Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 07:40 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times

Advertisements

You are right, and that's our point. I never considered myself a racist, until I'd been here about 10 years and just started slowly getting silently angry about the status quo. I mean, our generation, and even our parents and some grandparents generations were not slaves, and we didn't have maids. Why is it okay for us to be treated this way, as if we owe them something for the hurt that was done years ago? I can't help what happened. I don't see why we can't all just move past the bad stuff and start over. I don't pretend to know what it feels like to be a black person. I only know that I, myself, go out of my way to be nice, simply because I know there are other whites that are not so nice.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:49 AM

22 posts, read 50,655 times
Calm down, she was barely 20 years old, and looked young, so she was a girl to me as I am 40. The one in the Kia was older, and therefore a woman. See how you just went off on me for nonsense? I am pointing out that every time I have an encounter with a 'fat black woman', they are unnecessarily hateful on me. It IS happening, and it is NOT cool. It is almost like smiling at them and saying 'excuse me' is a license to be spiteful.

If I appear ignorant, then oh well. I am giving my account of what I witness. From my perspective, it seems that the black people I encounter are rude and spiteful, spewing non-stop racially-biased hate for no good reason. If you can't handle that, then that isn't my problem. At every point in my post I noted that they were people I directly encountered.

I still smile and hold open the door. Try smiling back, or giving a nod, or something other than pointing out how much a racist I am.

Atlanta proper is 65% black from the last poll I saw, btw.

And for the record, I didn't categorize every black person in Atlanta as anything. If you want some sort of proof, let's go downtown to any all-black club or bar and see how long I can sit there without being accosted. Seriously. Thirty seconds? Ten minutes? Anyone, especially a black person, that claims most black people are NOT racist is not living in reality. Some teach their children that white people are the devil. Every white mom I know has taught their kids that everyone should be merited on who they are, without prejudice to their race.

I KNOW this is not the politically correct perspective. It is MY perspective.

Edit: It also doesn't happen every time, and what I posted were the negative ones. I have lots of black people, and all races of people, smile and say 'hey' or whatever, all the time. I'm not saying I run around looking for it. I noted the encounters, and gave my opinion. Again, if my opinion bothers you then lets debate about it...and the word is 'lose', not 'loose'. Loose change is falling coinage.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:57 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,266,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeTown View Post
If I appear ignorant, then oh well. I am giving my account of what I witness. From my perspective, it seems that the black people I encounter are rude and spiteful, spewing non-stop racially-biased hate for no good reason.
Given that this does not happen to many (most?) of us, have you considered the possibility that "your perspective" might be responsible for your experience? For example, do you think it might be possible that when a white person is rude to you, you dismiss them as a rude person? And when a black person is rude to you, you think of them as a spiteful and hateful black person who wants to kill whitey?

Since we're making racial generalizations anyway, I'll add that some of the friendliest, kind, and caring people I've ever known have been fat black women. In my experience, they pretty much have that down pat.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:00 AM

For real, convextech. I know there are many white people who totally go out of their way to be douchey to black people, and I am not one of them. Just trying to relay the problems I see about racists, and how the term' racist' should not just apply to whites. Oh, and no doubt that I have encountered many 'fbw' that are sweet as molasses...I think using the term repeatedly is probably not good...but it is just a description. I dunno how else to describe someone I had a 20 second encounter with other than physically. The 'shapely Kia driver'? Not accurate?

Everyone just needs to stop. Just smile, and let go of the anger. Lets all have a big hug.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:02 AM

68 posts, read 122,359 times
But don't you understand that you living here for the past 20 years and being the recipient of repeated racism, has turned you into what you have self-identifed as a racist (correct me if I am putting words into your mouth), is the exact reason that some of these folks are acting the way that they are acting? I will speak for myself as I do not know what their motivation was behind their actions. Growing up in Iowa and being on the end of many, many, many racial slurs, comments, and actions over the years turned me into somewhat of a racist against whites. Now I certainly realized that this was wrong and prayed on it for many many years as a child and as an adult. I felt wrong to cal myself a Christian but secretly had these negative feelings about white people. I realized once I left Iowa that it takes to much energy to be angry and I have learned to let experiences that I faced go, and move on with my life. I will not, however ever put myself in situations where I am the "only one" ever again (haven't managed to get over that yet

My point in sharing my story is this. It is not about slavery and I really wish everyone would stop referencing slavery as the cause of the anger. While that certainly is part of it, many people are still angry from the racism that they have experienced within their lifetime and so they project it on others when they feel that they are no longer the minority and have backing. Atlanta is a transplant city filled with progressive upwardly mobile African Americans. My guess is that some of them are experiencing what you both are...They have turned racist based on a life-time of experiencing racism themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You are right, and that's our point. I never considered myself a racist, until I'd been here about 10 years and just started slowly getting silently angry about the status quo. I mean, our generation, and even our parents and some grandparents generations were not slaves, and we didn't have maids. Why is it okay for us to be treated this way, as if we owe them something for the hurt that was done years ago? I can't help what happened. I don't see why we can't all just move past the bad stuff and start over. I don't pretend to know what it feels like to be a black person. I only know that I, myself, go out of my way to be nice, simply because I know there are other whites that are not so nice.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 AM

Now I completely agree with this statement And I really appreciate being able to dialogue about such a touchy topic without hurling insults. I think putting it out there in the universe, is the only way to move on from it. Acknowledging that it exists within all races and walks of life instead of ignoring it and acting like it doesn't exist. That is the only way to move on from it, in my book.

Quote:
For real, convextech. I know there are many white people who totally go out of their way to be douchey to black people, and I am not one of them. Just trying to relay the problems I see about racists, and how the term' racist' should not just apply to whites.

Everyone just needs to stop. Just smile, and let go of the anger.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 AM

You said a mouthful!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Given that this does not happen to many (most?) of us, have you considered the possibility that "your perspective" might be responsible for your experience? For example, do you think it might be possible that when a white person is rude to you, you dismiss them as a rude person? And when a black person is rude to you, you think of them as a spiteful and hateful black person who wants to kill whitey?

Since we're making racial generalizations anyway, I'll add that some of the friendliest, kind, and caring people I've ever known have been fat black women. In my experience, they pretty much have that down pat.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Calm down, she was barely 20 years old, and looked young, so she was a girl to me as I am 40. The one in the Kia was older, and therefore a woman. See how you just went off on me for nonsense? I am pointing out that every time I have an encounter with a 'fat black woman', they are unnecessarily hateful on me. It IS happening, and it is NOT cool. It is almost like smiling at them and saying 'excuse me' is a license to be spiteful.

If I appear ignorant, then oh well. I am giving my account of what I witness. From my perspective, it seems that the black people I encounter are rude and spiteful, spewing non-stop racially-biased hate for no good reason. If you can't handle that, then that isn't my problem. At every point in my post I noted that they were people I directly encountered.

I still smile and hold open the door. Try smiling back, or giving a nod, or something other than pointing out how much a racist I am.

And for the record, I didn't categorize every black person in Atlanta as anything. If you want some sort of proof, let's go downtown to any all-black club or bar and see how long I can sit there without being accosted. Seriously. Thirty seconds? Ten minutes? Anyone, especially a black person, that claims most black people are NOT racist is not living in reality. Some teach their children that white people are the devil. Every white mom I know has taught their kids that everyone should be merited on who they are, without prejudice to their race.

Edit: It also doesn't happen every time, and what I posted were the negative ones. I have lots of black people, and all races of people, smile and say 'hey' or whatever, all the time. I'm not saying I run around looking for it. I noted the encounters, and gave my opinion. Again, if my opinion bothers you then lets debate about it...and the word is 'lose', not 'loose'. Loose change is falling coinage.

I spoke too soon before reading this...This is disgusting and I have no words....

Old 06-11-2013, 08:08 AM

Fair enough, Cameron. I probably don't see a rude white person as a rude 'white person'. But in those cases they aren't being rude because I am white...
...which also can totally just be my perspective. Believe me, I am going for objectivity here.

I just can't stand it when people think that all racism, everywhere, is always white-on-black, and that black people can't be racist. They totally can, and that was what I was trying to get across on my original post.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Wow, you sound so short-sided and racist. My God, I can not believe how many insults are in this post. Ugh, this truly makes me sad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta