Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 09:09 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,698,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Visit east atlanta enough and you will see. I go to that part every weekend and know others that live around there and they have to deal with these day time break ins, armed robberies, and more. Its a small minority committing these crimes but enough to make it annoying and wish they would move out.

Living around loud and vulgar teen with saggin pants, gangs, drugs, etc gets really old really quick when you just want some peace and quiet. Even alot of churches deal with constant car break in on Sundays during service around there.
The difference here, though, is that OP is advocating getting rid of everyone who can't afford to stay. That's reguardless of which group they happen to be a part of, or even their deposition. You know, gentrification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 09:13 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,423,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
This is true.

But let's not forget that the non-black peole who have moved into East Atlanta are the ones who brought diversity to the area
Hmmm.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:39 PM

16,711 posts, read 29,551,495 times
Quote:
Visit east atlanta enough and you will see. I go to that part every weekend and know others that live around there and they have to deal with these day time break ins, armed robberies, and more. Its a small minority committing these crimes but enough to make it annoying and wish they would move out.

Living around loud and vulgar teen with saggin pants, gangs, drugs, etc gets really old really quick when you just want some peace and quiet. Even alot of churches deal with constant car break in on Sundays during service around there.

See links above.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Hmmm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Get your history correct. It was the "non-black people" that white-flighted out of the area that caused any lack of diversity in the first place.

It amazes me that there are still people out there that see all-black areas and think that is due to a notion of black people not wanting diversity. As if.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Good point, you are right about that!

Are there any areas of Atlanta that are majority black today that have always been that way? I really don't know if East Atlanta ever had white people that fled in the 60s or 70s or whenever, but I'm kind of curious as to whether there are any areas that have just always been black enclaves.
Quote:
After the Civil War in Atlanta, blacks were only concentrated in a few neighborhoods immediately around Downtown--and many (if not most) were still racially mixed. Later, blacks started stretching to eastern parts of Old Fourth Ward. After WWII, blacks started stretching to neighborhoods to the west and to the south.

White flight in Atlanta began in the late 50s and into the 60s and 70s.

Off the top of my head--always black enclaves (after Civil War/Reconstruction)

Buttermilk Bottom?
Sweet Auburn?
South Atlanta?
Reynoldstown?
Summerhill (Jewish and Black)
Mechanicsville?
Vine City?
Peoplestown?
Pittsburgh?
A few other neighborhoods just to the west of Downtown

*some (if not most) of the neighborhoods above were probably racially-mixed initially

Remember, "black enclaves" were due to Jim Crow, de jure segregation, etc. Not some notion of black exclusivity.

ATLTJL,

You need to read this book:

Kruse, K.M.: White Flight: Atlanta and the Making of Modern Conservatism. (eBook and Paperback)

Buy it tomorrow! You won't regret it.

Read above.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:25 AM

47 posts, read 57,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
root out the unwanted elements? What's your definition of unwanted?
Life long criminals. And I don't care what color they are. The projects were tore down in an attempt to scatter the criminal hubs that had formed. Now, while they didn't have a place to live, they didn't leave. They moved a few minutes down the road and kept up the criminal activity.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Read above.
I don't care about white flight. I don't care about why they left. It's 2016 and all races should be able to live with one another in the same area without having to fear for their life. I don't want any one race removed, but gentrification, building up a run down area known for being nothing more then a hub for drugs and murder is NOT a bad thing. I don't care how many books you read. The community needs to be safe for everyone and there's a lot of black people that benefit from their neighborhoods receiving a well needed facelift.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:34 AM

You're a moron. You really are. It's people like you, that offer no real solutions. Always pulling the race card, instead of doing anything to actually help. Being black doesn't mean that you have to automatically side with black people, especially if some of those people are doing wrong. It's your way of thinking that segregates people. Get your head out your ... and stop concentrating on race and think about how to make the city better for everyone.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:

Exactly. And community service isn't going to help these kids. I'm sure they were given community service the first 10 times they were caught. They decided upon this lifestyle and they aren't going to stop because you ask them nicely. And it is a small minority. I heard a cop say that it's a few hundred causing havoc and it's the same ones that get arrested over and over again. These are not my kids. It's not my job to look out for them. It's my job to look out for my family and keep them safe from these kids. And i won't apologize for it. And pulling out the race card every time someone mentions jail sentences, stricter laws and making the community better is just really ridiculous.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muses24 View Post
You're a moron. You really are. It's people like you, that offer no real solutions. Always pulling the race card, instead of doing anything to actually help. Being black doesn't mean that you have to automatically side with black people, especially if some of those people are doing wrong. It's your way of thinking that segregates people. Get your head out your ... and stop concentrating on race and think about how to make the city better for everyone.

The truth about you hurts, huh?

I do think you are trolling as Black, though.

#struckachord

Old 07-04-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
The difference here, though, is that OP is advocating getting rid of everyone who can't afford to stay. That's reguardless of which group they happen to be a part of, or even their deposition. You know, gentrification.
I don't believe that gentrification means getting rid of anyone. I believe that as value goes up, the ones that can't afford to stay will leave, and that's anyone, despite race.

But what is your solution. Every time someone is for gentrification they're called a racist. I don't think it's racist to want to improve your area and therefore make it safer for everyone. Really, what would your solution be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta