Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 09:53 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
As an occasional flyer, I have a few thoughts on this. I'm no expert, so please tell me what you all think.

1) I can't comprehend why airlines charge to check bags but one carry-on is free. To me, this should be opposite: checked bags are free, and you have to pay $50 to carry a bag on. This would encourage checked bags which would not only make boarding planes faster, there would also be many fewer bags to go through security checks and that line would move faster.

2) They need more "pre-stage" and "post-stage" areas near security. How often have you been stuck behind someone taking off their belt, emptying their pockets, etc? How often have you been that person? It's not your fault...there aren't suitable places before security to do this. There should be a reserved area where you can take everything out of your pockets, remove belts and watches, etc. before you ever get into line. Similarly, there should be more areas to get rearranged when you exit.

3) Over the past year, I have flown to New York, Orlando, Rome and London....none of these airports make you take off your shoes anymore. Why are we still engaging in this ridiculousness because one idiot tried to set his shoes on fire like 15 years ago? If the full body scanner can see through my clothes, can't it see through my shoes, too? I don't pretend to know all the tech stuff, all I know is that other airports have figured out how to not do this anymore, and security in London was MUCH stricter than Atlanta (I got searched for stuff in my bag that flew through ATL security with no problem). It really makes the line take a long time because most people put their shoes in a bin of their own, tying up the conveyor belt.

4) Make a special line for people with no laptops. Removing your laptop from a bag is time consuming, plus you have to put it in its own bin. I say, create one or more lines exclusively for people who aren't traveling with laptops.

I finally gave up on all this and am going through Global Entry, which comes with TSA pre-check. I should have it next month. It costs $100, but last 5 years. Even as infrequently as I fly, I think it will be worth it to not have to take off my shoes or remove my laptop. Although, last time I went to the airport, the pre-check line was actually longer than the regular one.
Fly naked, it saves time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 10:22 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times
It would save a lot of time if they would just let me check a bag free....then I wouldn't have to haul it all the way to gate and volunteer to check it at no cost after they realize they're going to run out of overhead space. If only the kiosks could figure that out ahead of time, it would save everyone involved a lot of trouble.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:06 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,755,049 times
I will be using the North Terminal in a couple of days. Crazy part is I never realized there were 3 security check-ins because I normally just follow the signs to the main security check-in

Old 05-24-2016, 01:23 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,832,003 times
Quote:
It would save a lot of time if they would just let me check a bag free....then I wouldn't have to haul it all the way to gate and volunteer to check it at no cost after they realize they're going to run out of overhead space. If only the kiosks could figure that out ahead of time, it would save everyone involved a lot of trouble.
Yeah I feel like if you are flying Delta, and in zone 2, they should just give you the option to check that bag before security . . . because odds are they will be gate checking everything by the time you board.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:32 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times
When I'm going to a destination, I'm a jerk about making sure I carry on a bag, even boarding before my zone is called and doing everything I can to make sure I don't entrust my luggage to the airline and risk not having it on my trip.

On the way home, I'd rather check it and not have to worry about it. If it doesn't make the flight, I don't care...it will arrive when it arrives.

I wish they could figure out how to prioritize this and make sure those that really need their bags have them while those who don't care check them.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:34 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,823,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
The AJC airport tracker this morning shows that while domestic south remains closed, the other lanes are only running 15-30 minutes, which I don't buy at all. This tracker could really screw people up.

I don't think the wait times are the reason for the firing. We were warned at the start of the project that delays might be severe. So that was expected.
i agree that a long line is likely not the only source of the firing. When projects go badly, there is a gang of reasons, and this project is going badly. Some of those reasons have nothing specifically to do with the project. I'm still guessing problems with how money was being used and this was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:01 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Quote:
When I'm going to a destination, I'm a jerk about making sure I carry on a bag, even boarding before my zone is called and doing everything I can to make sure I don't entrust my luggage to the airline and risk not having it on my trip.

On the way home, I'd rather check it and not have to worry about it. If it doesn't make the flight, I don't care...it will arrive when it arrives.

I wish they could figure out how to prioritize this and make sure those that really need their bags have them while those who don't care check them.

Everyone feels like they really need their bags.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:48 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,991,098 times
The main reason checking bags costs money and carry-on is free is that airlines have a straightforward mechanism to charge for checked bags, but not carry-on. They could sell you a tag for carry-on bags, but that is undesirable for several reasons (elite fliers who don't pay either way will be burdened by the process, people will get pissed about having to pay to carry on their purse, airlines don't want to have the HR and logistical headache of selling and enforcing the carry-on payment regime, is a grocery bag full of clothes a carry-on but a grocery bag full of chinese food isn't?, etc).

It works for a couple low cost carriers on a much smaller scale, but for big airlines with multiple levels of service and tiers of passengers it would be a nightmare.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:38 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,161,287 times
New security lanes at Hartsfield-Jackson processing more passengers | AJC@ATL

Anyone go through security this weekend? How was it?

Old 09-05-2016, 11:52 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,444,619 times
World's busiest airport reports lowest security wait times in seven years - Airport World Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta