Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 10:29 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,161,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I just took a trip on Friday and rather than the normal 15-20 minutes it took me about 30-35 minutes to get through security, but the line was constantly moving and security personnel, were very helpful and professional. So yes a bit inconvenient but not as bad as most on this board make it out to be and for me personally a complete non event. This so called problem is also due to work being done on the South Terminal security which required a closure so therefore making lines longer than normal.
Honestly I don't think the TSA workers are the problem at all. The issues of not having enough lanes open is a management issue, not a labor issue.

Quote:
Ever since Ghetto was used in the original post on this subject I have come to the conclusion that most have an agenda, and are trying to find a solution where this is no real problem, and also denigrate hard working security personnel who are doing their best under difficult circumstances.
It was the title of that thread that encouraged me to start a new one.

Quote:
And BTW if you all find this to much to deal with then try driving and see how that works out for you.
Well, some people are. The issue is how far one has to travel before flying becomes more feasible than driving. That number will vary considerably from person to person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 11:07 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,236,768 times
There's a lot of coverage of the backups in the news today - The AJC and the TV news stations have jumped on this. Maybe the negative publicity will provide the airport the necessary motivation to address the issue.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:22 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
There's a lot of coverage of the backups in the news today - The AJC and the TV news stations have jumped on this. Maybe the negative publicity will provide the airport the necessary motivation to address the issue.
That assumes the airport itself is managing the TSA areas, which may not be the case.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:54 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,161,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
Atlanta airport wait times: Long security lines Monday morning | AJC@ATL

God be with Hartsfield-Jackson Airport if they don't get the south security checkpoint reopened by Memorial Day weekend.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:52 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,444,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Honestly I don't think the TSA workers are the problem at all. The issues of not having enough lanes open is a management issue, not a labor issue.

It was the title of that thread that encouraged me to start a new one.

Well, some people are. The issue is how far one has to travel before flying becomes more feasible than driving. That number will vary considerably from person to person.
Oh get over the thread title and move on.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:10 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,036,522 times
Meh. From what I have read, the closures were necessary for adding programs/Technology to other lines that would speed up security for frequent travelers. Other airports (like DEN) already have CLEAR.

I don't know much more than that, but if Delta and Atlanta-Hartsfield made the decision to upgrade the security then it seems to me that they (and not the TSA) are in control of which gates are open and closed.

Long lines are no fun, but it seems like temporary-but-necessary pain to make the overall process faster.

It might be easy for me to say this because I recently joined TSA Precheck and totally bypassed any abnormally long lines on my flight last week.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:15 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,775,133 times
Flew out this morning at 8:30am and the times were less than 10 minutes.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:38 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,991,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Without knowing the time of day it's hard to know whether this is unusual. I've observed the line going through the atrium many times; I posted a picture of it happening in the other TSA thread just a few weeks ago.

With that said, ATL security lines are definitely horrendous. I'm flying out in a few hours; I'll report back on whether lines are unusually long for Friday afternoon.

My knee jerk reaction to the south checkpoint being closed is it shouldn't matter; the Atlanta security issues are a staffing problem, not a facility problem. There are typically numerous closed lanes in the main checkpoint during the afternoon.
Forgot to follow up on this.

Last Friday evening the lines were indeed atrocious, snaking through the atrium, and there were many security lines closed in the main checkpoint.

The issue is, once again, NOT the workers themselves, and during all but peak times it is certainly not the south checkpoint closure either. The issue is persistent understaffing of the Atlanta checkpoints on the part of the TSA.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:06 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,036,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Flew out this morning at 8:30am and the times were less than 10 minutes.
Morning lines are always much, much shorter than those for flights in the afternoon or evening.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:10 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,832,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Morning lines are always much, much shorter than those for flights in the afternoon or evening.
Every monday disagrees with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta