Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 02:04 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
UGA doesn't hold a candle to GT ad it's silly to compare the two.
You're right - GT's med, vet, law and journalism schools are really a whole lot better than UGA's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 02:06 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
I agree. I don't consider GT world class by any means. UGA and GT are both great schools. They are not world class though.
They are at least close to world class. But what makes them "great"?

Old 11-27-2012, 02:12 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
You're right - GT's med, vet, law and journalism schools are really a whole lot better than UGA's.
But where you can compare them, GT excels over UGA. And UGA doesn't have a med school worth speaking of yet.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:33 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,834 times
Quote:
Journalism? There is a industry with a bright future to hang your hat on.
Law? Just what the World needs, more mediocre law school graduates.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:34 PM

472 posts, read 809,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
I agree. I don't consider GT world class by any means. UGA and GT are both great schools. They are not world class though.
wow I have to admit, I'm surprised at the amount of down playing of Georgia schools is present on this board. For a message board dedicated to Atlanta, GEORGIA you all don't seem to have a very good grasp on the reach and good work of GEORGIA public schools - not even UGA and Georgia Tech. Let alone Georgia State, GCSU, KSU and the rest.

Everyone: I can assure you that Georgia Tech and UGA are world class institutions. They aren't Ivy league institutions, but people DO know about UGA and Georgia Tech around the world. As a matter of fact, To the extent of University of Michigan? University of Washington? Harvard? Yale? MIT? No, surely not. However, they do have a growing presence globally. You all aren't aware. Not in the least.

Consider the 2011 N/S Korea Peace talks; UGA professor Han Park organized the 2011 conference between diplomats, academics and political leaders from North Korea, South Korea and the United States. They gathered at UGA to talk about lasting peace and possible reunification on the Asian peninsula. UGA's Asian enrollment has grown 50% since 2005 Ant. The hispanic population has grown almost 16% in the last year.

Here's a bit of a follow up on Dr. Park's progress:
North Korea's space oddity: Missile or satellite? - CNN.com

Georgia Tech not known internationally? Anyone who disputes Georgia Tech's global presence need only step onto Tech's campus. There are people all around the world who have given away their entire life to send their child to Georgia Tech. I understand UGA's global presence being news to some. It's relatively new to the university. By new I mean in the past 5-10 years new. However, GT has been known internationally for sometime. Especially for their aerospace engineering program. While at University of Washington, I actually met several Georgia Tech professors working on an assignment there - not one of them White.

Let me reiterate. We have now derailed completely. Let's reread the title of this thread. I'm talking about GROWTH here, growth of UGA.

Sure, my PSAs about little known facts about UGA are great, but really I'm trying to relay the message that our schools are significantly improving. And it's worth taking note of and caring. I know it's human nature to focus on the bad rather than good, but let's be novel here.

What people like Gtcorndog and Ant don't seem to understand, is that while GT and UGA are "rivals" on the football field, they actually do quite a bit of research and administrative collaboration and any growth on either team is a win for the country, world students and the state. I'm not really blaming the two of you, most people have the same thought patterns.

Universities are the source of innovation and learning. Partying? Of course. No doubts about it. Students party at UGA as they do Georgia Tech as they do Harvard(more than you would guess actually). You would be a fool not to acknowledge partying among college youths, but let's focus on things that are more important than partying. As fun as football and sports are, there are other aspects of college that we need to pay attention to.

The University of Georgia will be having a university council meeting later this week that will outline what their plans are. Presence of more graduate students, hiring of stronger research faculty, more international students and so on.

UGA plans call for big research spending, but money uncertain | Online Athens
(Hopefully, Michael Adams leaves without causing even more of a ruckus with gifts)

Old 11-27-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
But where you can compare them, GT excels over UGA. And UGA doesn't have a med school worth speaking of yet.

I sure hope those several students who stumble upon this thread just click the links and facts that have been posted.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:59 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Journalism? There is a industry with a bright future to hang your hat on.
Law? Just what the World needs, more mediocre law school graduates.
Man, gtcorndog - I think I'd rather have a mediocre lawyer than a mediocre engineer. The last one can lead to one's early demise...

Old 11-27-2012, 03:20 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
UGA is considered a "goal" school for many in the northern suburbs, not a "fall back". I find it interesting that so many of the high school seniors and juniors I know worry about getting in there. My own son, a current junior at UGA, told me over the Thanksgiving break that if he was enrolling next fall, he wouldn't feel as secure about his chances of getting into the honors program. Even the students recognize that the bar is pretty high these days.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:23 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Yes, in Georgia, but when I was living in Cali, I was never worried about getting into UGA...trust me, it isn't desired by those outside the state...it's just another flagship school within the state.

Meanwhile, University of California, Los Angeles has people from all over the country wanting to apply there and get in and has the most applicants out of any university in the country if I remember correctly.

That's why it is world-class....it gets to choose it's applicants...the best of the best.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
UGA is considered a "goal" school for many in the northern suburbs, not a "fall back". I find it interesting that so many of the high school seniors and juniors I know worry about getting in there. My own son, a current junior at UGA, told me over the Thanksgiving break that if he was enrolling next fall, he wouldn't feel as secure about his chances of getting into the honors program. Even the students recognize that the bar is pretty high these days.
This exactly. It's a shame GEORGIAN residents don't know, especially ones that populate forums ABOUT Georgia regularly. The OOS population has increased at UGA and Georgia Tech even with the tuition hike and economic turmoil.

Ah, Cali. I wouldn't mind being transferred to USC or UCLA myself, at least part time.

University of California-San Francisco has a personal space in my heart. When I did research at the University of Washington and University of Pacific, I'd jump at every chance to visit UCSF. Fantastic institution. Chemistry and pharmacology graduate students: Look no further than UCSF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta