Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 09:46 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,698,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Grant Park is not 10 blocks from Midtown...the photos were in response to someone's assertion that there is a ghetto 10 blocks from Midtown - and that the ghetto is O4W. It's not a ghetto, and neither is Grant Park. I've been there in the evening, but I have no need to go there late at night so I have no idea what it's like...you are talking about Grant Park the Park, correct?

What is this about Popeye's? I will never be at a Popeye's anywhere in town, day or night. I doubt the dealers or the prostitutes make much money hanging there.

Oh my God! Broken car windows in a big city! Do you really think that this is unusual and that every big city doesn't experience things like car break-ins and thefts? Come on...
I dont understand why your so defensive. Clearly you don't live here so you only what you see what you see when you DRIVE into the city to hangout during the day. Sorry in all the areas I've lived in Murray Hill and East Village NY, Dupont and Adams Morgan DC, Lakeview and Lincoln Park Chicago - all which could be called "those cities midtowns" I've never come across so much broken glass. It is a shocker. It's actually sad that you think this is the norm for nicer areas of a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 10:06 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I dont understand why your so defensive. Clearly you don't live here so you only what you see what you see when you DRIVE into the city to hangout during the day. Sorry in all the areas I've lived in Murray Hill and East Village NY, Dupont and Adams Morgan DC, Lakeview and Lincoln Park Chicago - all which could be called "those cities midtowns" I've never come across so much broken glass. It is a shocker. It's actually sad that you think this is the norm for nicer areas of a city.
I don't live WHERE? I live in Atlanta, my friend...pay attention. Where did you find me being defensive? Yes, I made fun of you a little bit, but only where it was deserved...and it's not about being defensive, but more about wanting to put the truth out there rather than a bunch of mess.

Oh, I don't think it's the norm for cities - I think it's much better than the norm for a big city.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:54 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,698,843 times
Quote:
I don't live WHERE? I live in Atlanta, my friend...pay attention. Where did you find me being defensive? Yes, I made fun of you a little bit, but only where it was deserved...and it's not about being defensive, but more about wanting to put the truth out there rather than a bunch of mess.

Oh, I don't think it's the norm for cities - I think it's much better than the norm for a big city.
Where in Atlanta do you live? because I meant you don't live in Midtown or nearby.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:35 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
To Ebck120:

Judging from your posts it sounds like you are around Bedford Pine/Renaissance Park Area. About 10 blocks away would be Boulevard, which is indeed as ghetto as it gets. Then there are bunch of chain fast food places along that stretch of North Ave and a section of Ponce.

Keep in mind though that's a very small part of Midtown/Downtown that's still in transition. There are also extenuating circumstances that keep that area from revitalizing. For instance, the stretch of Boulevard from Ponce to Freedom Parkway is owned almost completely by one slumlord realtor. He snatched up a bunch of properties in the earlier 70s and 80s and turned them all into Section 8 housing and has refused the sell. The city can't do anything about it because they have no authority to do so. This fact alone has cause a lot of trouble for the area and has kept it from looking like the rest of area surrounding it.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Where in Atlanta do you live? because I meant you don't live in Midtown or nearby.
How did you come to that conclusion? I never have said exactly where I live, and I won't be publishing that information. Suffice it to say that I live in or nearby Midtown.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
To Ebck120:

Judging from your posts it sounds like you are around Bedford Pine/Renaissance Park Area. About 10 blocks away would be Boulevard, which is indeed as ghetto as it gets. Then there are bunch of chain fast food places along that stretch of North Ave and a section of Ponce.

Keep in mind though that's a very small part of Midtown/Downtown that's still in transition. There are also extenuating circumstances that keep that area from revitalizing. For instance, the stretch of Boulevard from Ponce to Freedom Parkway is owned almost completely by one slumlord realtor. He snatched up a bunch of properties in the earlier 70s and 80s and turned them all into Section 8 housing and has refused the sell. The city can't do anything about it because they have no authority to do so. This fact alone has cause a lot of trouble for the area and has kept it from looking like the rest of area surrounding it.
Yes, that is not a great area...but it's not a ghetto. It's a small bad section of one street in an overall good neighborhood - not an uncommon occurrence.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:57 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Yes, that is not a great area...but it's not a ghetto. It's a small bad section of one street in an overall good neighborhood - not an uncommon occurrence.
True

Old 10-13-2009, 08:08 AM

815 posts, read 2,137,942 times
Quote:
LOL @ your entire post; dude you actually said that Midtown Atlanta is ghetto compared to Adams Morgan?? I would say your chances of getting robbed are much greater in Adams Morgan than in Midtown. And you probably don’t see as much broken glass because most people don’t drive to Adams Morgan, they walk from the Metro. And how is having 1 bad area in Midtown (Bedford-Pines & Boulevard) any different than the couple of areas around Adams Morgan (Shaw, Florida Ave. just to name a few)?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:57 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonieboy View Post
Yes sir I had been here a few times and liked it as a tourist but living here is totally different, very homesick.

To the OP, I understand were you are coming from. There is no place like home. You just admitted that you are homesick. That is the underlying problem here. You probably miss your friends, family, and the environment that you are use to. But to get over that, you have to venture out and discover the things that you didn't know about Atlanta. Like many have stated, give it time and you may like Atlanta for what it is (Atlanta) and not what it is not (New York City).

Old 10-13-2009, 09:50 AM

16 posts, read 257,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post

....so I can move to a more pleasant place, where people aren't as unfriendly and full of themselves...

....Oh, and don't even bother with the previous poster saying you should find community... it ain't going to happen..
that's funny!

I don't understand why a couple of people have gotten so annoyed at expressions of upsetment at the op's post. Even the op posted it knowing others would likely get upset by it.
Honestly,I even thought the post was a set-up!
anyway...

There's an Atlanta Philharmonic Orchestra,did you know that? On their website,if I read it right,their next performance may be Nov. 14th. Why not go to it?
There's also The Shakespeare Tavern,it looks like they have shows frequently. And if you go to one,you'll have seen something by Shakespeare! Community theatre is very underestimated!

My point is,that you do have to try to become part of anything to be a little happy there,where ever the there is. Otherwise,even if it is a mistake for you to have moved there,it will become just all horrible,when it doesn't have to be. It can just simply be the wrong move for you that can be fixed at some point.

Here's where I found out these things that might be going on in Atlanta.
Hope the link works. Maybe you'll find something you might get a kick out of going to!

Last edited by MB2; 10-18-2009 at 05:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta