Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 06:02 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
B2R speaks the truth. Despite my jesting with the MARTA gestapo on this board, I have talked with no less than 5 elected officials at the state and county level who could/would be a potential decision maker on MARTA to Cobb.

I ask them directly "can you bring rail transit to Cobb?" Every single one of them says they love the idea of transit to the NW Corridor . . . and then every single one has said "who's going to pay for it?"
The citizens of those counties. Bring high capacity, grade separate transit increases the value of land around stations, attracts more jobs to areas with stations (eg: perimeter center), and opens up the area to more jobs within that magical 45 minute commute umbrella.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 11:21 AM

749 posts, read 887,214 times
Quote:
B2R speaks the truth. Despite my jesting with the MARTA gestapo on this board, I have talked with no less than 5 elected officials at the state and county level who could/would be a potential decision maker on MARTA to Cobb.

I ask them directly "can you bring rail transit to Cobb?" Every single one of them says they love the idea of transit to the NW Corridor . . . and then every single one has said "who's going to pay for it?"
As someone in that position, isn't it their job to figure that out? As Born 2 Roll has stated time and again, there are plenty of ways to fund transit without necessarily raising taxes. It seems that the Braves stadium would have been a golden opportunity to do so.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:00 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times
Quote:

Lol.....they should pay for it the same way they paid for the Cobb County Braves. Funny they made that statement because clearly they can get money for things that they really want

Old 03-26-2015, 01:16 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,641,163 times
As a Cobb County resident, I would glady pay a 1% tax for transit out to Cobb County.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:31 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
As a Cobb County resident, I would glady pay a 1% tax for transit out to Cobb County.
That makes two of us... and there are many, many more. Someday...

Old 03-26-2015, 02:19 PM

559 posts, read 832,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Lol.....they should pay for it the same way they paid for the Cobb County Braves. Funny they made that statement because clearly they can get money for things that they really want

Big difference in $400 million for the Braves and the type of money it would take to do MARTA right in the NW corridor.

And MARTA hasn't exactly been the Dave Ramsey of public services over the last 50 years. Whatever you think the cost estimate would be, double it. Whatever the time expected to start and complete, add 5 years.

I'm pro transit in every way. But, those are just the facts and reality of what we're dealing with.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:26 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Big difference in $400 million for the Braves and the type of money it would take to do MARTA right in the NW corridor.

And MARTA hasn't exactly been the Dave Ramsey of public services over the last 50 years. Whatever you think the cost estimate would be, double it. Whatever the time expected to start and complete, add 5 years.

I'm pro transit in every way. But, those are just the facts and reality of what we're dealing with.
The added cost and time is not MARTA's fault. It's what happens when trying to apply for federal funds. If the state legislature would use the $1B for transit in the NW corridor instead of more lanes, then it wouldn't need federal funds and it could get completed earlier and cheaper.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:22 PM

Are the people that want this over 90 years old? They have to be old or extremely stupid. A fawking rapid bus system??? Are you kidding me???

Old 03-26-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:

What about adding the penny sales tax plus the $400 million. At least it's a start

Old 03-26-2015, 08:00 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The added cost and time is not MARTA's fault. It's what happens when trying to apply for federal funds. If the state legislature would use the $1B for transit in the NW corridor instead of more lanes, then it wouldn't need federal funds and it could get completed earlier and cheaper.
Assuming you're extending MARTA from Arts Center, a billion dollars would only get rail up to about the West Paces Ferry area. LRT probably wouldn't be much cheaper if it remained grade-separated and BRT would be a waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta