Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 02:17 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
I responded to this:

I am pointing out that yes, in fact, such a radius is in fact relevant as various industries look at markets in different ways, some look at that wide of a radius to determine how many people are there to determine establishing a business of some sort. This is a real world application that is common and should be dismissed like it is in the comment.
I agree with this 100%. I think many business entities like to look at mile radius population counts.....especially for logistics and distribution. MSA metrics serves a different interest. Actually I think the MSA metrics are losing favor for business metrics, just like city ranking metrics lost favor to MSA metrics once most people started residing in suburbs instead of urban cities. However, to be sure, every chamber of commerce is going to play up the metric that ranks them the highest.

Although I agree with the importance of mile radius metrics for business, I think that it is hyperbolic to suggest that Charlotte has 10 million people in a 100 mile radius. I mean.....based upon the baseline of data compiled in the zip code database, Charlotte is not near 10 million in a 100 mile radius.....and neither is Atlanta. The South does not have a "Mega region" where large metro coincide with one and other, with the exception of Florida. The next closest would be in North Carolina....but those metros are not large metros.....even though they are very close to one and other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 02:28 PM

3,662 posts, read 3,942,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
No offense....but hype seems to be endemic to the Southeast region.

ZIP Codes in a Radius Lookup

NY NY Radius 100 mile.

Total population in radius = 28,162,990
Total number of businesses in radius = 1,287,299

I am not sure were you got 15 million from

[CENTER]
[/CENTER]
I just quickly looked at wikipedia and the 15 million number. My quotes regarding Indian Pt.'s surrounding population was just from memory. I just relocated to Atlanta after 10 years in NYC.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:32 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,006,323 times
Quote:
I responded to this:

I am pointing out that yes, in fact, such a radius is in fact relevant as various industries look at markets in different ways, some look at that wide of a radius to determine how many people are there to determine establishing a business of some sort. This is a real world application that is common and should be dismissed like it is in the comment.
Oh Jesus. More clearly how is this relevant for Charlotte and how does it's supposed (whether true or not) "10 million people in a 100 mile radius" give it an advantage over Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia and Detroit to make it the 6th most important city/region in the United States as your post originally implied or at all period? I'll make it easy on you: it doesn't.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I agree with this 100%. I think many business entities like to look at mile radius population counts.....especially for logistics and distribution. MSA metrics serves a different interest. Actually I think the MSA metrics are losing favor for business metrics, just like city ranking metrics lost favor to MSA metrics once most people started residing in suburbs instead of urban cities. However, to be sure, every chamber of commerce is going to play up the metric that ranks them the highest.
Yes, I agree, that is indisputable. I wasn't talking about that. Rather, how in the world Charlotte is supposedly better positioned than Atlanta (or Dallas, Houston, Miami, Detroit, Phialdelphia and Boston) in that regard.

Quote:
Although I agree with the importance of mile radius metrics for business, I think that it is hyperbolic to suggest that Charlotte has 10 million people in a 100 mile radius. I mean.....based upon the baseline of data compiled in the zip code database, Charlotte is not near 10 million in a 100 mile radius.....and neither is Atlanta. The South does not have a "Mega region" where large metro coincide with one and other, with the exception of Florida. The next closest would be in North Carolina....but those metros are not large metros.....even though they are very close to one and other.
All of that plus even if Charlotte did have 10 million people in a 100 mile radius (which I'm betting that metric is a combination of the amount of people who live in North Carolina and the parts of South Carolina in Charlottes Metro), it hasn't amounted to much. Atlanta and three other cities in the South are far ahead of Charlotte in, well, everything measurable. It just seems like an odd thing to me to trumpet if it doesn't add up to anything, whether or not it is true.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:43 PM

3,662 posts, read 3,942,068 times
Oh and I apologize. I'll never repeat that Charlotte's 100 mile radius population is the 6th largest in the country.

That Charlotte Chamber website I linked earlier actually says that the "trading area" around Charlotte comprises over 13 million people, the 6th largest "trading area" in the country. That sounds more plausible, since over 14 million people live in NC/SC.

And "War on Christmas" is the one who endlessly contested my claim back in 2010. He even posted several maps of counties, circles superimposed over Georgia and North Carolina. He contested my noting how the Census bureau had predicted NC will become the 7th most populous state in 2030, and he contested my prediction of the ever-narrowing lead Georgia's population had over NC (who until 2000 had always been #1). Well, the 2010 census showed Georgia with 150,000 or so more residents than NC. So I predict that by next year NC will retake the lead, especially since Raleigh-Durham remains one of the fastest growing parts of the country. I don't know about Charlotte, but even places like Wilmington, NC continue to grow, (despite NC's high unemployment).

Old 03-13-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Oh and I apologize. I'll never repeat that Charlotte's 100 mile radius population is the 6th largest in the country.
Unless you are JoeP, I didn't suggest that you did. Hmm.

Feel free to post the "100 mile radius population of Charlotte" number as much as you want. If there are 10 million within 100 miles of Charlotte, then great for Charlotte! What does it mean though? In particular in relation to Atlanta which this thread is about...

Quote:
That Charlotte Chamber website I linked earlier actually says that the "trading area" around Charlotte comprises over 13 million people, the 6th largest "trading area" in the country. That sounds more plausible, since over 14 million people live in NC/SC.
Whatever the number they come up with is, it doesn't actually mean anything important other than it being true...if it's true.

Quote:
And "War on Christmas" is the one who endlessly contested my claim back in 2010. He even posted several maps of counties, circles superimposed over Georgia and North Carolina. He contested my noting how the Census bureau had predicted NC will become the 7th most populous state in 2030, and he contested my prediction of the ever-narrowing lead Georgia's population had over NC (who until 2000 had always been #1). Well, the 2010 census showed Georgia with 150,000 or so more residents than NC. So I predict that by next year NC will retake the lead, especially since Raleigh-Durham remains one of the fastest growing parts of the country. I don't know about Charlotte, but even places like Wilmington, NC continue to grow, (despite NC's high unemployment).
Oh geez. This is a forum and people are free to post ideas. At no point do I think it is appropriate to say to you or JoeP or anyone that you cannot post ideas. You just need to be ready to back up whatever claim is made. No need feeling butthurt over having your ideas challenged. Trust me, I'm not walking away with my feelings hurt nor should you.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:56 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,107,637 times
Quote:
I responded to this:

No...

There's no basis behind it, can you say the 100 miles area is economically integrated like a metro.... NO. So it doesn't matter what the population is in 100 miles it's different metro markets. If thing that proves my point more.

Then anything of 100 miles radius is more of a major regional thing then it's related to one city or metro region. A 100 miles radius is like saying Chattanooga has the busiest airport in the World because of hartsfield-Jackson.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:36 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,107,637 times
Charlotte Chamber - Strategic Location

This is the funniest thing I read in a while and they know they wrong for that. I know there job is to boast Charlotte but that's funny. Rand McNally is a map company and they are boasting that. Other wise Charlotte leads that region if don't add Atlanta......... failed.

The region there talking about is Charlotte-Greensboro, Greenville SC, Raleigh, NC which is funny because if you add Atlanta you basically have the Piedmont Atlantic or Charlatta concept. So they are going with a map company Rand McNally to boast Charlotte instead presenting the Piedmont Atlantic concept by Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, America 2050 and etc.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:41 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,192 times
Quote:
Oh Jesus. More clearly how is this relevant for Charlotte and how does it's supposed (whether true or not) "10 million people in a 100 mile radius" give it an advantage over Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia and Detroit to make it the 6th most important city/region in the United States as your post originally implied or at all period? I'll make it easy on you: it doesn't.
Jesus, I'm not talking about any specific place.

ONCE AGAIN, I'm referring to the real world function of radius populations for business markets. Please read before posting. My comment is relevant to the comment that I put in quotes.

I never said anything about Charlotte, let alone it having 10 million people or any other number.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:01 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,281,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Charlotte Chamber - Strategic Location

This is the funniest thing I read in a while and they know they wrong for that. I know there job is to boast Charlotte but that's funny. Rand McNally is a map company and they are boasting that. Other wise Charlotte leads that region if don't add Atlanta......... failed.

The region there talking about is Charlotte-Greensboro, Greenville SC, Raleigh, NC which is funny because if you add Atlanta you basically have the Piedmont Atlantic or Charlatta concept. So they are going with a map company Rand McNally to boast Charlotte instead presenting the Piedmont Atlantic concept by Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, America 2050 and etc.
Not really, the I-85 corridor in NC is quite connected (I travel between Greensboro, Charlotte, and Raleigh/Durham all the time for events); the 100 mile radius was used to sale the area to the NFL (Charlotte-Greenville-Raleigh-Greensboro). Clearly, Charlotte is not on the level of Atlanta, even the Chamber of Commerce knows this, but because of it's geographical location (proximity to the northeast), it is a major player in the distribution business. I don't think it's out of bounds, it's a fact, but definitely Chamber of Commerce over-the-top boosterism.

Utlimately, I think the I-85 corridor from Raleigh to Atlanta will be the next mega region...southern style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta