Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:06 PM

625 posts, read 1,134,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve78757 View Post
The Red Line already goes right by 45th and I-35. Couldn't we transport the citizens of Mueller a few blocks over to a new Red Line station for less than 550 million dollars?
Talk around a different approach to loop same DMU train and track off the Redline at Airport through Mueller and back for less. Much less: (see Hancock Center Replaces Mueller As Phase One Terminus)

http://centralaustincdc.org/transportation/urban_rail_for_central_austin.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair44 View Post

In the meantime, I'd like a Hancock stop on the redline to be added.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve78757 View Post
The part in bold makes the most sense. But this debate was thoroughly debated int e Mueller thread I started months ago. We'll just have to disagree.
"Mueller can be connected to downtown much sooner and for a fraction of the cost. In the future, both the DMU vehicles of the Red Line and its tracks serving East Austin and Mueller can be converted to electric light rail service. This could be implemented well ahead of the 2024 target for a LRT system. This would also create the opportunity for planning a potential station site under IH 35[Hancock] for a Red Line park and ride."

http://goo.gl/maps/CWc84

Interesting twist...

Last edited by mayfair44; 07-09-2013 at 08:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 07:06 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,982,085 times
Quote:
Talk around a different approach to loop same DMU train and track off the Redline at Airport through Mueller and back for less. Much less: (see Hancock Center Replaces Mueller As Phase One Terminus)

http://centralaustincdc.org/transportation/urban_rail_for_central_austin.htm

"Mueller can be connected to downtown much sooner and for a fraction of the cost. In the future, both the DMU vehicles of the Red Line and its tracks serving East Austin and Mueller can be converted to electric light rail service. This could be implemented well ahead of the 2024 target for a LRT system. This would also create the opportunity for planning a potential station site under IH 35[Hancock] for a Red Line park and ride."

http://goo.gl/maps/CWc84

Interesting twist...

That's a fairly sharp radius turn at 35, and damn near a right-angle at Airport and Aldrich. I'm pretty sure that's too sharp for the red line DMUs.

Also, it claims Small-Start funding could be used. I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing that's not the case, since it's not a new system (a "Start") but an expansion. Plus whatever issues that caused CapMetro to not try for federal funds on the red line initially.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:08 AM

593 posts, read 470,629 times
I don't even like the "idea" of Light Rail. but since I'm in the minority of this decision, I say, if they start to build it anywhere, Mueller is a great place to start because it's a lot of people on that side of town that down't have cars and the buses get crowded.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:02 AM
yam

228 posts, read 887,918 times
Still wish they'd consider rail along south lamar. This road gets crazy congested and there are 3000+ new residences under construction along this line, in addition to high density already. Would also enable rail service to Zilker Park and Barton Springs.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 AM

227 posts, read 366,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yam View Post
Still wish they'd consider rail along south lamar. This road gets crazy congested and there are 3000+ new residences under construction along this line, in addition to high density already. Would also enable rail service to Zilker Park and Barton Springs.
I live south and would love to see rail in south Austin, but the SoCo business owners and South Austin NAs are as responsible as anyone for the 2000 light rail defeat, and we won't be getting it any time soon...

Old 07-10-2013, 03:46 PM

593 posts, read 470,629 times
Quote:

Midtown residences ain't havin that....lol

Old 07-10-2013, 04:05 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,281,219 times
Quote:
Still wish they'd consider rail along south lamar. This road gets crazy congested and there are 3000+ new residences under construction along this line, in addition to high density already.
I'd like to see them turn S Lamar into a transit corridor. There are five lanes now - I'd take three for rail and bikes, and have a single vehicle lane each direction from 290 to Barton Springs. Limit the cross streets to maybe five - Treadwell, Mary/Oltorf, Bluebonnet Ln, Barton Skyway and one more. I understand that would REALLY be inconvenient. That's the point. Make vehicles avoid Lamar as a primary street.

I am really critical of Austin's mass transit plans, but it isn't because I'm against transit - just dumb transit. If transit doesn't offer a better experience, end to end, people will drive. If they see rail, or BRT, zipping down Lamar, on dedicated lanes, with limited crossings, and they are poking along, they will either find another route, or take transit.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:31 PM

625 posts, read 1,134,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
That's a fairly sharp radius turn at 35, and damn near a right-angle at Airport and Aldrich. I'm pretty sure that's too sharp for the red line DMUs.

Also, it claims Small-Start funding could be used. I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing that's not the case, since it's not a new system (a "Start") but an expansion. Plus whatever issues that caused CapMetro to not try for federal funds on the red line initially.
Aldrich no problem coming from the center of that wide median of Airport. Airport to the feeder looks more challenging. Wider radius if turn made on the west side of I35, with a platform along the section of track parallel to clarkson, btwn 43rd and 45th. Underneath the freeway does look tight.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:00 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,985,216 times
Petition for urban rail on Guadalupe and N/S Lamar:

http://www.change.org/petitions/i-wa...th-lamar#share

Old 10-17-2013, 11:01 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,739,779 times
Quote:
Great point.

The recent I-35 Mobility Open House proposal map of changes to Airport Blvd, shows a "Future Urban Rail Corridor" that lines up along the Red Line, parallel to Clarkson, btwn 45th and Hancock Center:

- I35 Virtual Open House

Looks like if the Mueller urban rail line goes in, this is where it will hub with the Red Line.

Currently, the Red Line has no stops between Highland Mall and MLK. I could see adding a Metro Rail station there FIRST, then creating a Cap Metro Connector from Mueller, similar to the MLK connectors for UT and DT/Capitol:

Capital Metro - Austin Public Transit
Capital Metro - Austin Public Transit

Then, ridership data could actually be compiled vs estimated, out of Mueller, without going all in, while development in that area continues. Plus, more Metro Rail (northbound and southbound) ridership could be gained from the immediate radius of the surrounding neighborhoods at Hancock. Even if Mueller has the potential, EVERYONE knows the path between Crestview station and DT, along L/G, would blow the doors off that route.

I get that the vote only comes around so many times, but yeah, the idea of folding to Mueller, at the expense of taking a future Guad/Lam line completely off the table sucks. It seems a bit fear mongering to suggest this next round is it, and Austin will never get urban rail if Mueller isn't jammed through.

Start by adding a Redl Line stop at Hancock with a connector bus to Mueller. Seems reasonable.
Hancock station is a good idea that wouldn't require a lot of money. I'm 98% sure it would get more riders than Saltillo station. Muelleurites can get on their bikes and ride there if need be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin