Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 12:49 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,701,182 times

Advertisements

I've heard this announced all over the radio & tv for the past couple of weeks or so as an upcoming problem for airport passengers. The nature of it is that the south security line is going to be closed for upgrades that will take 2 weeks to complete so this is not a sudden, unannounced thing that's happening. Pardon me for not recalling for certain but I believe that the closure began late Wednesday or early Thursday.
I don't know however if the same thing will happen down the road with the north security line as well.
So, it's not a "service" problem but the result of a planned upgrade that's underway, kind of like the nature of the just-announced big spate of upcoming work that will take 2 years to complete to upgrade part of I-85 in Gwinnett; i.e. a mess in the interim but hopefully something that will be an improvement in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 12:50 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,755,049 times
They better have this shyt fixed by Memorial day weekend

Old 05-06-2016, 12:53 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,701,182 times
Default TSA Lines..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
They better have this shyt fixed by Memorial day weekend

As per my post of a minute ago, with a planned 2 week work period for the project, your concern should not be a problem.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:58 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
As per my post of a minute ago, with a planned 2 week work period for the project, your concern should not be a problem.
They've said it's a three week closure, not two weeks. They're scheduled to reopen on May 24. They're going to be cutting it very close, and they should have waited until after Memorial Day weekend just so that disaster would not even be a possibility.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:00 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,778,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I've heard this announced all over the radio & tv for the past couple of weeks or so as an upcoming problem for airport passengers. The nature of it is that the south security line is going to be closed for upgrades that will take 2 weeks to complete so this is not a sudden, unannounced thing that's happening. Pardon me for not recalling for certain but I believe that the closure began late Wednesday or early Thursday.
I don't know however if the same thing will happen down the road with the north security line as well.
So, it's not a "service" problem but the result of a planned upgrade that's underway, kind of like the nature of the just-announced big spate of upcoming work that will take 2 years to complete to upgrade part of I-85 in Gwinnett; i.e. a mess in the interim but hopefully something that will be an improvement in the long run.

No....

Its both. It has been an increasing discussion lately well before this closure.

It is a 3 week outage, but the line going into the Atrium has been an increasing problem well before the closure, which just happened.

Its partly the dog sniffing exercise, partly the lack or personnel on duty, particularly at the start of the day for the early morning business fliers.

The South closure will make things worse, but they are also suppose to move those personnel to the central lanes and open more of the screening stations at once. If this is true that line should move faster to prevent the back up, except at times the main line already had all screening stations open. (This was rarely true in the mornings)

Old 05-08-2016, 10:56 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,778,524 times
I just flew out this evening. At about 5pm is was a 40 minute line. It backed up through the atrium to the baggage claim.

Parts of the line moved quickly. The atrium was single file and there is no zig zag, so I actually got through that part in just 10 min.

Ultimately though, the problem was only half the screening stations were open in te main area. I'm really curious as to whether they moved the same number of personnel/screening station opening from the south to the main lines. I know there are peak moments where that might not be possible, but more were ready to open this evening.

I'll give some credit to both TSA and airport personnel. They seemed to be going it their way to act polite given the circumstances.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:42 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,832,003 times
Having the line through the atrium was pretty common, even a couple years ago. The sad part is, that's like the halfway point nowadays on a monday morning. The end of the line is out past baggage claim.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:40 AM

1,816 posts, read 1,151,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
TSA lines at Hartsfield-Jackson winding through terminal | AJC@ATL

This is insane. Absolutely insane. Normally I'm not a fan of privatizing public services, but I will make exceptions for terrible service such as this. This is more than just a hassle--time is money, and it costs the metro area a lot of money every day to have security lines be longer than some lines at Six Flags.
I just took a trip on Friday and rather than the normal 15-20 minutes it took me about 30-35 minutes to get through security, but the line was constantly moving and security personnel, were very helpful and professional. So yes a bit inconvenient but not as bad as most on this board make it out to be and for me personally a complete non event. This so called problem is also due to work being done on the South Terminal security which required a closure so therefore making lines longer than normal.

Ever since Ghetto was used in the original post on this subject I have come to the conclusion that most have an agenda, and are trying to find a solution where this is no real problem, and also denigrate hard working security personnel who are doing their best under difficult circumstances.

And BTW if you all find this to much to deal with then try driving and see how that works out for you.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:47 AM

1,160 posts, read 713,455 times
they need to increase the number of Pre-check or make it easier to obtain for the frequent traveler. They also need to reserve the full body scanner for whatever passengers they deem worthy of further screening; they just take too long and often require yet another pat down.

It's just another inefficient government run program that inconveniences citizens in the name of safety.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:50 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,124,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
they need to increase the number of Pre-check or make it easier to obtain for the frequent traveler. They also need to reserve the full body scanner for whatever passengers they deem worthy of further screening; they just take too long and often require yet another pat down.

It's just another inefficient government run program that inconveniences citizens in the name of safety.
"Security theater."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta