Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 01:27 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanija92 View Post
Hello everyone!!!

My name is Stefani and I am starting University in the US, coming up this August of 2010. I want to study abroad in Brisbane Australia. I am also a tennis player and have offers to play college tennis for some top schools. The only problem is, many schools do not offer a study abroad program right in BRISBANE. I have researched, and most of the programs they offer are in cities such as Melbourne, Sydney, and Adelaide : ( I really am in love with Brisbane and I would like to be as close to there as possible. Is there anyone here on this thread who can help me out with this whole process. If the University does not offer programs to study abroad in the city you would like, can there be anything else you can do? I see you all are talking about different colleges and universities you will be studying abroad at, but how do the US Universities let you do that, if they do not offer it? Ugh I am sorry many many questions : ( I hope someone can read this and give me some information. Anything at all would be helpful.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this!
I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Each college study abroad is run differently so it's best to see where you get in and talk to the study abroad offices there. For instance, my college doesn't have it's own study abroad programs but has a list of approved programs (either direct enrollment, experiential learning through a program, or going on another college's program) from which to choose. You can also apply to get approval of schools and programs not on the list, but that's a pain.

I'd assume most US colleges would allow you to direct enroll in the University of Queensland but that is very dependent on your school. Also, any financial aid that you get from your college might not transfer to study abroad. That's something to DEFINITELY look for when accepting a place in college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 05:44 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Your best bet is to to talk to your university in the US. I'm not sure how liberal Unis in the US are for transfer credits. When I was in graduate school at Uni Adelaide they seemed a little more open to taking transfer credit from Unis with whom they did not have a relationship. But then again Adelaide had relationships with a fairly large number of overseas Unis (Toronto, McGill, Berkeley, Helsinki School of Economics), etc. etc. I had actually wanted to take courses at the Asian Institute of Management and that was one school that they had no relationship but I started that process by putting the admissions people at AIM with Adelaide Uni's business school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanija92 View Post
Hello everyone!!!

My name is Stefani and I am starting University in the US, coming up this August of 2010. I want to study abroad in Brisbane Australia. I am also a tennis player and have offers to play college tennis for some top schools. The only problem is, many schools do not offer a study abroad program right in BRISBANE. I have researched, and most of the programs they offer are in cities such as Melbourne, Sydney, and Adelaide : ( I really am in love with Brisbane and I would like to be as close to there as possible. Is there anyone here on this thread who can help me out with this whole process. If the University does not offer programs to study abroad in the city you would like, can there be anything else you can do? I see you all are talking about different colleges and universities you will be studying abroad at, but how do the US Universities let you do that, if they do not offer it? Ugh I am sorry many many questions : ( I hope someone can read this and give me some information. Anything at all would be helpful.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this!

Old 12-29-2009, 05:36 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,930,339 times
^What those two said. Your university should have specific lists of other institutions they have arrangements with, to smooth your path. But if it's any help, some friends of mine living in Sydney did post-grad studies at Melbourne U, while still living in Sydney. A few people I study with at Sydney U also said they'd prefer to study at Melbourne if they had the financial means to live there (i.e away from their parents). Thats just examples of how highly some people think of that particular university.

For an Australian city, Melbourne is probably your best choice. Dont worry about the weather, if you dont like it, wait a bit and it'll change. Melb has wonderful architecture, loads of quirky bars, vibrant culture (with or without a festival occurring), and isn't trying to prove anything, like Sydney, or trying to escape from a nursing home (I'll leave you to guess which town I'm referring to there).
If I was stuck in Oz after graduating, I'd want to move there to study.
Just my 0.02 worth. I heart Melbourne.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:00 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
...For an Australian city, Melbourne is probably your best choice. Dont worry about the weather, if you dont like it, wait a bit and it'll change. Melb has wonderful architecture, loads of quirky bars, vibrant culture (with or without a festival occurring), and isn't trying to prove anything, like Sydney, or trying to escape from a nursing home (I'll leave you to guess which town I'm referring to there).
Perth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
If I was stuck in Oz after graduating, I'd want to move there to study.
Just my 0.02 worth. I heart Melbourne.
Yes, my vote's for Melbourne too. Sister-in-law's daughter goes to Melbourne Uni and loves the area it's in. So much fun and life.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:48 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
If I were you I would choose Melbourne. I lived there for 4 years and went to Uni there and loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand