Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 04:47 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,704,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
So all of these businesses will be displaced by the construction of these new buildings?
My main point is the changing landscape of Austin and the fact that it changes why many people moved to Austin. There will come a point where we run out of land in “Austin” and established businesses will be forced to sell their land and be replaced by these monsters. In particular for this building I’m thinking of Ironworks BBQ. I can also cite the Hooters on Barton Springs (while not local it was here before I moved here) that was bulldozed for a new office building. There was also a museum on congress that is now condos.

I also get the feeling that you’re pro change and urbanization. I’m pro-Keep Austin weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 05:20 PM

11,813 posts, read 8,023,382 times
Are they really being forced to sell or are they choosing to sell?

Old 11-08-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Are they really being forced to sell or are they choosing to sell?
Depends on the situation. I think someone who has been in Austin longer then me might have more insight into places that have come and gone for these reasons.

Here’s a statesman article on the museum area I was thinking of. I’m surprised it was so long ago now, but it makes sense. I remember running by this area pre-construction my first full year here. https://www.statesman.com/business/2...businesses-out

Old 11-08-2020, 06:41 PM

Can’t help but wonder if it’s possible to keep the best of both worlds or if it really has to be one or the other...

Old 11-08-2020, 11:55 PM

3,892 posts, read 2,205,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
My main point is the changing landscape of Austin and the fact that it changes why many people moved to Austin. There will come a point where we run out of land in “Austin” and established businesses will be forced to sell their land and be replaced by these monsters. In particular for this building I’m thinking of Ironworks BBQ. I can also cite the Hooters on Barton Springs (while not local it was here before I moved here) that was bulldozed for a new office building. There was also a museum on congress that is now condos.

I also get the feeling that you’re pro change and urbanization. I’m pro-Keep Austin weird.
I think you took my question the wrong way. I was legitimately asking were these businesses being forced out?

Old 11-09-2020, 05:13 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
You have to wonder about the wisdom of the timing, building a big office building just as employers are discovering that office workers can be just as productive when working from home. Plus they'll be doing it in the Texas county that has some of the state's worst traffic gridlock at rush hour.

Old 11-09-2020, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
You have to wonder about the wisdom of the timing, building a big office building just as employers are discovering that office workers can be just as productive when working from home. Plus they'll be doing it in the Texas county that has some of the state's worst traffic gridlock at rush hour.
Possibly, and I hope that stays a reality but gauging from my interviews with employers, its very temporary. As soon as there's a vaccine, many of them intend to be back in the office. I expect that it will be 2022 or 2023 that traffic will be back to normal, or worse than normal.

Old 11-09-2020, 05:42 AM

570 posts, read 560,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
This project will be a mixed use development meaning it will have both residential and office. People can still work from home if needed. As far is traffic concern, Austin just recently passed a $7 Billion masterplan that will change it's infrastructure as we know it.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I think you took my question the wrong way. I was legitimately asking were these businesses being forced out?
And I said I didn’t know and someone with more Austin experience may be able to provide more insight.

And let’s use the personal story for example, someone built a home in the 1930s on chichón and 7th. They paid it off in the 50s. It’s been in the family for generations. But now, property taxes are ridiculous and they can’t pay them. They get letters from developers weekly asking them to sell. Then one year, the property taxes are tooooo much and they just pick a postcard from their stack and call a developer and sell their house and move to Pflugerville. We’re they “forced” to sell it was that a choice? Because this is happening to businesses too. And in this case, in particular, as I said before, Ironworks is at 100 Red River and the building address you’re citing is at 98 Red River.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:53 AM

In that case specifically, it’s a combination of things, not specifically just the mega corporate center, although they may (or may not) be a contributing factor. The real catalyst in that scenario were the property taxes, although I particularly am not sure if they are rising in direct correlation to the corporate relocations here. Infact I particularly am not sure why they’re rising at all given the increase of population offsets the tax-base.

Either way though they would have been in deep water whether the corporate center obtained their property or not if the taxes were too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin