Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 02:11 PM

387 posts, read 871,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Have you lived in the US?

Your description of it is not my reality and I actually live here.
So it's not YOUR reality ... so what. It's the reality of many Americans and that's what THEY have told me.
That's why many of them immigrate to NZ. The several families I know here are generally happy. Granted they seem to have housing and transport sorted and are able to earn a decent salary ....they say food/clothing/petrol are expensive but they don't seem too bothered.

NZ is not the kind of country to move to if you don't have any money ...it will be downright miserable. However that doesn't mean one has to be a millionaire to be happy here.
What one needs to have are skills that pay a decent salary and enough cash to buy a good house and car. Many Americans who have professional skills and savings are able to comfortably live here ... they move in their 30's/40's/50's.

Many places in the US are expensive too ...NYC /San Francisco/Miami and more. I wouldn't live in those places if I couldn't afford decent housing there.

Too many people try and come to NZ with no real savings and skills that don't pay much money....and then start hitting out at NZ when things don't work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Maybe in your circles there is no anti-American sentiment, but I know it is there. It all started when NZ went nuclear free and America withdrew support because we wouldn't allow their warships to port. It may have dissipated in the past 6 years that I haven't lived there but scratch the surface and you'll find it. One of the EMTs I work with lived in the South Island for 6 months and even he commented on it.
It's still there in the ultra-liberal enclaves ...but who gives a d*mn about what they think. NZ has matured since that incident and we now tend to ignore those types (although they still think they are terribly important).
I think you will find some NZ'ers are funny about all foreigners ....in fact some of the redneck types don't like anyone who doesn't originate from English/Scottish/irish settlers. But I think that's more parochial than racist

Old 10-29-2010, 04:10 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,682,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiyoo View Post
All I know is New Zealand was ranked the safest place to live in the 2009 Global Peace Index...I am tired of the violence...there is a lot of everything hate here in America...I dont mind the anti-american sentiment...I just hate the Anti-Mexican, Anti-African American, Anti-EVERYTHING...Its bad here in Austin and I live in the 3rd best city in America to live in...so what does that say?
The global peace index?

NZ I hate to break it to you isn't much safer, especially on the north island.

Burglaries (per capita) by country. Definition, graph and map. (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_bur_percap-crime-burglaries-per-capita - broken link)

Assaults (per capita) (most recent) by country (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_ass_percap-crime-assaults-per-capita - broken link)

Car thefts (per capita) by country. Definition, graph and map. (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_car_the_percap-crime-car-thefts-per-capita - broken link)

Drug offences by country. Definition, graph and map.

The only difference with the USA is we have more murders but I can tell you from my experience in NZ, that it isn't exactly safer. I've been chased by drunken yobbos through Cathedral Square in ChCh which is about the last thing I ever expected.

NZ has a big problem with alcohol and meth, so lots of hopped up people on Friday and Saturday night and lots of fights and bashings. In the past 10 years NZ has had around 2000 foreigners get killed in all sorts of accidents and misadventure. And some tourists have gotten murdered recently.

In NZ plenty of people are Anti this or that. It's just different. Lots of covert and overt discrimination against Asians, definitely some against other races and nationalities. Not to mention all the misconceptions lots of people have, there can definitely be an island mentality there.

Again not trying to discourage you, just balancing out some of the nonsense fantasy world stuff you are filling your head with.

I have found in my world travels people are the same everywhere. You have nice people, mean people, criminals, good guys, so on.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:00 PM

147 posts, read 541,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The global peace index?

NZ I hate to break it to you isn't much safer, especially on the north island.

Burglaries (per capita) by country. Definition, graph and map. (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_bur_percap-crime-burglaries-per-capita - broken link)

Assaults (per capita) (most recent) by country (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_ass_percap-crime-assaults-per-capita - broken link)

Car thefts (per capita) by country. Definition, graph and map. (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_car_the_percap-crime-car-thefts-per-capita - broken link)

The only difference with the USA is we have more murders but I can tell you from my experience in NZ, that it isn't exactly safer. I've been chased by drunken yobbos through Cathedral Square in ChCh which is about the last thing I ever expected.

NZ has a big problem with alcohol and meth, so lots of hopped up people on Friday and Saturday night and lots of fights and bashings. In the past 10 years NZ has had around 2000 foreigners get killed in all sorts of accidents and misadventure. And some tourists have gotten murdered recently.

In NZ plenty of people are Anti this or that. It's just different. Lots of covert and overt discrimination against Asians, definitely some against other races and nationalities. Not to mention all the misconceptions lots of people have, there can definitely be an island mentality there.

Again not trying to discourage you, just balancing out some of the nonsense fantasy world stuff you are filling your head with.

I have found in my world travels people are the same everywhere. You have nice people, mean people, criminals, good guys, so on.

Not to dog your sources or anything but are you telling me that Germany has 250,969 drug offenses per 100,000 people???? How does that even make sense?

That would mean everyone in that country is doing drugs and they average over two in a half arrests a piece...

Old 10-29-2010, 07:53 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
So it's not YOUR reality ... so what. It's the reality of many Americans and that's what THEY have told me.
That's why many of them immigrate to NZ. The several families I know here are generally happy. Granted they seem to have housing and transport sorted and are able to earn a decent salary ....they say food/clothing/petrol are expensive but they don't seem too bothered.
So you don't live here in the states? As someone who does the picture here isn't anywhere as bad or bleak as you say it is.

The things you say about medical insurance & worrying about being sued, gimme a break.... In 50 years have NEVER been worried about being sued nor do I know of anyone who does. You've been watching too much American TV.

Medical insurance, granted some people don't have it, the rest? what can I say if people have it and don't bother to read what they are covered for. I have no sympathy for people who can afford coverage and don't get it because they want to spend money on other things..... and there are many who fall into this category..

Do you understand what a right to work state means? See this for the full details: Right-to-work law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Right-to-work laws are statutes enforced in twenty-two U.S. states, mostly in the southern or western U.S., allowed under provisions of the Taft-Hartley Act, which prohibit agreements between labor unions and employers making membership or payment of union dues or fees a condition of employment, either before or after hiring.

And whats wrong with a law that says my employer cannot force me to join a union or I can't have the job unless I join a union?????

Being fired on the spot, OK, and? Almost all companies I know of including the US Federal Government can fire someone on the spot with justified cause.

Vacation and sick days, normal for a person being employed full time is two weeks vacation after working the first year and one week sick leave. I would say most employers are sympathetic if you need more sick time, either you can take vacation days or at worst day(s) without pay. Being fired??? Just because you need a few more sick days? not this US. If you need extended sick leave there are policies to cover the situation.

50 or 60 hour work weeks???? LMAO, try 40, most companies after 40 will either pay overtime or comp time. Working conditions might be different in NZ... but in the US 40 hours a week is normal.

If living here in the US was as bad as you say it is I'd have moved along time ago. And no I'm not rich or born with a silver spoon in my mouth. And by the way, I've lived/worked in New York City, Indianapolis, Dallas, Houston, Austin and currently reside in San Antonio Texas......

Last edited by plwhit; 10-29-2010 at 08:13 PM..

Old 10-29-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiyoo View Post
Not to dog your sources or anything but are you telling me that Germany has 250,969 drug offenses per 100,000 people???? How does that even make sense?

That would mean everyone in that country is doing drugs and they average over two in a half arrests a piece...
Well I've been to Germany and there are plenty of junkies all over in all the cities.

In any case, dunno what that has to do with NZ, but you can look the stats up elsewhere, they are not hard to find.

NZ has around 60 violent Maori and motorcycle gangs involved in the sale of meth and pot. People that get in their way accidentally have gotten shot, stabbed, beat up you name it.

There is plenty of car theft and robbery thanks to all the druggies and then you add in alcohol fueled violence.

I'm not saying NZ is like South Africa where homicidal violence is everywhere, but it's not some fantasy land completely safe and "peaceful" place. I just want you to have some sort of reality about things. There is no escape from people that are ANTI-whatever and no escape from the possibility of crime. Granted you can alleviate some of the risk by not hanging in bars and getting loaded or hanging out in bad neighborhoods or where people do drugs. Criminals in NZ get light easy sentences and the police are undergunned and undermanned to handle the rise in gang violence.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:26 AM

141 posts, read 342,413 times
This thread has got a little heavy for me now but as a parting comment, by coincidence I have come across this little study in the newspaper up here in Auckland. Just one organisations view!

NZ scores fifth place in world prosperity stakes

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/the-changi...ectid=10683560

Old 10-30-2010, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
So you don't live here in the states? As someone who does the picture here isn't anywhere as bad or bleak as you say it is.

The things you say about medical insurance & worrying about being sued, gimme a break.... In 50 years have NEVER been worried about being sued nor do I know of anyone who does. You've been watching too much American TV.

Medical insurance, granted some people don't have it, the rest? what can I say if people have it and don't bother to read what they are covered for. I have no sympathy for people who can afford coverage and don't get it because they want to spend money on other things..... and there are many who fall into this category..

Do you understand what a right to work state means? See this for the full details: Right-to-work law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Right-to-work laws are statutes enforced in twenty-two U.S. states, mostly in the southern or western U.S., allowed under provisions of the Taft-Hartley Act, which prohibit agreements between labor unions and employers making membership or payment of union dues or fees a condition of employment, either before or after hiring.

And whats wrong with a law that says my employer cannot force me to join a union or I can't have the job unless I join a union?????

Being fired on the spot, OK, and? Almost all companies I know of including the US Federal Government can fire someone on the spot with justified cause.

Vacation and sick days, normal for a person being employed full time is two weeks vacation after working the first year and one week sick leave. I would say most employers are sympathetic if you need more sick time, either you can take vacation days or at worst day(s) without pay. Being fired??? Just because you need a few more sick days? not this US. If you need extended sick leave there are policies to cover the situation.

50 or 60 hour work weeks???? LMAO, try 40, most companies after 40 will either pay overtime or comp time. Working conditions might be different in NZ... but in the US 40 hours a week is normal.

If living here in the US was as bad as you say it is I'd have moved along time ago. And no I'm not rich or born with a silver spoon in my mouth. And by the way, I've lived/worked in New York City, Indianapolis, Dallas, Houston, Austin and currently reside in San Antonio Texas......
That's just your perspective. I work in the medical field and have many US friends and let me tell you they do in fact worry every day about being sued.
Most of them have also been fired at least once in their working lives ...and I would consider them good employees. They got fired (Texans) because their employers felt like it ...not because they did anything wrong.
I have never been fired in my entire life.
They go to work sick because they are scared of taking too many sick days.
You are kidding right about getting overtime after 40 hrs ? My US friends don't get overtime/compensated on a salary and regularly work a lot of extra hours.
And a lot of people can't afford health insurance. I am sure some of them should stop buying alcohol etc ....but most of them wont have it because they can't genuinely afford it. It's not always somebody's fault that they are poor....many people are only a serious illness away from financial ruin. Seems not everyone got the compassion gene.
If you are unaware of the suffering of some of your fellow Americans then go take a look at the Work & Employment Forum as well as the Unemployment one.
I never said the US was a bad country ... I said one's perspective differs on what one considers 'tough'.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

NZ has around 60 violent Maori and motorcycle gangs involved in the sale of meth and pot. People that get in their way accidentally have gotten shot, stabbed, beat up you name it.
Where did you get that figure from? NZ has the Mongrel Mob, Black Power and a couple of others

Old 10-30-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
Where did you get that figure from? NZ has the Mongrel Mob, Black Power and a couple of others
The New Zealand Police. There are about 60 patched gangs dealing in drugs and of course the associated violence.

Gangs in New Zealand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently here it says 70.

According to the book Gangs by Ross Kemp, New Zealand has more gangs per head then any other country in the world,[3] with about seventy major gangs and over 4,000 patched members[4] in a population of about 4,000,000 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand