Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:59 PM

472 posts, read 810,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
see how sad and insecure he looks after awhile.... :/
The whole good ol' fashion hate thing? They care about it a lot more than we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 10:13 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
UGA is a very good backup school.

What is a good primary school or backup school depends entirely on the caliber of the student.

There are plenty of good students in GA who apply to UGA hoping to be accepted who probably know they would have no chance at an even tougher school.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:21 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,137,275 times
Why do you (OP) name yourself after an organic solvent?

Hey everyone! I'm Benzyltrimethylammonium hydroxide but you can call me Triton B for short!

Must wear your goggles around me.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:41 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,778,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
The whole good ol' fashion hate thing? They care about it a lot more than we do.
There is actually alot of truth to this. Before, during, and after college I worked in the live event industry quite heavily. (flexible hours + higher hourly rate pay...great for a student )

I also did the same work at student activities for UGA, despite lower pay, it was fun, fit around my classes. However the money was at professional venues around Atlanta, so I drove into town frequently.

One of the places I occasionally freelanced at was a venue on Tech's campus.

In short I was given the opportunity to work orientation events at both schools. These events are generally fun and they do alot of skits and do alot of team and school pride building skits, chants, and stunts.

What stood out to me night and day...

At UGA they would make fun of GT in their skits... out of all them... once...maybe twice. They never had any chants putting them down and it was never a central piece of bulldawg pride. Much of the skits also spent more time putting down other SEC teams, however they only made a joke or two a piece. They usually had one skit that would make fun of each school once in an effort to explain what made UGA so great and unique in the region. All in good fun, but most of the content was actually about UGA and it was mostly positive and uplifting. Most of our chants and pride building were about us...not others.

At GT they did fewer skits, had more talks, speakers, etc... They rarely brought up other ACC teams, but did once or twice. UGA, however, came up ALOT. They did one skit just hammering UGA and constantly made random comments at other points. What was so funny, is even from most the new GT student's in the venue didn't laugh after awhile, because they repeated the same jokes after awhile.

But here is the thing I noticed most freshman were being fed at orientation for school pride building

Class president: Whats the good word?
Freshies: To hell with Georgia (and repeat)

They would do this several times over for the whole event, sometimes at random times.

From the very get go too much of their pride is built around trying to have a rivalry with the state's older University.

It was very evident. Yes, I do think they need to tone it down and create a more positive culture around support for themselves from the get go. It is one thing to have a light-hearted rivalry and bitter football games, but its another to make it a central component of school pride. That is why GT lays it on so thick and then beat their jokes dead to the point they aren't funny at all.

It is also why when they play another football team their ramblin' wreck has a flag that says "to hell with Georgia."

I mean.... I'm not just saying this to argue or put down Tech. My grandfather went there and I actually grew up a fan. But... It is kind of embarrassing at a point.

They do it, because it is their battle cry, but it also like they are acknowledging their feelings of inadequacy from along time ago...and it become a tradition.

and before every GT on here starts replying and speaking off the hip... just let this go and sit on it a while and think about this. This wasn't written as a put-down, rivalry, or insult. This was the differences I actually saw and experience happen and it was really telling and it is also why I just about can never find a GT ever be all that friendly say positive things about UGA in a serious manner.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:53 PM

Trust me. It doesn't bother us in the least.

Let em do as they please lol

Nothing sadder than a sore loser

Georgia cares about UofF and that's about it. All other rivalries are fierce but nothing compared to the flagship GA-FL

Go dawgs!

Old 10-30-2012, 06:07 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,832,003 times
So which branch of admissions do you work form anyways? Seriously this reads like one of those "articles" about a city in the middle of Delta's Sky Magazine that is actually a paid advertisement.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:37 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times
Thank you for posting. I'm very proud to have gone there and that my daughter is there. What a great asset for our state.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Thank you for posting. I'm very proud to have gone there and that my daughter is there. What a great asset for our state.
My goal is met.

Why thank you red, I haven't served on UGA's admissions, but I have served on graduate admission committees.

Don't worry, I'm a martyr of all Georgia schools here. I selected this board because we have have so many questions about people MOVING here. It's important they know about UGA. All flagship schools are highly respected in their own region, but outside that region it's a hit or miss. I'm astonished to see how many people don't know about University of Washington-Seattle, U Colorado or even UNC here in the south.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:38 PM

Some of the links seem to have been broken in my OP. Can't edit. Fixed:

Tech's pre-health committee
Home | Pre-health Advising at Georgia Tech

UGA's pre-health committee
University of Georgia: Office of the Vice President for Instruction

GHSU | UGA Medical Partnership
GHSU | UGA Medical Partnership

UGA falls again in party-school ranking | Online Athens
UGA falls again in party-school ranking | Online Athens

UGA fundraising lags behind other institutions - The Red and Black : News: uga, fundraising, fundraise, $100 million,
UGA fundraising lags behind other institutions - The Red and Black : News: uga, fundraising, fundraise, $100 million,

Old 10-31-2012, 06:03 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,141,983 times
UGA is a good school, but Athens is so boring if you're not strictly into just partying all day long. I honestly think GT has a more interesting environment around it...you have the city core literally across the freeway from where you study at.

Athens...you have a 4 block downtown Athens and that's it....1 and half hour drive to Atlanta and I know many students who come down to Atlanta for the weekend to party, club, etc.

Just seems like Athens gets dull after a while....I was there a little more then a month ago and it's little downtown area was cool, but other then that and the campus, Athens is literally nothing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta