Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 09:17 PM

472 posts, read 810,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
What am I missing? The chart I see says 1340 for 2010 for GT...and right below.....1233 for UGA

https://vic34.kennesaw.edu/fb/kenn_f...31&p_year=2010
Wow, slip after slip tonight. Must've misread the two values when copying them down. Sorry about that. Thanks for the correction.

The peak was in 2009 and 2005. I thought it was strange that the SATs scores would be matched for GT and UGA.

Again, my point geared toward the OP is unchanged. The growth is unquestionable. GT has also consistently increased it's SAT average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 11:31 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,141,983 times
GT is the superior when it comes to Academics and is world -class in many ways...along with being next to the urban core of a good size metropolis.

UGA is not world-class. It is national-class though, however, I don't see a foreign student saying, "Hey I want to go to UGA!". It stuck in a small town that is only as big as it is now because of the university itself. Athens would be nothing without the school.

But I guess football is just that important to people in the south...there's a reason education down here is terrible...Football > Education.

UGA doesn't hold a candle to GT ad it's silly to compare the two.

The only thing it beats it at is football and a few other sports...

Old 11-27-2012, 06:19 AM

472 posts, read 810,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
GT is the superior when it comes to Academics and is world -class in many ways...along with being next to the urban core of a good size metropolis.

UGA is not world-class. It is national-class though, however, I don't see a foreign student saying, "Hey I want to go to UGA!". It stuck in a small town that is only as big as it is now because of the university itself. Athens would be nothing without the school.

But I guess football is just that important to people in the south...there's a reason education down here is terrible...Football > Education.

UGA doesn't hold a candle to GT ad it's silly to compare the two.

The only thing it beats it at is football and a few other sports...
For the trillionth time, I wasn't trying to compare UGA to Georgia Tech. You can't compare the two schools. They're two different schools. GT is a STEM school, UGA is not. Of course, GT is one of the most selective schools in the nation. I am not trying to imply that UGA is going to outpace Tech in terms of admission standards.

However, UGA IS international class. I don't know how you got the idea it isn't. You would think that the partnership with Oxford University would drive at least that home. They're both excellent schools and the fact that you continue to pit the two against each other show how little you know about higher ed in Georgia and the nation. I've already corrected you once about your notion of Athens. You can go back and read what I said before.

I'll just link you to information so you can read.

UGA by the Numbers | University Of Georgia
Points of Pride | University Of Georgia

Old 11-27-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
For the trillionth time, I wasn't trying to compare UGA to Georgia Tech. You can't compare the two schools. They're two different schools. GT is a STEM school, UGA is not. Of course, GT is one of the most selective schools in the nation. I am not trying to imply that UGA is going to outpace Tech in terms of admission standards.

However, UGA IS international class. I don't know how you got the idea it isn't. You would think that the partnership with Oxford University would drive at least that home. They're both excellent schools and the fact that you continue to pit the two against each other show how little you know about higher ed in Georgia and the nation. I've already corrected you once about your notion of Athens. You can go back and read what I said before.

I'll just link you to information so you can read.

UGA by the Numbers | University Of Georgia
Points of Pride | University Of Georgia
Athen's biggest employer is UGA so it's local economy is governed by the school...Again, Athens would be another small town in the state of GA without UGA. You go to downtown to get drunk. What is there outside of downtown and the campus? Because last time I was there a couple of month back, it wasn't anything. The downtown area was great...amazing for if you want to chill with friends and get drunk.

To even say UGA is world-class makes me laugh. World class is saved for the best of the best.

The only schools world-class here are the Ivies, UCLA and UC Berkeley, Stanford, MIT, GT, etc...to even put UGA(lol) to the standard of these schools makes me laugh. Hard.

If UGA was truly world class, we would see their admission rates drop from the 50% it is now to less then 20%. We would see a plethora of high-achieving out of state and international students applying and attending the school. I mean very high achieving.

There's a difference between a world-class institution and a school that is international simply because there is different cultural backgrounds attending the school. That means, GSU would be international, but we know GSU is light years away from being world-class, if ever.

Understand that difference and understand what I mean when I say 'World-class'.

Trust me....if I were still living in Cali, the only thing I would hear about from the bulldogs would be how great of a season their football team is having atm. I would take zero interest in applying to the school.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:12 AM

Just saying, I'm not trying to completely bash on UGA. It's a fine regional school...very fine...you can get a godo education there...but to go there and say it's world-class is absurd and un heard of.

Plus 80+% of the school is still white lol. I don't see many high achieving Asians, blacks, or Hispanics wanting to apply to the school. Very homogeneous from what I heard recently and on reviews.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:47 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,991,098 times
FWIW you're selling Athens short. After Atlanta was destroyed during the Civil War, a lot of people moved to Athens temporarily since it was the biggest city nearby. Of course, economic activity naturally gravitated back to Atlanta over time, but for that reason Athens has an unusual amount of late-1800s and early-1900s architecture for a city of its size in this part of the country. It has beautiful neighborhoods full of old houses well outside of downtown, and old warehouse complexes on the outskirts of the old town. Head to Auburn or Clemson if you want to see what a city with nothing besides a college looks like.

Not to mention the music scene, which has grown way, way out of proportion with the size of the city.

As far as developing Athens into something more, three things could really help:

- A mixed commuter/intercity train between Atlanta and Athens, serving Gwinnett and other points in between.
- Upgrading 316 to limited access all the way (this is happening, but at an absurd slow pace)
- Development of a second regional airport in between Atlanta and Athens, to serve both Athens and Gwinnett County. (I prefer Northeast Georgia Regional Airport personally.)

If you had those three things happen Athens could definitely take off in a mini Austin-style way. Atlanta's suburbs are continuing to grow in that direction, so Athens will naturally have some significant population growth no matter what. But whether it becomes much more than a university-focused and cultural/entertainment city remains to be seen.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:47 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,352,773 times
Some more great information for those making college choices. How does the World view the colleges?

World University Rankings 2012-2013

GT: #25 in the World
Emory: #79 in the World
UGA: #201-225 in the World

Top World Universities by Reputation:

GT: #41 in the World
Emory: Unranked (outside top 100)
UGA: Unranked (outside top 100)

All are good schools, but only two of them can claim to be great as viewed internationally.

That isn't an insult, just fact.

Last edited by gtcorndog; 11-27-2012 at 08:04 AM..

Old 11-27-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Some more great information for those making college choices. How does the World view the colleges?

All are good schools, but only two of them can claim to be great as viewed internationally.
Pretty much proves my point. Georgia Tech is truly a world-class institution. It's amazing ad getting a degree from there can really jump start a career, especially in the Math and Science related fields. There are students from around the world who apply there. I have great respect for that school, however, I didn't have a desire to attend there.

You can go to the campus and walk around and see the true diversity in the student body. Same CANNOT be said about UGA. It's vastly majority white.

I'm surprised that Emory is unranked when it comes to reputation. Another world-class or near world-class institution.

GT > UGA when it comes to Academics
UGA > GT when it comes to football(lol)

Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,137,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post

That isn't an insult, just fact.
Interesting how the US absolutely dominates those rankings. Our K-12 sucks and is behind the rest of the world, but we value our post-secondary education. Also interesting that Cal Tech is #1. Always thought the US rankings didn't respect them as much as they should. A system that competes for students seems to produce the better results. Hope Georgia's Charter School system makes a difference.

But I must admit, I don't get why Georgia Tech is viewed as so great.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:07 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,659,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Interesting how the US absolutely dominates those rankings. Our K-12 sucks and is behind the rest of the world, but we value our post-secondary education. Also interesting that Cal Tech is #1. Always thought the US rankings didn't respect them as much as they should. A system that competes for students seems to produce the better results. Hope Georgia's Charter School system makes a difference.

But I must admit, I don't get why Georgia Tech is viewed as so great.
I agree. I don't consider GT world class by any means. UGA and GT are both great schools. They are not world class though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta