Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 10:01 AM

475 posts, read 685,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
According to Skyview's FB page, the ferris wheel is going up on Friday.
That's scary. For some reason, I want it to take longer to assemble. I'm sure it's just a matter of plugging pieces together, but if this is supposed to be 'permanent', something about one-day assembly just doesn't come off right.

(I know that does not mean it will be ride-ready on Friday, but still...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 10:46 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Off topic, but have you taken the streetcar walking tour?
Not officially, but since it's basically my route to work, and I walk to work sometimes, I have walked it.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:47 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
That's scary. For some reason, I want it to take longer to assemble. I'm sure it's just a matter of plugging pieces together, but if this is supposed to be 'permanent', something about one-day assembly just doesn't come off right.

(I know that does not mean it will be ride-ready on Friday, but still...)
I'm surprised by how fast this process has been, too. Hopefully there will be a thorough testing and inspection process before it opens.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:12 AM
JPD

Newest report is that it's going to take all week get this thing put together, and they hope to be openfor business next weekend.

I was walking by when Morse Diggs was doing his report, but the camera panned up at the Tabernacle right when I was about to enter the frame. So, I didn't get to be in the scene, but some jackass flipping the bird at the camera did.

Above-ground construction underway on Ferris wheel - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5

Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
I'm surprised by how fast this process has been, too. Hopefully there will be a thorough testing and inspection process before it opens.
Hopefully it doesn't break from the axle and roll through downtown like Godzilla!

Old 07-08-2013, 06:59 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Hopefully it doesn't break from the axle and roll through downtown like Godzilla!
Depending which direction it goes it might be a good thing.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:41 PM
JPD

Went by there today. The A Frame is installed. There were at least ten people standing around taking pictures.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:17 AM

475 posts, read 685,223 times
From my office it looks as though it's going to be surprisingly small (more like a "county fair" type wheel than a permanent attraction). I am looking at it from above though, so maybe it's my perspective. 1/4 of the circular frame is in tact.

Camera phone:
Attached Thumbnails
Ferris wheel could be coming to downtown Atlanta!-wheel.jpg  

Old 07-10-2013, 08:19 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,738,339 times
Quote:
How often to roaming fairs spring up in mall parking lots seemingly overnight, with large ferris wheels...?
This ferris wheel project may seem like it's moving "so fast," but considering that other ferris wheels go up with fairs much faster, I think I would feel a lot safer with this one know they are actually taking their time building it safely and right.

Granted, those fair ferris wheels are no where near as large, nor are they known for being safe, I'm just saying based off of how fast they go up, I'm willing to be building a ferris wheel in general, no matter the size, is no quite a long process (in the world of construction).

Those 2 500ft+ ferris wheels that are both being built in Las Vegas right now DO seem like they are taking a LONG time to build for a ferris wheel though. Not sure that the problem is there, cause it doesn't even look like steady work is happening on them.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:11 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,738,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
From my office it looks as though it's going to be surprisingly small (more like a "county fair" type wheel than a permanent attraction). I am looking at it from above though, so maybe it's my perspective. 1/4 of the circular frame is in tact.

Camera phone:
Well, according to this list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ferris_wheels), Skyview Atlanta will end up being the second tallest ferris wheel in America.
Taller than the Seattle Great Wheel
(so, not only did we beat them in the playoffs, but we're building a bigger ferris wheel too...)
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l2p-HqPC2Q)
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc2nKH8xxGs)

Only the Texas Star in Dallas will be taller. The Original in Chicago no longer exist.

The Differences that I see in the Atlanta wheel and the Seattle wheel are:
The Seattle wheel is roughly $1 cheaper
The Seattle wheel is set against a more dramatic setting allowing it to appear taller. With Skyview where it is, looking out of the Tabernacle side at buildings comparable in height is going to be lack-luster.

I think Skyview could have and should have been placed at a more dramatic setting for the wheel to appear taller. Somewhere like Capitol Ave., next to Fulton Co. Stadium parking lot, (and turn the lot into a park with other amusement). But regardless, I'm happy to have it.

SkyView Atlanta
Seattle Great Wheel | Ferris Wheel | Things to Do in Seattle | Seattle Attractions | Seattle Great Wheel
Texas Star® Ferris wheel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta