Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 12:58 PM

147 posts, read 541,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I also live in New England and I actually like it here. It reminds me of NZ, green, lots of lakes and trees, people are fairly reserved like NZers.

I am an RN and I have worked in NZ and Australia and now here and I can tell you that I am way better off here financially. I may have been ever better off in another state like Texas, but the point is even in an expensive New England state I am making more money and have more things than I did in Australia and NZ....especially NZ.

Here I can get outdoors in every season and swim, waterski, hike, snowboard, etc. Kind of like NZ except I have the money to do more.

I am absolutely not trying to put you off your trip though. It will be a great adventure for you.

Well thats because you chose a career that you can only do in so many places...my career allows me to literally work from anywhere in the world...as long as I have an internet connection. It sounds a lot like you have been trying to put me off my trip this entire time. If you think New Zealand is like New England then I do not believe you have ever been to either New Zealand or New England...New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, New Jersey, etc...THESE ARE NOTHING LIKE SOUTHLAND, NEW ZEALAND...I have been to both places and I can honestly tell you that they are nothing alike AT ALL...Yes, New England may have some aspects that are simliar to New Zealand but that is just a few things...

Look, money is not a problem for me...nor will it ever be more than likely...because I will never let it be a problem. I have a degree, I have a brain, I know how to make money...I am not worried about it. I am sure you get paid more here being an RN because of the way New Zealand is set up.

I want a place where I dont have to wait in line for 8 hours for the most random **** like...EATING...

I want a place where I can go snowboarding for part of the day and try surfing for the other part. New Zealand is also the extreme sports capitol of the world...Right now I live in the Live Music Capitol of the world...I want a slower lifestyle...one where I am not constantly worrying about whats going to happen tomorrow...Whats going to happen if I drive over to the EAst side of Austin...I am sure cops do not tail you in New Zealand like they do here..I am sure they dont profile you like they do here...I am sure you have never had to wait in a line like I have just to see a damn movie, get a bite to eat, concerts, sports games, do anything that involves something "popular"...

Everything is cheaper in New Zealand... You may have more money to do stuff, but stuff is also a lot more expensive here in the states 9 times out of 10...

The point is that you are not going to convince me that I should stay in the US or whatever...at least not by telling me I am wrong about everything I think. I have been doing my research for 18 years...I have been reading the NZ Herald for 3 years now...I want a change of pace...and New Zealand is at the top of that list.

Right now I am just trying to figure out if I go to New Zealand and am still making money from the US...is that going to be ok especially if I am putting my money in New Zealand banks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I have lived and spent plenty of time in both countries. Having a great grasp of stats is nice but it's not real world experience.

And the one big difference regards of the temp is the housing. I'd rather be in a well insulated New England house with central heat and a nice gas fireplace, than a concrete block Kiwi house with a little tiny Fujitsu heater to provide warmth.

Again rather than telling us all you know from not having done something, move and then tell us all about it. I don't know what you are wasting time for.

LOL...Wasting time???? I own a business here...its not exactly something you can just leave...I am in the process of hiring a couple of people to run things over here...I have to teach them the business and feel comfortable before leaving...

Why would I have crappy heating and air conditioning anyway...I will have plenty of money saved up in May...at this point I will probably be looking for something in the 2,000 dollars a month range (400-500 Dollars per week) and from what I have seen so far (and tell me if I am wrong) but I should be able to get a really nice place with that amount. By the time May comes around I figure the dollar will be worth about 1.5 New Zealand Dollars so thats gonna be nice (I could be wrong but obviously that's what I foresee)

Old 12-05-2010, 02:16 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,743,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiyoo View Post
Well thats because you chose a career that you can only do in so many places...my career allows me to literally work from anywhere in the world...as long as I have an internet connection. It sounds a lot like you have been trying to put me off my trip this entire time. If you think New Zealand is like New England then I do not believe you have ever been to either New Zealand or New England...New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, New Jersey, etc...THESE ARE NOTHING LIKE SOUTHLAND, NEW ZEALAND...I have been to both places and I can honestly tell you that they are nothing alike AT ALL...Yes, New England may have some aspects that are simliar to New Zealand but that is just a few things...

Look, money is not a problem for me...nor will it ever be more than likely...because I will never let it be a problem. I have a degree, I have a brain, I know how to make money...I am not worried about it. I am sure you get paid more here being an RN because of the way New Zealand is set up.

I want a place where I dont have to wait in line for 8 hours for the most random **** like...EATING...

I want a place where I can go snowboarding for part of the day and try surfing for the other part. New Zealand is also the extreme sports capitol of the world...Right now I live in the Live Music Capitol of the world...I want a slower lifestyle...one where I am not constantly worrying about whats going to happen tomorrow...Whats going to happen if I drive over to the EAst side of Austin...I am sure cops do not tail you in New Zealand like they do here..I am sure they dont profile you like they do here...I am sure you have never had to wait in a line like I have just to see a damn movie, get a bite to eat, concerts, sports games, do anything that involves something "popular"...

Everything is cheaper in New Zealand... You may have more money to do stuff, but stuff is also a lot more expensive here in the states 9 times out of 10...

The point is that you are not going to convince me that I should stay in the US or whatever...at least not by telling me I am wrong about everything I think. I have been doing my research for 18 years...I have been reading the NZ Herald for 3 years now...I want a change of pace...and New Zealand is at the top of that list.

Right now I am just trying to figure out if I go to New Zealand and am still making money from the US...is that going to be ok especially if I am putting my money in New Zealand banks.
I am a New Zealander who lived there for 40 years, don't tell me what I do and do not know. I won't bother replying to any more of your posts. You don't want to listen to anyone. Once you live in NZ for awhile you'll understand, although with your attitude to people you probably won't last long there.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I am a New Zealander who lived there for 40 years, don't tell me what I do and do not know. I won't bother replying to any more of your posts. You don't want to listen to anyone. Once you live in NZ for awhile you'll understand, although with your attitude to people you probably won't last long there.

HAHA Thats fine...you have been against everything from the beginning acting like you know everything...

LOL youre the one telling me New Zealand is like New England...and then saying that everyone is laid back and then saying that there is nothing to do but go outside haha...you are like one big contradiction...I have been to New England and have plenty of family who live there. I get along with everyone wherever I go so I know that wont be a problem. I have told you what I am looking for and youre telling me I am wrong and whatever...so please dont reply to anymore unless you have something constructive to say or facts to back up your statements with...because telling me New Zealand is like any part of the United States is to me...laughable at the very least. Climate is one thing, but attitude is another and you have basically just told me that my American attitude is completely different than those of New Zealanders..which is exactly what I want...the whole...having to have name brand stuff...the ego of an American...I want to lose that. You can tell me whatever you want, but youre just making my point. I have heard nothing but Amazing things about New Zealand people...when do you hear those same things about Americans??? Anyways, I am not near as old or wise (when it comes to living) as you so ill take your words of advice under advisement but my decision is made, my tickets are paid for, and my housing is nearly set...at this point its pretty much a certainty that I will be there for at least 3 months and hopefully longer.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,625 times
I stumbled upon this site/forum by accident, but find the discussion very interesting. I am a New Zealand male living in the U.S. (currently R.I.) for the past 20 years. As discussed, both countries offer a high standard of living and, as with all countries come pros and cons. I just got back from 3 months in Wellington. It is a fabulous city - clean, worlds first urban predator free wildlife sanctuary, always buzzing, great cafes, easily accessible to hiking, fishing, hunting, arts... Negatives are houses are very expensive, and for some people the wind can be a bit much!
New Zealand boasts some of the most amazing scenery, if you enjoy tramping, kayaking or any adventure sports, you can't beat it. Plus everything is easily accessible. America also has fantastic/diverse scenery, but you often have to travel great distances, have to fight traffic, crowds and it is heavily regulated, due to the large population. I have spent quite a bit of time in Austin, and feel you will really like Wellington, many similarities - pace of life slower in wellington. N.Z. s not for everyone, however, if you are prepared to earn less the overall quality of life may be more to your liking.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnpj View Post
I stumbled upon this site/forum by accident, but find the discussion very interesting. I am a New Zealand male living in the U.S. (currently R.I.) for the past 20 years. As discussed, both countries offer a high standard of living and, as with all countries come pros and cons. I just got back from 3 months in Wellington. It is a fabulous city - clean, worlds first urban predator free wildlife sanctuary, always buzzing, great cafes, easily accessible to hiking, fishing, hunting, arts... Negatives are houses are very expensive, and for some people the wind can be a bit much!
New Zealand boasts some of the most amazing scenery, if you enjoy tramping, kayaking or any adventure sports, you can't beat it. Plus everything is easily accessible. America also has fantastic/diverse scenery, but you often have to travel great distances, have to fight traffic, crowds and it is heavily regulated, due to the large population. I have spent quite a bit of time in Austin, and feel you will really like Wellington, many similarities - pace of life slower in wellington. N.Z. s not for everyone, however, if you are prepared to earn less the overall quality of life may be more to your liking.

Awesome!!! So did you like Austin at all? Its a pretty crazy place. Wellington sounds nice...and I def. do appreciate Rhode Island as it is one of the few states I can actually stand in New England...

I could def use the slower pace, thats for damn sure. My mom died 2 years ago and I swear I have been non stop ever since whether its having to be there for my dad and my brother or school or my business...just keeping everything together just does not seem worth it anymore. I would much rather be in a place where most of that stuff is inaccessible.

I agree with the long lines, and everything else..I have seen all there is to see in the United States...at least all the popular things such as Grand Canyon (Most of the national parks to be honest...at least the ones in the continental US)...I am going to Hawaii in April/May for a graduation present...I will get my first taste of island life lol (not really considering Hawaii is one big concierge island). The one thing I have left that I would like to do is prob something I wont be able to do...which is spend a couple of weeks in the Washington DC doing the Smithsonian Institutes. That would be really really cool.

Although I am looking more towards the Southland, I am def. keeping Wellington open as an option...especially when it comes to internet purposes.

PS...TO ALL of your people who seem to think that New Zealand is some Cess Pool or not an OZ or whatever you want to call it...have you spent time in the Southland??????? because from what I hear from people I grew up with and went to high school with, went to college with...pretty much EVERYONE my age who has been there has loved the Southland and called it...you guessed it...and OZ. Anyways, they only spent 3-6 months there on average and in school so they could have been sheltered.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:43 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,948,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnpj View Post
N.Z. s not for everyone, however, if you are prepared to earn less the overall quality of life may be more to your liking.
I agree

New Zealand’s wealth cannot be measured in just $GDP figures esp with wealth distribution being so poor in many countries. I work with a number of Aussies, Poms and Asians and they realise they can get better money elsewhere but they can't beat the lifestyle and stronger community feel due to NZ's size. NZ always rates high in quality of life indexes, sure Aus is a few places higher, but depends what your looking for, NZ rated 5th best place in the world to live in 2010 hardly shameful ahead of US, Canda, UK.

Takes into account a huge number of factors not talked about in the sumary here.
2010 Quality of Life Index: 194 Countries Ranked and Rated to Reveal the Best Places to Live – International Living

Came across this great armature vid of a winter visit to NZ pretty much says it all it all,. (oh not big on the music but it fits the vid).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnZmCEdS7GU

Old 12-06-2010, 07:36 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
Quote:
PS...TO ALL of your people who seem to think that New Zealand is some Cess Pool or not an OZ or whatever you want to call it...have you spent time in the Southland??????? because from what I hear from people I grew up with and went to high school with, went to college with...pretty much EVERYONE my age who has been there has loved the Southland and called it...you guessed it...and OZ. Anyways, they only spent 3-6 months there on average and in school so they could have been sheltered.
People aren't portraying NZ as a cesspool, they are just trying to be realistic in their portrayal. People who had posted their opinions are either kiwis or have spent an extended time in Aotearoa; both in Te Ika-a-Māui and in Te Wai Pounamu. When one bashes/challenges people for expressing their honest opinions, one turns them off from trying to help which is really a disservice to anyone coming to the forum to try to get a fair and balanced opinion of NZ.

You need to know that 20% of kiwis live outside Aotearoa, including 460,000 in Oz (2003 figures). Its higher by now (2010). Don't challenge me on these numbers, these were from a NZ gouvernment web site. You can also go to nzherald.co.nz to research the numbers of kiwis leaving for Oz. This outflow has concerned the government and has been discussed in parliament several times.

Based on these numbers, NZ isn't for everyone (but for that matter, one can say this about any country). I personally LOVE NZ, but I made the decision that was correct for me as you need to do for your own personal circumstance. To get this fair and balanced opinion one must try to understand both good and bad, including opinons that you may not personally agree with. Finally, here are two web sites with varying migrant opinions on NZ go to move2nz.org and expatexpossed.com.

BTW a thick skin is a skill that one will find very useful in the Antipodes.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by minibrings; 12-06-2010 at 08:17 PM..

Old 12-06-2010, 08:37 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,682,121 times
Quote:
HAHA Thats fine...you have been against everything from the beginning acting like you know everything...

LOL youre the one telling me New Zealand is like New England...and then saying that everyone is laid back and then saying that there is nothing to do but go outside haha...you are like one big contradiction...I have been to New England and have plenty of family who live there. I get along with everyone wherever I go so I know that wont be a problem. I have told you what I am looking for and youre telling me I am wrong and whatever...so please dont reply to anymore unless you have something constructive to say or facts to back up your statements with...because telling me New Zealand is like any part of the United States is to me...laughable at the very least. Climate is one thing, but attitude is another and you have basically just told me that my American attitude is completely different than those of New Zealanders..which is exactly what I want...the whole...having to have name brand stuff...the ego of an American...I want to lose that. You can tell me whatever you want, but youre just making my point. I have heard nothing but Amazing things about New Zealand people...when do you hear those same things about Americans??? Anyways, I am not near as old or wise (when it comes to living) as you so ill take your words of advice under advisement but my decision is made, my tickets are paid for, and my housing is nearly set...at this point its pretty much a certainty that I will be there for at least 3 months and hopefully longer.
I'd suggest stop the talkin' and get busy walkin'.

Rather than telling everyone about stuff you know nothing personally about why not go get that life experience and then share it. Basically lashing out at whoever offers life experience in contrast to whatever fantasy you have built up in your head, isn't really doing yourself a service.

Personally can't see the point of this thread anymore until you get feet on the ground in NZ.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I'd suggest stop the talkin' and get busy walkin'.

Rather than telling everyone about stuff you know nothing personally about why not go get that life experience and then share it. Basically lashing out at whoever offers life experience in contrast to whatever fantasy you have built up in your head, isn't really doing yourself a service.

Personally can't see the point of this thread anymore until you get feet on the ground in NZ.
LOL What so I cant ask anymore questions???

I guess I could always start another thread if I had more...

PS...How many times do I have to explain my timeline before you guys understand that its not something that I can just get up and move to...

You know I really enjoyed your first reply to this post where you talk about taking baby steps and how NZ has a lot of upsides and downsides and you kind of explained them both...

I dont know where you guys get off thinking I have some fantasy in my head??? I am an intelligent human being who understands that no matter where you go in the world...there will always be evil people. Its a fact of life. I do not claim to be an expert on New Zealand, but when people try to compare New Zealand to parts of America that I know very well arent anything like New Zealand...I call them out. I am not lashing out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand