Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 03:39 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times

Advertisements

The University of Cali system is superb and superior...amazing schools....The university of Georgia system really only has tech and UGA. GSU is decent, but has a long way to go from what I get attending here. Have a few regrets now, but that's fine...if I have to pursue a graduate degree at a better school, then I will.

Then again, Cali is just great for higher education period....Cal Tech., Stanford, USC, UCLA, UC Berkeley, etc.

I couldn't even get into UCLA...I was rejected and I had pretty good stats. Those same stats would have had me admitted into UGA easily and possibly even Tech.

UGA is a tier 3 school IMO. Tech would be Tier 2. Tier 1 is saved for those like Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 04:14 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Ant,

Georgia also has Emory and a pretty good Medical school (but its just a medical school for the most part, unlike major universities that have all curriculums attached into one...medical, engineering, and the liberal arts, etc...).

I also need to remind you California is still 3.5x the size of Georgia in population. If Georgia was as large, we very well would have 3.5 times the major university offerings. We would have the demand for that. Just imagine if there was one state that took up 2/3 of the southern east coast. It would add UNC and UVA amongst many others.

You're being way too hard on Georgia. Quite frankly, I don't really know or understand why you are on these forums or don't just move away, since you put it down so much and never seem to have anything positive to say at all.

You're also way too hard on Athens and I think you are making a false assumption that Athens isn't a major city because UGA isn't good enough for it. That isn't how it works. Employers would prefer to be in Atlanta and have better transportation access and resources and have no problem luring UGA grads to Atlanta. It is where most go and where most are originally from.

Athens was quite literally founded and grew up because of the university. It did become a regional hub for farmers and now for shopping in that part of northeast Georgia, but it was primarily a college town. These are very common throughout the states and include many great education institutions. Many major universities were founded by grants of unowned land. Some was sold off and some was kept to build on. It was an early trend to have centralized universities that were not necessarily in the major cities. It doesn't have to be an urban or economic paradise to be good for the school and its students or vice versa. In fact, it actually creates a cool culture where most everything is directly for the students around town. It also grants students alot of artistic leeway for exploring and carrying out class projects around town, whether is be public filming, photography, etc...

I'd also point out that it is the state's agricultural university. It is one of the main research mission handed down to it by the state. They have significant land holdings around Athens (and throughout the state too) for those purposes. It needs access to relatively cheap land somewhat near the campus to bring students, professors, and research facilities together.

The major problem I have with your opinion about Athens... it is clearly guided by your vision of what you want, but you are ignoring that a place can be really good for various reasons...even though it doesn't fit your vision of what you want. Just because it isn't what you want, doesn't make it bad.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:50 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Ant,

Georgia also has Emory and a pretty good Medical school (but its just a medical school for the most part, unlike major universities that have all curriculums attached into one...medical, engineering, and the liberal arts, etc...).

I also need to remind you California is still 3.5x the size of Georgia in population. If Georgia was as large, we very well would have 3.5 times the major university offerings. We would have the demand for that. Just imagine if there was one state that took up 2/3 of the southern east coast. It would add UNC and UVA amongst many others.

You're being way too hard on Georgia. Quite frankly, I don't really know or understand why you are on these forums or don't just move away, since you put it down so much and never seem to have anything positive to say at all.

You're also way too hard on Athens and I think you are making a false assumption that Athens isn't a major city because UGA isn't good enough for it. That isn't how it works. Employers would prefer to be in Atlanta and have better transportation access and resources and have no problem luring UGA grads to Atlanta. It is where most go and where most are originally from.

Athens was quite literally founded and grew up because of the university. It did become a regional hub for farmers and now for shopping in that part of northeast Georgia, but it was primarily a college town. These are very common throughout the states and include many great education institutions. Many major universities were founded by grants of unowned land. Some was sold off and some was kept to build on. It was an early trend to have centralized universities that were not necessarily in the major cities. It doesn't have to be an urban or economic paradise to be good for the school and its students or vice versa. In fact, it actually creates a cool culture where most everything is directly for the students around town. It also grants students alot of artistic leeway for exploring and carrying out class projects around town, whether is be public filming, photography, etc...

I'd also point out that it is the state's agricultural university. It is one of the main research mission handed down to it by the state. They have significant land holdings around Athens (and throughout the state too) for those purposes. It needs access to relatively cheap land somewhat near the campus to bring students, professors, and research facilities together.

The major problem I have with your opinion about Athens... it is clearly guided by your vision of what you want, but you are ignoring that a place can be really good for various reasons...even though it doesn't fit your vision of what you want. Just because it isn't what you want, doesn't make it bad.
1)I thought Emory wasn't a part of the University of Georgia system so I did not include it.

2)Athens isn't a major city....what are you smoking? It's a mid-size city at best. It's only as big as it is now because of the university.

3)I didn't say Athens was bad...and it's my opinion. I think Athens is nothing special besides UGA and it's downtown area. Simple as that.

4)Texas is large, but I don't see any really good university there that are outstanding. Population is meaningless. Mass. doesn't have a very large population and small land area, but it's schools are among the best of the best.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:51 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Thank you, cw. Well said.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:17 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
1)I thought Emory wasn't a part of the University of Georgia system so I did not include it.

2)Athens isn't a major city....what are you smoking? It's a mid-size city at best. It's only as big as it is now because of the university.

3)I didn't say Athens was bad...and it's my opinion. I think Athens is nothing special besides UGA and it's downtown area. Simple as that.

4)Texas is large, but I don't see any really good university there that are outstanding. Population is meaningless. Mass. doesn't have a very large population and small land area, but it's schools are among the best of the best.
Emory University is not apart of the university system, it is privately funded. There is room for growth in the Georgia University System but until a vision is made, the system will continue to lack behind, I mean two of the four research university are widely know in tech and UGA, if Georgia State was in any other city no one outside the south or state for that matter would know where it was, and even though GRU is experiencing an explosion in new construction since its merger with Augusta State, it sometimes gets overshadowed by Emory which isn't even a public research university.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:27 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Rice?

Old 11-27-2012, 05:28 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Man, gtcorndog - I think I'd rather have a mediocre lawyer than a mediocre engineer. The last one can lead to one's early demise...
Luckily for all, GT doesn't produce mediocre engineers.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:47 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Rice?
If they're only talking about public schools, UT Austin certainly holds its own and A&M is at least in range of UGA.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:26 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
If they're only talking about public schools, UT Austin certainly holds its own and A&M is at least in range of UGA.
But for the money Texas has, it's surprising that its schools aren't better. Baylor, SMU, TCU, Texas A&M, and University of Texas have $1+ billion endowments. Even the University of Houston has an endowment similar to UGA's. Only Rice is really highly ranked.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:30 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
Adjusting for size, I feel like Georgia is pretty good in terms of public universities. We're tricky to compare, given that we have Georgia Tech, which is an extremely good public school with limited curriculum and size but more competitive than most schools. Also, we are larger than a lot of states that have so-so flagship schools and not much more Oregon, Nebraska, etc.

Of course, given HOPE, Georgia is an excellent deal if you're sending a kid to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta