Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 10:45 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times

Advertisements

Elevated monorails are awesome. Great space efficiency, elegant great looks and minimal sized support beam infrastructure, and very quiet and smooth operation. Also cool that you get to kinda feel above it all, typically with great views.

Just need a small support column every 30 feet or so, along side the road or in the median or wherever. Probably could design a huge monorail system for Perimeter Center, without even losing any lanes, or affecting the roads at all.

Elevated light rail is comparable I guess, but all the power lines above it are so ugly. Plus I think monorails can usually make tighter turns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 11:52 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
I'm finding the comments in this thread a bit interesting.

I fear when considering monorails too many people have a disney monorail syndrome. (ie. Bryant's point 'monorails are a joke')

They don't take it serious and/or they only see it as an expense for an exhibition of some type. That isn't entirely accurate or fair, the theme park's used of a monorail is just very well known.

All a monorail is a single track...that''s it. There is no unified monorail technology, single car type, or way of implementation.

Monorails are a bit more common than many may think, especially with small distance circulators that mainly need to run on all elevated tracks. They are also used on some APM systems, which is not an exclusively different type of technology. It is just automated... there are different ways to build and implement it.

The Airtrain at Newark's airport is a monorail. The reason they are not common is they are easier to build when its an all elevated system. This is also when they are cheaper in comparisons. Light rail is favorable when you need to run at ground level, underground, and/or elevated. This is why monorail's are usually passed over. (ie. I would never suggest monorail as a line from Midtown to Kennesaw when large parts of the route would be more efficiently built at grade, below grade, and above grade.)

When it remains a small system that doesn't need to be a part of regional expansions and will pretty much entirely be elevated with no worried about ground level/underground expansion, monorail becomes a APM good option. It makes the elevated structure cheaper and takes up less visual space. The rubber tire based approach many monorails have, similar to the 2 "rail" APM systems are also convenient for limiting noise in a circulator in a business district.

The thing to watch out for... I'm not sure how true this is, but I have heard there are additional long-term maintenance costs/issues on the vehicles themselves. The way they interact with the single "rail" is a bit more complicated.

I still suspect the most likely way forward is the creation of shuttle/transit only ground lanes on key stretches. It is also the more likely to be in reach of costs/funding. You can bypass some of the worse traffic when you're not traveling to a freeway, but there are parts of the traffic you can't avoid. A mile or two of cautiously situated shuttle/transit lanes can go a long way.... and they don't necessarily have to be on the busiest road. I also like empowering 3rd party shuttles to have a way around traffic. I mention this, because there are some large office developments in peripheral areas of Perimeter Center that will never make it on some type of circulator route.

Don't get me wrong... I loved that Simpson's episode!! That was a classic!!!

Old 11-30-2015, 11:24 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Isn't a people mover on a single track too? I can't figure out the difference between the two, but there obviously is one.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:39 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Isn't a people mover on a single track too? I can't figure out the difference between the two, but there obviously is one.
A PRT is a single vehicle and can operate in an on-demand mode, where a rider 'calls' the vehicle and once boarded the vehicle only makes 1 stop, the riders requested destination.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan...s_of_operation

Old 11-30-2015, 12:04 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_mover

People movers can be either mono track vehicles or two.

Basically a people mover means it only covers a small area, but in some cases (like Vancouver), it covers a whole city, and is mainly called a "people mover" instead of a light rail, because it is fully automated.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:20 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
So, is this a clever joke on there not being a plan, or did your image just mess up?
I'm guessing you are not a Simpsons fan.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:43 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,695,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I'm guessing you are not a Simpsons fan.
I am very much a Simpsons fan, but the image was not showing up when I tried to look at it. It was just a broken image link.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:42 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Sydney removed their downtown monorail system, that ran in a loop, in 2013.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Monorail

Old 11-30-2015, 03:52 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Sydney removed their downtown monorail system, that ran in a loop, in 2013.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Monorail
Wonder why they took it down?

Old 11-30-2015, 04:32 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,695,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Wonder why they took it down?
Wikipedia cites quotes that basically amounted to three main reasons:
  1. It would be too costly to pay for the needed upgrades and repairs as the trains and system approached its economic lifetime.
  2. It was never really used much, nor was it embraced by the community at large.
  3. It was not well integrated into the transit network at large. It was treated as an independent entity instead of an extension of a bigger system. This hurt its usefulness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta