Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:10 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times

Advertisements

I'd just like to add a comment....

I used to live in Austin TX until about a year ago. Austin is not the crime ridden shoot-em-up city someone alludes to here.
Secondly I am not aware of any draconian Internet filtering bill passed that turns America into China/Iran, not in this year nor any previous years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 11:38 PM

141 posts, read 342,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
being able to find work in their respective fields, and even when they did find jobs, the boyfriend encountered a good deal of anti-American sentiment at his workplace, and never felt secure about remaining employed due to the "contract" system they use over there for jobs.
Of course, NZ is great for millionaires that can buy a nice home and property and are able to enjoy all the beauty and adventure New Zealand offers without worry about high prices and ensuring a sufficient income. But not many of us are in that lucky boat...lol.
I agree...houses are very expensive over here.

Not sure where your friend worked but Ive never encountered any anti-American sentiment in workplaces Ive been in. The only anti-American sentiment I know that does exist (except from those people that go over the top in respect of politics, etc) is the general feeling that American tourists are too demanding. But I think that just relates to the environment that they come from vs the environment here (they say that NZers are too accepting of things, dont complain enough when they get poor service, and are generally too laid back! In fact, I saw an article recently that said NZers generally will strive to make enough money to be comfortable, but less drive to go beyond that. Cant say if thats right or not).

The contract system...no-one is secure in any job, incl govt jobs, whether you sign a collective contract (union negotiated) or an individual contract. Im sure job security is not that great in the States, or anywhere at the moment. The best you can do is negotiate decent terms if the job is disestablished.

Im one of those people who are not lucky enough to be a millionaire, but seem to be able to have a pretty good lifestyle here without the millions, and can save a little too for when times get tough(er). Sure, I earn above the average wage, but not high enough to reach 6 digits. I have a mortgage to pay, two cars to run, a wife & 2 kids to house and feed and a rabbit that keeps going to the vet. I do not come from a wealthy family so no hand-outs. Im not sure how much money you need, or how flash a car or house you have to have, to consider yourself to have a comfortable lifestyle. (I can also enjoy the beauty of NZ without having to do the high-priced tourist things on offer here).

Dont get me wrong, it can be a struggle here for some... there are people in NZ that do struggle to make ends meet and require State assistance (as in any country), and many do go to Australia for a better life.

Maybe peoples expectations are just too high when they come here and the adjustment too great.

By the way..missed the most popular job website off my last post http://www.seek.co.nz

To end...Im not really sure whether this thread is helping our young Texan friend make his decision. It seeems already made anyway, so I would just reiterate..dont come over on a tourist visa and expect to get work, go for the one year visa and dont cut your ties with the States in case things arent to your liking, make sure you are fully aware of the visa requirements (money req'd, casual vs full employment, etc), dont expect the exchange rate to help (it will probably get worse for you before it gets better), and come with an open mind expecting that things will be different and things done a different way. Make yourself some friends for support (maybe join a sports club) as it will make life easier.

If you need a bit of assistance/advice with looking for accommodation, work, etc closer to the time, dont hesitate to drop me a line. Im just a Mr Joe Average here, but nothing better than having someone that knows their way around to provide a bit of assistance.

Last edited by muir33; 10-29-2010 at 12:52 AM..

Old 10-29-2010, 04:15 AM

387 posts, read 871,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post

I will give you a little piece of advice. There is a strong anti-American sentiment in NZ, when you there a little bit of diplomacy will serve you well.
I think you tend to be a bit of a shock jock.
NZ'ers most generally like Americans ....at least the ones I know do.
I work with several Americans and don't see an issue for them

Old 10-29-2010, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post

However, I do know of a couple that DID move to New Zealand in 2005, and are currently on their way home after a stint in SE Asia. The female friend and her boyfriend (they never got married, just went as domestic partners) were able to gain residency status due to her family being from New Zealand, having immigrated to the US in decades past. As much as they wanted to make a go of it there, it just didn't work out. It was difficult for both of them in the beginning, being able to find work in their respective fields, and even when they did find jobs, the boyfriend encountered a good deal of anti-American sentiment at his workplace, and never felt secure about remaining employed due to the "contract" system they use over there for jobs. The girlfriend fit in a bit better, having that family connection, etc, but it wasn't so easy for her, especially in terms of finding housing that she liked. Like in Australia, houses are very expensive, and rent isn't so cheap either. Practically everything else is expensive as well - cars, petrol, food, entertainment, you name it. As pretty as it looks from the outside, New Zealand is a tough place to live, even if you're from there, which is why you see so many kiwis over in Oz and here in the states...lol. Of course, NZ is great for millionaires that can buy a nice home and property and are able to enjoy all the beauty and adventure New Zealand offers without worry about high prices and ensuring a sufficient income. But not many of us are in that lucky boat...lol.
Well, 'tough' is relative IMHO... it would be VERY tough in many parts of the US now.
Even without this recession .... it would be tough worrying about a catastrophic illness... wondering if my insurance would cover it? Worrying about pre-existing conditions? Worried about being sued.
Living in a 'right to work state' would be tough ...being fired on the spot just because the company feels like it. Many jobs don't provide vacation and health insurance. Even if they do, may only have 2 weeks. Take more than a few sick days a year, then worry about being fired.
I love the US but living there seems tough from my perspective. No job security, only 1/3 my vacation, horrendous property tax and insurance, 50 or 60 hr workweeks common, horrible commutes.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:35 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,743,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
I think you tend to be a bit of a shock jock.
NZ'ers most generally like Americans ....at least the ones I know do.
I work with several Americans and don't see an issue for them
Maybe in your circles there is no anti-American sentiment, but I know it is there. It all started when NZ went nuclear free and America withdrew support because we wouldn't allow their warships to port. It may have dissipated in the past 6 years that I haven't lived there but scratch the surface and you'll find it. One of the EMTs I work with lived in the South Island for 6 months and even he commented on it.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Well, 'tough' is relative IMHO... it would be VERY tough in many parts of the US now.
Even without this recession .... it would be tough worrying about a catastrophic illness... wondering if my insurance would cover it? Worrying about pre-existing conditions? Worried about being sued.
Living in a 'right to work state' would be tough ...being fired on the spot just because the company feels like it. Many jobs don't provide vacation and health insurance. Even if they do, may only have 2 weeks. Take more than a few sick days a year, then worry about being fired.
I love the US but living there seems tough from my perspective. No job security, only 1/3 my vacation, horrendous property tax and insurance, 50 or 60 hr workweeks common, horrible commutes.
Have you lived in the US?

Your description of it is not my reality and I actually live here.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:36 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,682,121 times
Quote:
Sounds like you have been watching too much TV. And it's not your fault, just the average generalizations the leftist news media puts across about the USA.

For one thing the USA has 50 states and 310 million people. Taxes such as property tax vary at the local level.

Most regular jobs have medical coverage well in excess of what you would get in the NZ health system and many jobs have plenty of paid vacation and pension/401K plans as well as IRA's. I think if you research the numbers the USA has more tax deductible savings plans than many other countries.

Living in a "right to work" state is great. It's where the main economic action is, while the states like Pennsylvania and Ohio with all the ponderous old rules are struggling. I should not be forced to join a union to work somewhere. Maybe you should read up on it more:

Right-to-work law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-29-2010, 10:54 AM

147 posts, read 541,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Maybe in your circles there is no anti-American sentiment, but I know it is there. It all started when NZ went nuclear free and America withdrew support because we wouldn't allow their warships to port. It may have dissipated in the past 6 years that I haven't lived there but scratch the surface and you'll find it. One of the EMTs I work with lived in the South Island for 6 months and even he commented on it.

All I know is New Zealand was ranked the safest place to live in the 2009 Global Peace Index...I am tired of the violence...there is a lot of everything hate here in America...I dont mind the anti-american sentiment...I just hate the Anti-Mexican, Anti-African American, Anti-EVERYTHING...Its bad here in Austin and I live in the 3rd best city in America to live in...so what does that say?

Old 10-29-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiyoo View Post
All I know is New Zealand was ranked the safest place to live in the 2009 Global Peace Index...I am tired of the violence...there is a lot of everything hate here in America...I dont mind the anti-american sentiment...I just hate the Anti-Mexican, Anti-African American, Anti-EVERYTHING...Its bad here in Austin and I live in the 3rd best city in America to live in...so what does that say?
I think you'll have a fantastic time in NZ. It's a great adventure going to another country and you'll learn a lot. New Zealand is a beautiful country with nice people (on the whole) and lots of things to do.

Plan well and enjoy!

Old 10-29-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Sounds like you have been watching too much TV. And it's not your fault, just the average generalizations the leftist news media puts across about the USA.

For one thing the USA has 50 states and 310 million people. Taxes such as property tax vary at the local level.

Most regular jobs have medical coverage well in excess of what you would get in the NZ health system and many jobs have plenty of paid vacation and pension/401K plans as well as IRA's. I think if you research the numbers the USA has more tax deductible savings plans than many other countries.

Living in a "right to work" state is great. It's where the main economic action is, while the states like Pennsylvania and Ohio with all the ponderous old rules are struggling. I should not be forced to join a union to work somewhere. Maybe you should read up on it more:

Right-to-work law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I have been listening to my Texan friends ....both here and there ...and that's what they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand