Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 AM

33 posts, read 77,886 times

Advertisements

I think that hatchbacks look better than most vehicles - especially pick ups and SUVs. And they handle so much better and are much more fun to drive than even the smallest of SUVs.

I know I love my 4-dr diesel hatchback!
Attached Thumbnails
Why do so many men drive hatchbacks?-vw-golf-tdi.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,991 times
Yesterday, I fit 7 pieces of construction lumber 1''x12'' 6 feet long, and 4x4 8 feet long in my Ford Focus zx3, I had space (and power) left for more. I don't recollect any pickup ever out-speeding my small car from a full stop (some tried though). My hilly country road was nothing but plowed sheet of snow compacted into ice for two weeks in row, I navigated that at 40 mph (not smart, but nevertherless). I have a long inclined driveway, it would slowly plow its way up a driveway (if snow cover is on the level of floor line). I don't know whether it's my car, me, or both but it takes off from a full stop really fast leaving everything behind. Ford Focus 0-60 acceleration stats don't back my words, but it's been a while since I was outsped at traffic lights, believe it or not.

Last edited by RememberMee; 01-11-2013 at 12:45 AM..

Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,207,699 times
Because hatchbacks make good tailgate party cars.....It wouldnt look too manly man to tailgate party from some little old mans car like a 4 door mercury

Old 01-11-2013, 04:13 PM

307 posts, read 685,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
I don't, but I work with a guy who does, and he absolutely loves the thing.
I'll have to test drive one.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:54 PM

986 posts, read 2,509,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
It's probably just me but overall I think 99% of hatchbacks look dorky as hell and kind of douchie in a way. I don't know why though but that's the impression I get seeing them on the road.

But most of the time it's always a guy behind the wheel. I see Mazda 3 hatchbacks everywhere and it's some close to 6" or above guy unfolding his body out of this clown car.

I get that it's spacier but why not just get a sedan?

I'm not one to think that only real men drive pickups and such but I don't think hatchbacks scream man at all. Compact, sedans, SUVs, crossovers, trucks and everything else. But those things. I don't know.

If it's not the Mazda it's the Toyota Fit or the VW Golf. I see 2 of those every 10 minutes and they too are all going ridiculously slow. I'm talking 40 on the freeway slow.
Are they racing capable and that's why guys dig them so much? 90% of the time the guys I see on the road here in Houston driving them are driving slowing than grandmas in batmobiles and soccer moms in their huge Honda Odysseys and stuff. They're driving and switching lanes and turning super slow like a student driver or something.
I have never understood the appeal of sedans, with their limited ability to carry taller/larger cargo. I see sedans as potential hatchbacks with the prime hauling space hacked off, and I don't think they look better than hatchbacks. A hatchback can do everything a sedan can, and more.

Also, hatchbacks are often more practical than pickup trucks for accessibility of (moderately large) cargo, and they get much better MPG. They are simply practical.

Those who drive something mainly for image are the ones you truly ought to give grief. See mirror.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:33 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,697,478 times
I have a 2 door Yaris liftback and Im a male. I dont know if its same as a hatchback but i was easily able to haul new furniture(computer cart then a TV cart) home by just folding down the rear seats. its great for long distance travel or transporting other things if youre the only one driving. I like the convex rear window shape which affords good visibility

Old 11-25-2013, 07:45 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,473,854 times
I considered the "hot hatches" mazda speed 3, Subaru WRX, and ford focus ST, but then decided I didn't need the space and got a 370Z instead lol

If i had kids or needed to frequently move stuff I would probably be on one of those three

Old 11-25-2013, 09:04 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,299,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
I have never understood the appeal of sedans, with their limited ability to carry taller/larger cargo. I see sedans as potential hatchbacks with the prime hauling space hacked off, and I don't think they look better than hatchbacks. A hatchback can do everything a sedan can, and more.
Some of us don't need to haul large items in our sedans because we either don't haul large items, or have trucks/SUVs to do that job. Besides, my BMW 740iL would have looked stupid as a hatchback.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:35 AM

8,327 posts, read 13,462,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Personally, I find sedans boring. Boring looking, and boring utility. However my next car will probably be a sedan. I am getting older and i need a car easy for me and for four or more adult passengers to get in and out of. At least there are some decent performance sedans available. I will miss my hatchback coupe camaro Z28, but I will still have a truck for when I want to look extra manly, and a little british roadster for when I want to look silly and mid life crisessy. I will just yawn my way to work and events in a sedan for the rest of my life.
I was at a Nissan dealership over the weekend and checking out the Versa Note (nice subcompact vehicle but seemed so sluggish), the sales guy started pushing me towards the Sentra.
Man, talk about simple and boring looking sedan, to me, a picture of Nissan Sentra should be in the dictionary right next to lame/boring! It might be a reliable, inexpensive little car but no way would I buy such a boring looking car.
Zero style, especially the front and interior. Ugh!

I really like the Mazda 3 but I am hearing really mixed reviews though. I checked out Kia Forte, nice looking on the outside but interior looking sort of cheap and the brand doesn't have any history to hint me that it is reliable.
Does anyone own a Kia that is older than 7 years and/or 100K miles and still happily driving it? Anyone?

Hyundai Elantra GT/Accent hatchback looked OK but salesman kept saying Elantra GT over Accent. Price difference is not that much but supposedly Elantra has more noticeable power and also long-term functionality to it (not sure what he meant). I didn't test drive one because I am still biased towards the brand and I wasn't too excited about the feel or price tag.

VW GT looked really nice but man, talk about overpriced. Yes, I think VW's are at least $5-$6K overpriced. Plus they had many issues in the 90s so not sure if the newer ones will be more reliable?

I have disliked Ford after owning two 80s models in the 90s and avoided the brand altogether but it seems they have improved their quality and style quite a bit. I liked the Focus hatchback looks a lot and now, I am considering it as well. That said, their mpg rating and price tag is a concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcmw1794 View Post
Easier to toss the body of the prostitute they just off'd hey everyone knows that.
How often you see a prostitute getting picked up in a Prius which would actually make more sense since you need the savings?

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 11-25-2013 at 11:08 AM..

Old 11-25-2013, 10:48 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,984,059 times
You do realize these are hatchbacks too, right?

http://www.onallcylinders.com/wp-con...3-Corvette.jpg

http://static.cargurus.com/images/si...703171844.jpeg

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/fi...e-stingray.jpg

Not sure what is dorky or douchie about an 8 cylinder muscle/sports car...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive