Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 09:06 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,912,044 times

Advertisements

Saw this last week... jealous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 09:37 AM

242 posts, read 206,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
someone built a home in the 1930s on chichón and 7th. They paid it off in the 50s. It’s been in the family for generations. But now, property taxes are ridiculous and they can’t pay them. They get letters from developers weekly asking them to sell. Then one year, the property taxes are tooooo much.
Translation: someone bought a house for around $5,000 and sold it for around $750,000 - probably haven't paid a mortgage payment in 70 years and instead could have invested that mortgage payment somewhere else, and should be a millionaire by now, AND living in a $750K house.

They didn't want a reverse mortgage to pay the taxes, they want the entire amount when they sell (probably $700,000 after Realtor fees.) Their taxes were probably frozen at 1990's rates with the over-65 exemption, too.

It sounds like someone needs to "check their privilege"

Old 11-09-2020, 09:48 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,704,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swizzle Stick View Post
Translation: someone bought a house for around $5,000 and sold it for around $750,000 - probably haven't paid a mortgage payment in 70 years and instead could have invested that mortgage payment somewhere else, and should be a millionaire by now, AND living in a $750K house.

They didn't want a reverse mortgage to pay the taxes, they want the entire amount when they sell (probably $700,000 after Realtor fees.) Their taxes were probably frozen at 1990's rates with the over-65 exemption, too.

It sounds like someone needs to "check their privilege"
Ummm. Okay. Not the mention their family home, culture and history is now in the hands of Wall Street? But I won’t derail this into a gentrification thread.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Ummm. Okay. Not the mention their family home, culture and history is now in the hands of Wall Street? But I won’t derail this into a gentrification thread.
I can't afford to live where I grew up either. I'm Anglo, so the "woke" considerations don't protect people like me.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I can't afford to live where I grew up either. I'm Anglo, so the "woke" considerations don't protect people like me.
But, had you lost your home for this reason it would still be an unpleasant situation, no matter your ethnicity. I never brought up ethnicity.

Old 11-09-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
But, had you lost your home for this reason it would still be an unpleasant situation, no matter your ethnicity. I never brought up ethnicity.
Quote:
their family home, culture and history is now in the hands of Wall Street? But I won’t derail this into a gentrification thread.
Oh please. Whose "culture and history" are you referring to?

Old 11-09-2020, 11:28 AM

11,812 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Meh, I just personally want to see if they’re voluntarily selling out after seeing those large checks or if in some way these large businesses have made their financial atmosphere inhospitable to continue operating here.

Old 11-09-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Meh, I just personally want to see if they’re voluntarily selling out after seeing those large checks or if in some way these large businesses have made their financial atmosphere inhospitable to continue operating here.
It's voluntary. There is no "imminent domain" or forced selling going on here, it's happening on the free market. The free market has also provided a way for these homeowners to remain in their neighborhoods, but most are not choosing that path. They are either unaware that they have 30-40 years of tax money available to them in home equity, or they choose to go the victim route, and suck tax dollars from other taxpayers courtesy of the council.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Oh please. Whose "culture and history" are you referring to?
The culture of the Austin community. Everyone and every place in the world has culture. If you don't know the culture of the Austin community I implore you to do some googling of the history of the city.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
The culture of the Austin community. Everyone and every place in the world has culture. If you don't know the culture of the Austin community I implore you to do some googling of the history of the city.
Austin's culture changes every 20 years with each successive layer of arrivals. It's not up to us to choose which year we want to freeze in time, and preserve that time with other peoples tax dollars by paying people mortgages or their taxes for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin