Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:33 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Quick reminder: Fulton County Stadium, Turner Field, and the proposed new stadium

1. were not near mass transit
2. poured extra traffic into the worst road in Atlanta
3. were in dangerous and unpleasant neighborhoods
4. were far from the fan base

Perhaps the geniuses that failed with 3 stadium plans over half a century should be quiet.
1. lol. They were as far from a heavy rail stop as the Cumberland Bus Terminal is from STP. Plus had a dedicated shuttle to the central transit station in the city 1.5 miles away (closer than many STP parking lots).
2. Better than 285 / 75
3. The Braves were terrible neighbors, that neighborhood is great just a few blocks away and now seeing huge improvements that the Braves are gone. So some criticism is due to the city (but still mostly the Braves) for failing to support development of the surrounding area.
4. Apparently not. Looks Braves attendance is still not going to beat the attendance before they announced this move even with the "new stadium effect".

But reality is, Braves saw an attendance hit when they announced they were leaving the city. It is now becoming clear they may not even make up that difference even with "the new stadium effect".

For those STP die-hard supporters, what is the line you will consider this new stadium a failure? If they somehow end up with the lowest attendance since 1991 (excluding Turner lame-duck years) would that not be a strong indicator that this stadium was not worth it?

Old 04-20-2017, 10:04 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,268,603 times
A stadium is just a stadium. It's just a place. I don't think it can be a failure or a success. It's the Braves who can be a failure or success, with their play, coaching, management, leadership, and ownership. And most importantly, with their results.

I don't give half a crap about the Braves though, either way. I was a huge fan in the 90's. But I think I've only been to 1 game (at the Ted, a few years ago), in probably 15 years now. I've enjoyed watching some of the home games on TV this season this past week. I heard about the move to Cobb when everyone else did. At that point I was living in Alpharetta, and then I moved to Sandy Springs for a couple years, and then I bought a home here in Vinings where I'll probably be for a few years or more, but my decision had really nothing to do with the stadium, pro or con wise. And it had nothing to do with MARTA not being here, or Cobb politics vs my own. I just simply liked the condo and it was a good deal, and I like the area and the proximity to things.

So, you know, whatever. I'm glad to have the Battery's nice selection of restaurants nearby. Whether this stadium and the move was a wise choice from whomever's perspective, I don't know and I couldn't care less.

I thought that large north pinnacle/gulch area at Atlantic Station would have been a good spot for a new stadium. But maybe it wouldn't have been for whatever reasons. I really have no idea.

But as for them "leaving the city", if they had moved to East Point or Decatur, they would have left the city, but you wouldn't have started 50 threads complaining about it. They're in unincorporated Atlanta 2 miles on one side of the river, that looks and feels exactly like incorporated Atlanta 2 miles on the other side of the river. So what? Atlanta is not NYC, it's a car-oriented suburb (of itself) that people like to pretend is an urban core area like the large cities of the northeast.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:51 AM

356 posts, read 317,112 times
Went last night, traffic was a breeze. A lot easier in and out than similar sized crowds at the Ted. As a place to purely watch baseball the stadium is similar to the Ted. As an overall experience, it's much better. Food, fun, parking, traffic all much better. I'll be back soon!

Jvsh you're just wrong about the location being worse than the Ted. To be honest, you sound like a jilted lover that can't just be happy for your ex. Angry that they left, but then saying you're glad they left, the area is "better off". Obsessively following them online, looking for things to spin into bad news. Hmmm, the traffic isn't bad...I know, nitpick attendance for a terrible team!

It's funny. Thank you for the free entertainment.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:11 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Quick reminder: Fulton County Stadium, Turner Field, and the proposed new stadium

1. were not near mass transit
2. poured extra traffic into the worst road in Atlanta
3. were in dangerous and unpleasant neighborhoods
4. were far from the fan base

Perhaps the geniuses that failed with 3 stadium plans over half a century should be quiet.
AFCS and Turner Field were less than 1 mile from a transit station. MARTA provided free-transfers to shuttles that operated in dedicated lanes near the stadium. Visitors at least had the option of utilizing MARTA.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:48 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,266,282 times
Hooo-leeee ****, this is never going to end.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:00 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,268,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Visitors at least had the option of utilizing MARTA.
Not really. It's extremely inconvenient for 90% of the region to board the stub of a MARTA train system in the first place, especially the NW corridor, where the nearest stop is so out of the way that it's pointless.

Then you get off at a station that's a mile from the stadium? No wonder only 5% used MARTA to the Ted.

A Cobb commuter rail system with a stop at Cumberland, would also rely on a shuttle bus, but at least it would connect both with Downtown Atlanta, and to north OTP suburbs where there are a lot of Braves fans.

And still, only 10% at most will ever use it. But it would be a good option to have, and provide traffic relief.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:50 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,641,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
jsvh is hilarious

The Braves only played a few games at the stadium, Attendance is actually higher than last season, Braves aren't as hot as they was in the 90's and 2000's but jsvh already trying to compare to 20 years at Turner, bruh this is hilarious the thread is screaming desperation to hate.

Unbelievable

Old 04-21-2017, 08:02 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,641,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
1. lol. They were as far from a heavy rail stop as the Cumberland Bus Terminal is from STP. Plus had a dedicated shuttle to the central transit station in the city 1.5 miles away (closer than many STP parking lots).
2. Better than 285 / 75
3. The Braves were terrible neighbors, that neighborhood is great just a few blocks away and now seeing huge improvements that the Braves are gone. So some criticism is due to the city (but still mostly the Braves) for failing to support development of the surrounding area.
4. Apparently not. Looks Braves attendance is still not going to beat the attendance before they announced this move even with the "new stadium effect".

But reality is, Braves saw an attendance hit when they announced they were leaving the city. It is now becoming clear they may not even make up that difference even with "the new stadium effect".

For those STP die-hard supporters, what is the line you will consider this new stadium a failure? If they somehow end up with the lowest attendance since 1991 (excluding Turner lame-duck years) would that not be a strong indicator that this stadium was not worth it?
Really jsvh, why do you care so much? If the Braves were such a bad neighbor, and Summerhill (along with surrounding hoods) will be better off with the new GSU associated development than the CoA wins and you should be happy. I live in Cumberland and I appreciate the STP related development in my area and I am happy. WIN/WIN right?

Last night my evening walk resulted in my grabbing a $8 ticket and watching the last half of the game last night. Great stadium and I will attend many more games than I did in the past due to convenience.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:05 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,755,049 times
Damn. Didnt know they decrease the price of tickets after the game starts ^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:05 AM

1,054 posts, read 922,876 times
The stadium has 10,000 fewer seats, you think attendance might be lower???

Any bets on the attendance for the next home stand?

Butthurt gonna butthurt.
Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta