Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,763,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair44 View Post
COA says more like $4b for Project Connect, with funding half way there...

Transit group weighs Project Connect funding options - Community Impact Newspaper

49% already funded. Does that 49% include Fed resources? Interesting proposals to get the 51%. Mobility use tax should go over well.

"Using just the vehicle registration option, Piascik said about 59 percent of the plan would be funded."

edit: oops, missed jb9152's previous quote re the 49% "All being talked about in the current TWG discussions. Access them on the city's web site video archive. Latest "envelope of affordability" analysis by Project Connect shows that up to 49% of the vision is achievable using revenue sources already available (i.e. don't require legislative action)."

So, to confirm, are these "available" sources Federal funds earmarked for transit?

A few things - 4B is an estimate of course - actual costs will likely be close to 1.5 - 2.0x that amount.

The article says 2B is funded but it's entirely unclear to me from where. We would have to pass a bond to pay for 500M it would take for the Mueller route - so where is this pot of money from?

That still leaves $2B unfunded. I can't think of a single central Texas project that has cost this much. This is hugely ambitious.

It would necessarily involve both commitments and cooperation of the following municipalities and entities:

Travis County
Williamson County
Hays County
Capitol Metro
City of Austin
Cedar Park
Leander
Pfluegerville
Georgetown
Manor
Elgin
Hutto
Taylor
Buda
Kyle
San Marcos
ACC
UT

That's at a minimum. Each would have to commit millions and millions years, maybe decades in advance of receiving any actual transit because a plan of this scale will take decades to complete.

I'm not saying it's not doable. . .but when was the last time Travis County and Williamson Country agreed on ANYTHING - let alone ALL those different entities agreeing to a unified plan - and willing to commit dollars to it. It would almost certainly entail referendum in each municipality to approve the necessary tax increases.

I'm not saying it can't be done
I'm not saying it shouldn't be done

I am saying nothing on this scale has been attempted here and what has been attempted, not nearly 1/10th as ambitious, has not succeeded even when only one city was involved.

This is a moonshot. A moonshot can be done when everything is aligned perfectly. I just can't believe there is the political support at the moment for a moonshot.

Austin should for right now concentrate on building basic backbone for a future system. The big ambitious stuff can come at a later time, right now we should just get a single light rail line passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 07:11 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,982,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post

The article says 2B is funded but it's entirely unclear to me from where. We would have to pass a bond to pay for 500M it would take for the Mueller route - so where is this pot of money from?
My understanding is that 2B isn't currently "funded", but "could be" funded without state legislative action (just with local decisions and committments). Additional funding sources would require state action, either direct state funding or state permission for new funding sources (new taxes currently not allowed or increases to sales taxes, as Austin and others are at the current limit).

Quote:

That still leaves $2B unfunded. I can't think of a single central Texas project that has cost this much. This is hugely ambitious.
SH 130.

Quote:
It would necessarily involve both commitments and cooperation of the following municipalities and entities:
The plan as presented is at least partially scalable. Though it certainly works better as the full system, if certain parties don't participate, they can be dropped relatively easily. For instance, Elgin isn't on board, just don't run that commuter rail out to Elgin (stop at Manor, or don't even run that whole line yet).

Old 04-24-2013, 02:32 PM

625 posts, read 1,134,416 times
Imagine rail following these BRT routes.

http://www.capmetro.org/metrorapid2.aspx

Last edited by mayfair44; 04-24-2013 at 02:41 PM..

Old 04-25-2013, 10:45 AM

625 posts, read 1,134,416 times
Default City ponders leasing airport to raise rail cash

City ponders leasing airport to raise rail cash

City ponders leasing airport to raise rail cash | www.statesman.com

Privatize ABIA for LRT funds?

Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 PM

522 posts, read 657,853 times
Quote:
So, to confirm, are these "available" sources Federal funds earmarked for transit?
25% federal grant funding assumed. The remainder is bond revenues, federal TIFIA and/or RRIF loans, private monies, and possibly some state funds.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:09 PM

522 posts, read 657,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tildahat View Post
So would the other red line coming from manor or wherever be doing a little extra jog over to Crestview station?
I'm actually not quite sure how that would work just yet...I think that piece of the vision might need a correction. Seems odd to have that little stub hanging out there.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:17 PM

251 posts, read 398,475 times
Quote:

Kind of like with their ignoring the voters on affordable housing and endorsing proposed state legislation that would let the Council amend the city charter without voter approval. They will do what they want, whether we like it or not. Like I said in my initial post, good riddance. 10-1 can't get here fast enough.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:57 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Quote:

I hate this idea. If the airport is so profitable that we think a private entity could lease it, operate it at a profit and pay us funds to pay for LRT. Why can't we, the City simply use those funds to pay for LRT our selves, instead of turning over part of the profit to a private operator? This is nothing more then a way for the current council to by-pass voter approval for the LRT expansion plans they want to implement.

It seems the current council is in a rush to implement everything they can that will benefit primarily the inner-city before they are removed from office.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:33 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,763,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I hate this idea. If the airport is so profitable that we think a private entity could lease it, operate it at a profit and pay us funds to pay for LRT. Why can't we, the City simply use those funds to pay for LRT our selves, instead of turning over part of the profit to a private operator? This is nothing more then a way for the current council to by-pass voter approval for the LRT expansion plans they want to implement.

It seems the current council is in a rush to implement everything they can that will benefit primarily the inner-city before they are removed from office.
Because due to some regulations profits from the airport are trapped and can only be used for airport related projects. OTOH, lease payment received upfront would be directly to the city and the city could use the money in any way it sees fit.

This is just a way to liberate money and use it for what the city wants. I'm not opposed to this kind of arrangement so long as the money is put to a good purpose - but that is entirely a different issue than whether or not the airport should be leased.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:50 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,982,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
This is nothing more then a way for the current council to by-pass voter approval for the LRT expansion plans they want to implement.
As that story states, voter approval would still be required.

"But he said state law would still require a referendum authorizing a rail system"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin