Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 06:33 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Lame service in a restaurant ? just one small area where we differ, it seems to us who have used restaurants in the USA that American expect waiters to be hovering awaiting any wish they may have.

Having to tell the waiter in Brooklyn the less I saw of him the larger the tip would be, was shall we say different.
I don't expect a waiter(ess) to hover over me, awaiting my every lift of the finger, obviously that is annoying. But it would be nice if they actually took your order and not disappear for 20 minutes, or ask to refill your drink, or check and see how you are doing and if you need anything further or actually bring the check at some point, all things in New Zealand that are constant hassles with eating out.

Why these concepts of providing a service is something ground breaking I do not understand. The reason I go to a restaurant is to be provided the service of having cooked tasty food brought to me and then waited on(as they call them, "wait staff"). If I wanted to cook my own food, bring it to the table and then wash the dishes, I can do that at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 06:48 PM

147 posts, read 541,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I don't expect a waiter(ess) to hover over me, awaiting my every lift of the finger, obviously that is annoying. But it would be nice if they actually took your order and not disappear for 20 minutes, or ask to refill your drink, or check and see how you are doing and if you need anything further or actually bring the check at some point, all things in New Zealand that are constant hassles with eating out.

Why these concepts of providing a service is something ground breaking I do not understand. The reason I go to a restaurant is to be provided the service of having cooked tasty food brought to me and then waited on(as they call them, "wait staff"). If I wanted to cook my own food, bring it to the table and then wash the dishes, I can do that at home.

I am the same way...cant stand it when I get bad service at a restaurant...but at the same time, thats a really small thing in the grand scheme of things..

Socialized Medicine is not the worst thing in the world and it obviously works in a lot of countries...I wasnt trying to compare that aspect to China or Iran...I just believe its going to be the bane of the United States' economy and eventual economic power in the world...

Point is, that I really dont like it here much anymore...and maybe everyone is right...maybe ill get over there and have a lot of respect for the rights I have here...but its really about what I want right? Right now I want to move to NZ for a while...

I am not one to complain about my situation as I am very blessed in many ways...but at the same time, there has to be more to life then just getting up in the morning, going to work, getting back at night, getting messed up (going down to 6th street) and maybe every once in a while getting a chance to go hiking/backpacking/fishing/ANYTHING outdoors...whereas in New Zealand...you dont exactly have much of a choice living in the Southland...I LOVE THAT ASPECT!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:31 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
That's just your perspective. I work in the medical field and have many US friends and let me tell you they do in fact worry every day about being sued.
Most of them have also been fired at least once in their working lives ...and I would consider them good employees. They got fired (Texans) because their employers felt like it ...not because they did anything wrong.
I have never been fired in my entire life.
They go to work sick because they are scared of taking too many sick days.
You are kidding right about getting overtime after 40 hrs ? My US friends don't get overtime/compensated on a salary and regularly work a lot of extra hours.
And a lot of people can't afford health insurance. I am sure some of them should stop buying alcohol etc ....but most of them wont have it because they can't genuinely afford it. It's not always somebody's fault that they are poor....many people are only a serious illness away from financial ruin. Seems not everyone got the compassion gene.
If you are unaware of the suffering of some of your fellow Americans then go take a look at the Work & Employment Forum as well as the Unemployment one.
I never said the US was a bad c36ountry ... I said one's perspective differs on what one considers 'tough'.
Hmmm.. I work 40 hour work week. im in 2nd year for this company and I had 24 days vacation this year + the 13 days I did not use last year.. so I had 37 days off this year. I am paid a wage much higher than I'd get in Oz (of course much higher than NZ). My medical plan allows me to see any doctor I want to. I also have dental, vision and retirement savings matching. I don't pay state income tax or sales tax (New Hampshire). I don;t worry about getting fired, This is my reality and the reality of many people in my company (a few thousand).

Old 12-04-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Hmmm.. I work 40 hour work week. im in 2nd year for this company and I had 24 days vacation this year + the 13 days I did not use last year.. so I had 37 days off this year. I am paid a wage much higher than I'd get in Oz (of course much higher than NZ). My medical plan allows me to see any doctor I want to. I also have dental, vision and retirement savings matching. I don't pay state income tax or sales tax (New Hampshire). I don;t worry about getting fired, This is my reality and the reality of many people in my company (a few thousand).

Ya...but you live in New Hampshire...I like how you don't explain that in your message until about 3/4 of the way through it lol...if I wanted to live in a place that consistently got bombarded with a nor'easterI would move to New Hampshire...but lets be honest...There are no mountains and its still cold as hell in the winter there. You are stuck in Yankee land with some of the largest cities in the world around you...Your state coin has a rock that looks like an old dude on it...Thats neat that you don't pay State Income Tax or Sales Tax...but that's New Hampshire...that's not the United States...Here in Texas..we do things differently. What you guys don't pay in Income/Sales Tax you definitely make up for in Property Taxes lol...pretty much the highest in the nation.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiyoo View Post
I am the same way...cant stand it when I get bad service at a restaurant...but at the same time, thats a really small thing in the grand scheme of things..

Socialized Medicine is not the worst thing in the world and it obviously works in a lot of countries...I wasnt trying to compare that aspect to China or Iran...I just believe its going to be the bane of the United States' economy and eventual economic power in the world...

Point is, that I really dont like it here much anymore...and maybe everyone is right...maybe ill get over there and have a lot of respect for the rights I have here...but its really about what I want right? Right now I want to move to NZ for a while...

I am not one to complain about my situation as I am very blessed in many ways...but at the same time, there has to be more to life then just getting up in the morning, going to work, getting back at night, getting messed up (going down to 6th street) and maybe every once in a while getting a chance to go hiking/backpacking/fishing/ANYTHING outdoors...whereas in New Zealand...you dont exactly have much of a choice living in the Southland...I LOVE THAT ASPECT!
I think change is good a lot of times, but I think if you expect New Zealand to cure you of all these ills of having to go to work and earn a living or ordinary mundane daily tasks, you are in for a shocker. And that's been my point all along, not to dissuade you, but just to realize NZ is not some magic cure, fantasy country.

The people down there for the most part don't lead terribly exciting lives, especially in places like Southland where the geographic reality is pretty limiting. They go to work, take out the trash, wash dishes(and not rinse them well), watch tv, fornicate, drink beer, maybe take in some rugby or cricket on the weekend, get pissed on beer on Friday night and that's about it. So what aspect of Southland do you love? I don't really get what you think is exceptional about it? What exactly is it do you think people do there?

Now if there is one aspect of travel that helps is learning to appreciate what you have at home. Usually when I take my trips down under I'm pretty excited and then after a month, I am glad to be going home. Same even recently when I stayed in my old home town in Colorado, made me appreciate why I left in the first place and why I like where I live now.

Again keep us up to date with your move. I'm sure writing here about your experiences will help other people and make for interesting conversations down the line.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Ya...but you live in New Hampshire...I like how you don't explain that in your message until about 3/4 of the way through it lol...if I wanted to live in a place that consistently got bombarded with a nor'easterI would move to New Hampshire...but lets be honest...There are no mountains and its still cold as hell in the winter there. You are stuck in Yankee land with some of the largest cities in the world around you...Your state coin has a rock that looks like an old dude on it...Thats neat that you don't pay State Income Tax or Sales Tax...but that's New Hampshire...that's not the United States...Here in Texas..we do things differently. What you guys don't pay in Income/Sales Tax you definitely make up for in Property Taxes lol...pretty much the highest in the nation.
No mountains in New Hampshire.

Most of the state is very close to the White Mountains, which having traveled around the world, I'd say are some of the most beautiful and enjoyable I've been to.

White Mountains (New Hampshire) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They also have one of the coolest stretches of interstate highway thru mountains:

Franconia Notch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Southland by the way is not far removed from what the weather is like in Southern New Hampshire. Wait till you get a blast from Antarctica down south in New Zealand.

You are in for some surprises.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
No mountains in New Hampshire.

Most of the state is very close to the White Mountains, which having traveled around the world, I'd say are some of the most beautiful and enjoyable I've been to.

White Mountains (New Hampshire) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They also have one of the coolest stretches of interstate highway thru mountains:

Franconia Notch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Southland by the way is not far removed from what the weather is like in Southern New Hampshire. Wait till you get a blast from Antarctica down south in New Zealand.

You are in for some surprises.
???? UHH dude...those arent mountains...New Zealand has at least 30 peaks 3,000 ft taller than the highest peak in New Hampshire

And you are also VERY wrong about the weather...the average temperatures are way off from New Hampshire to Invercargill (Southern Most City in NZ)...like we are talking the lowest average temperature in Invercargill in teh dead of winter is like 33 degrees (.9 C)...its a freakin ISLAND for crying out loud...

New Hampshire Lows average 8 degrees (-13 C) at its lows.

First of all let me start by restating that I dont mind the cold. I lived in an area where it frequently got down below -10 Degrees Fahrenheit on a regular basis...The point is that if I wanted to live in an area like that I would not go to NZ...I am sure once in a blue moon they get something from Antartica

Considering the lowest temperature ever recorded in New Zealand is pretty much a regular Winter Day in Eastern Montana...I am not too worried about the weather...That being said...New Hampshire still sucks...Why would you want to live in New England??? Housing prices are crazy, property taxes are crazy...they may not be as high as other places in the US or World...but look at where you are stuck...

Anyways point is...the weather is nothing like America in New Zealand...

Old 12-05-2010, 07:21 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,744,394 times
Quote:
That being said...New Hampshire still sucks...Why would you want to live in New England??? Housing prices are crazy, property taxes are crazy...they may not be as high as other places in the US or World...but look at where you are stuck...

I also live in New England and I actually like it here. It reminds me of NZ, green, lots of lakes and trees, people are fairly reserved like NZers.

I am an RN and I have worked in NZ and Australia and now here and I can tell you that I am way better off here financially. I may have been ever better off in another state like Texas, but the point is even in an expensive New England state I am making more money and have more things than I did in Australia and NZ....especially NZ.

Here I can get outdoors in every season and swim, waterski, hike, snowboard, etc. Kind of like NZ except I have the money to do more.

I am absolutely not trying to put you off your trip though. It will be a great adventure for you.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:04 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
Quote:
Listen I wasn't trying to dissuade you from going to NZ. I was merely trying to say the grass isn't always greener. I was once like you, in the honeymoon phase thinking NZ or OZ would be better. I say go for it.

BTW your information on taxes, being surrounded by largest cities and average low of 8.. are inaccurate. But I'm not interested in debating you on NH in the NZ forum. I live here and I know you are wrong.

BTW. Have you checked out move2nz dot org? Thats a good forum for people who are moving to NZ. Wanneroo gives the most sage advice. Go for it. But do a work visa and see if your glasses are still rosy after 6 months. Reality is always a good thing. Though if I lived in Texas I'd probably feel like you.. blech...

Last edited by minibrings; 12-05-2010 at 09:39 AM..

Old 12-05-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
???? UHH dude...those arent mountains...New Zealand has at least 30 peaks 3,000 ft taller than the highest peak in New Hampshire

And you are also VERY wrong about the weather...the average temperatures are way off from New Hampshire to Invercargill (Southern Most City in NZ)...like we are talking the lowest average temperature in Invercargill in teh dead of winter is like 33 degrees (.9 C)...its a freakin ISLAND for crying out loud...

New Hampshire Lows average 8 degrees (-13 C) at its lows.

First of all let me start by restating that I dont mind the cold. I lived in an area where it frequently got down below -10 Degrees Fahrenheit on a regular basis...The point is that if I wanted to live in an area like that I would not go to NZ...I am sure once in a blue moon they get something from Antartica

Considering the lowest temperature ever recorded in New Zealand is pretty much a regular Winter Day in Eastern Montana...I am not too worried about the weather...That being said...New Hampshire still sucks...Why would you want to live in New England??? Housing prices are crazy, property taxes are crazy...they may not be as high as other places in the US or World...but look at where you are stuck...

I have lived and spent plenty of time in both countries. Having a great grasp of stats is nice but it's not real world experience.

And the one big difference regards of the temp is the housing. I'd rather be in a well insulated New England house with central heat and a nice gas fireplace, than a concrete block Kiwi house with a little tiny Fujitsu heater to provide warmth.

Again rather than telling us all you know from not having done something, move and then tell us all about it. I don't know what you are wasting time for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand