old west experience in Denver. It's part of the overall package, people may not specifically travel to Denver for that reason, but they can experience there...I hope that's layman enough for intrepretation.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:37 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Do you even read what I post or just like making up things? I repeated what the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce touted, it's no big deal, I think you're definitely overemphasizing Atanta's influence on anything NC. No one really has presented any data to substantiate the amount of distribution (trucking, etc) to factually know the difference other than the fact that Atlanta is bigger so anecdotally, one would assume that it does more distribution, etc. I don't factually know that to be true. I'm not gonna waste my time doing it (although I could), this is more fun.
First off we are half way agreeing, Charlotte Chamber of Commerce is boasting I'm just explaining the misleading vagueness with in it. Again I don't blame the Chamber for boasting it's what chamber do.

Atlanta is a major logistic hub, it's consider one of the top logistics hubs in the country. Logistics gave the city birth. THIS HAS NOTHING do to with size. Atlanta doesn't have niche industry but if Atlanta did it would be logistics.

http://www.grubb-ellis.com/SitePages...type=9&id=1116

Top U.S. Logistics Markets, Millions of square feet.

Southern California 555
Chicago 431
Ohio 367
Atlanta 325
Dallas 265
Northern New Jersey 231
Central Pennsylvania 165
Houston 153
Memphis 133
Baltimore 96
St. Louis 91
Kansas City 87
Seattle 79
Oakland/East Bay 76
Detroit 73

Rail

http://transportationfortomorrow.com...ort/ex_3_5.gif

Road

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/frei...ges/fig3_6.jpg

The Charlotte trade area again is bascially the Piedmont Atlantic concept with Atlanta being ignored. The regional concept is center around Atlanta, drop Atlanta, and Charlotte becomes the biggest name. That's what the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce did.

Quote:
Atlanta definitely has little to no impact on Raleigh/Durham, period.
But DC does? A lot Raleigh vernacular architecture is based from Atlanta. Generally the way the Piedmont cities are largely not grided and very leafy is influence by Atlanta. The New South movement started in Atlanta. But that's not the point, Raleigh to Atlanta is connect through a growing megalopolis in which you already agree too. In the future it's predicted that these type of regions to become more important. Atlanta through Raleigh would have to work together against other competing regions like the Texas triangle, BosWash and etc. This wasn't intend to turn into a Atlanta vs NC debate. And I was speaking of mutual influence.

Quote:
Surely you do understand that my reference to radial trading demarcation is with respect to the center point and Upstate SC is a part of both Atlantas and Charlottes - a baseline if you will, maybe it doesn't register or jives with your analytical abilities...not my problem.
Are you getting up set? anyways...... I'm saying they're one trading region altogether under the Piedmont concept the Charlotte split trade area, is something made up from a map company. It has no uses outside of PCS usage. on the other hand the Piedmont region.

The Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion

Piedmont Atlantic - America 2050

Georgia Institute of Technology :: CQGRD : Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion (PAM) (http://www.cqgrd.gatech.edu/program_areas/megaregions/pam.php - broken link)

Piedmont Alliance for Quality Growth - Reconnecting America

http://www.america2050.org/images/Piedmont.png

Quote:
In a nutshell, I really don't care. Sure, Atlanta is a big deal and nationally prominent but it's generally far removed from most parts of NC with little to no daily reference due primarily to NC's dramatic growth over the past 30 years....that's all I am saying.
Smaller cities are generally influence by the bigger cities in the region, so I'm not even debating that, Even Atlanta is influence by bigger cities nationally. But no one said NC's don't have their on clout.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:21 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
First off we are half way agreeing, Charlotte Chamber of Commerce is boasting I'm just explaining the misleading vagueness with in it. Again I don't blame the Chamber for boasting it's what chamber do.

Atlanta is a major logistic hub, it's consider one of the top logistics hubs in the country. Logistics gave the city birth. THIS HAS NOTHING do to with size. Atlanta doesn't have niche industry but if Atlanta did it would be logistics.

Top U.S. Logistics Markets, Millions of square feet.

Southern California 555
Chicago 431
Ohio 367
Atlanta 325
Dallas 265
Northern New Jersey 231
Central Pennsylvania 165
Houston 153
Memphis 133
Baltimore 96
St. Louis 91
Kansas City 87
Seattle 79
Oakland/East Bay 76
Detroit 73

Rail

http://transportationfortomorrow.com...ort/ex_3_5.gif

Road

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/frei...ges/fig3_6.jpg

The Charlotte trade area again is bascially the Piedmont Atlantic concept with Atlanta being ignored. The regional concept is center around Atlanta, drop Atlanta, and Charlotte becomes the biggest name. That's what the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce did.

But DC does? A lot Raleigh vernacular architecture is based from Atlanta. Generally the way the Piedmont cities are largely not grided and very leafy is influence by Atlanta. The New South movement started in Atlanta. But that's not the point, Raleigh to Atlanta is connect through a growing megalopolis in which you already agree too. In the future it's predicted that these type of regions to become more important. Atlanta through Raleigh would have to work together against other competing regions like the Texas triangle, BosWash and etc. This wasn't intend to turn into a Atlanta vs NC debate. And I was speaking of mutual influence.

Are you getting up set? anyways...... I'm saying they're one trading region altogether under the Piedmont concept the Charlotte split trade area, is something made up from a map company. It has no uses outside of PCS usage. on the other hand the Piedmont region.

The Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion

Piedmont Atlantic - America 2050

Georgia Institute of Technology :: CQGRD : Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion (PAM) (http://www.cqgrd.gatech.edu/program_areas/megaregions/pam.php - broken link)

Piedmont Alliance for Quality Growth - Reconnecting America

http://www.america2050.org/images/Piedmont.png

Smaller cities are generally influence by the bigger cities in the region, so I'm not even debating that, Even Atlanta is influence by bigger cities nationally. But no one said NC's don't have their on clout.
I am not sure about that Logistic ranking based upon SPACE (what if much of the space is not used) and not VOLUME of goods actually shipped. I would think Memphis would be ranked high simply because its where FedX is HQ. That list also includes whole states, like Ohio, and regions, like Northern New Jersey. Hence, I am not sure apples to apples are being compared. I also think that areas that are also ports, like New Orleans, would have a natural logistic advantage.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:12 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I am not sure about that Logistic ranking based upon SPACE (what if much of the space is not used) and not VOLUME of goods actually shipped. I would think Memphis would be ranked high simply because its where FedX is HQ. That list also includes whole states, like Ohio, and regions, like Northern New Jersey. Hence, I am not sure apples to apples are being compared. I also think that areas that are also ports, like New Orleans, would have a natural logistic advantage.
Yes Memphis is rank high, Anyway but debating logistics with Atlanta is a dead horse, logistics is a very broad industry I said Atlanta is one of the top cities in the country. If you would had at least read the link it's the largest Logistics Markets not metros. And they gave vacancies Atlanta is one largest markets with a below average Vacancy rate. I also posted a map showing rail and truck traffic anyway. And UPS is located in Atlanta.

Again

Quote:
Atlanta is the rail center of the South and is considered among the top five most
important distribution centers in North America. The city is serviced by two U.S. Class I
railroads, CXS and Norfolk Southern, which operate out of six intermodal yards. Its proximity to the Port of Savannah, two-day Norfolk Southern connection to the Port of Norfolk, as well as rail and highway infrastructure connecting the southern, western and
mid-Atlantic states drives demand for intermodal container volume which consistently
tops the 1 million containers-per-year mark. Furthermore, given the General Purpose
Foreign Trade Zone designation within Atlanta, the city is poised for an uptick in activity
once the Panama Canal expansion is complete
I didn't want to post an Atlanta chamber link because then I would be no better, but what ever.

Supply Chain and Advanced Manufacturing (http://www.metroatlantachamber.com/content/IntPage.aspx?Id=49&SId=9&independent=true&AspxAuto DetectCookieSupport=1 - broken link)

But a poster wanted to know how Atlanta compared to the NC cities. So I posted data. logistics is the wrong industry.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:01 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Not merely sulf-sufficient but are self-suffient. DC is extremely more impactful. If you live in say Greensboro, the ATL is a nice break for a quick summer weekend visit but DC and points northward offer more of a reason to travel that way.
I said they are "fairly" self-sufficient mainly because of some of the amenities the Triad lacks, but they can usually get those in Charlotte or the Triangle. Atlanta and DC themselves hold very similar tourist appeal; typically you're visiting for some sort of special event or leisure (shopping, attractions, nightlife, etc.). The coast or the mountains are far more likely to constitute a quick summer weekend visit for Triad residents. Atlanta (and DC) has stuff going on all year round that might entice someone from Greensboro or Winston-Salem to visit.

Quote:
I have lived in all 3 areas (CLT, GSO and RDU), DC is definitely more influential on the Triad and Triangle for a number of reasons (jobs, family connections, etc).
Definitely the influence is more felt in the Triangle; in the Triad, I got more of a split vibe myself. And of course, Atlanta is certainly more influential on Charlotte.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, ATL is the big dog on the porch in the cultural south but I don't feel much of it here or know anyone who talks about it often, if at all. Thats just my perspective, I'm sure it's different in other circles.
For Charlotte in particular, there's definitely talk of Atlanta, especially since they are economic competitors. Also, Atlanta is often used as a benchmark for Charlotte's progress.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:25 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Quote:
Yes Memphis is rank high, Anyway but debating logistics with Atlanta is a dead horse, logistics is a very broad industry I said Atlanta is one of the top cities in the country. If you would had at least read the link it's the largest Logistics Markets not metros. And they gave vacancies Atlanta is one largest markets with a below average Vacancy rate. I also posted a map showing rail and truck traffic anyway. And UPS is located in Atlanta.

Again

I didn't want to post an Atlanta chamber link because then I would be no better, but what ever.

Supply Chain and Advanced Manufacturing (http://www.metroatlantachamber.com/content/IntPage.aspx?Id=49&SId=9&independent=true&AspxAuto DetectCookieSupport=1 - broken link)

But a poster wanted to know how Atlanta compared to the NC cities. So I posted data. logistics is the wrong industry.
And don't forget, NC is quietly using $600 million from the federal government's high-speed rail initiative to upgrade tracks allowing for faster trains from Charlotte to Raleigh to DC. Virginia and NC are splitting the cost to revive an abandoned track from Raleigh to Richmond that will drastically improve travel times to the Northeast Corridor. Currently rail service must head east to Rocky Mount before turning north to Richmond.

What I love is how NC is doing this under the political radar. So Atlanta can remain the rail hub for freight and distribution, but NC is going to literally be connected to the Northeast Corridor in less than 5 years. A leisurely 3 hour train ride to D.C. This is big for the State of North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta