Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 07:26 AM

774 posts, read 2,602,212 times

Advertisements

A good buddy of mine drives a 2010 CC which he loves for the looks. The actual quality of the car is something completely different. Having left him on the side of the road at least a dozen times in the first couple of yrs he owned it I'm not sure why he continues to put up with it.

The stories of VW's poor quality isn't a myth. It's very real.

I'm glad the OP has has good luck with his cars. Unfortunatly he is the minority
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 05:15 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
A good buddy of mine drives a 2010 CC which he loves for the looks. The actual quality of the car is something completely different. Having left him on the side of the road at least a dozen times in the first couple of yrs he owned it I'm not sure why he continues to put up with it.

The stories of VW's poor quality isn't a myth. It's very real.

I'm glad the OP has has good luck with his cars. Unfortunatly he is the minority
Yet VW continues to gain market share. That just doesn't make any sense.

I've talked to more than a few people who have had nothing but good luck with their VW's. A girl at work has an older Jetta diesel with over 200K on it and she said very few problems.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:30 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,969 times
I'm hoping someone here can tell me newer VWs (especially the GTI) have addressed the quality concerns from prior years. I'm looking into getting a new car in the next week or so, and I loved the GTI on the test drive, but I don't want to get it if the darned thing requires going to the dealer all the time. The TrueDelta site is really useful, so thanks to the user who posted that link.

I was actually looking at the GTI vs the Focus ST vs the Civic Si. The Si was losing pretty badly on the test drive, but the price was pretty good, and it seemed a little more mature than the other two. Seeing these comments, and those ratings, I'm starting to wonder if either the ST or the GTI are really a good idea..?

Old 07-20-2014, 08:57 PM

534 posts, read 2,408,376 times
Its simple. Do you plan on buying it new? Do you plan on keeping it forever (long time)?

If its new, even if it gives you fits, its vw's problem, its just your inconvenience. New cars SHOULD be good, and regardless will be fixed under warranty. The only real time you have to worry about things like this is if you buy out of warranty, or keep your cars for a long time. Both of which i do, which (due to 2 bad jetta experiences), i will not be doing again.

If I had the dough, didn't care about the resale value, etc, I'd have no problem buying a new VW, and getting rid of it when warranty expires. They are fun cars with some soul. At least the GTI, and turbo beetle, and CC...

Old 07-20-2014, 09:11 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

I've talked to more than a few people who have had nothing but good luck with their VW's. A girl at work has an older Jetta diesel with over 200K on it and she said very few problems.
Volkswagen is bleeding market share, down 15% compared to a year ago and off 11% YTD.

http://247wallst.com/autos/2014/06/0...inue-to-worsen.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:25 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,860,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post

If its new, even if it gives you fits, its vw's problem, its just your inconvenience. New cars SHOULD be good, and regardless will be fixed under warranty. The only real time you have to worry about things like this is if you buy out of warranty, or keep your cars for a long time. Both of which i do, which (due to 2 bad jetta experiences), i will not be doing again..
Not necessarily true. A lot of problems are minor and the dealer could claim they can not reproduce. I have had this issue both with Honda and Ford. Not all problems are safety issue, so you can not lemon law a car just because it has noisy suspension or creaky dash. Also, even when they fix problems under warranty, you usually don't get a loaner and are on your own, not to mention you have to loose time from work/school to take the car in. The bigger problem is when the warranty runs out and if you have an unreliable car it will nickle and dime you and usually the resale on this cars are not good either.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:51 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The reason why it doesn't makes sense is because it isn't true, at least not for the U.S. market.

VW Rise to No. 1 Remains Elusive as U.S. Sales Disappoint - Bloomberg

"'We understand Europe, we understand China and we understand Brazil," VW Chairman Ferdinand Piech told Bloomberg News at an event in Vienna this month. "But we only understand the U.S. to a certain degree so far."

Well sir, there's not much to understand: the Japanese brands came along and set a standard for combined quality, reliability, and low operating costs that we have come to expect from our vehicles and that Volkswagen has yet to deliver. That's why they long ago surpassed your company (and knocked other Euro marques out of the U.S. market altogether) as the preferred import marques, preferred so much that we even prefer them to our own brands when it comes to passenger cars. You can rest on your "premium brand" laurels in other markets, but until you step up your game you'll have little more prestige than Toyota or Honda and you'll be clinging precariously to your remaining 2% market share.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:56 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
I'm hoping someone here can tell me newer VWs (especially the GTI) have addressed the quality concerns from prior years. I'm looking into getting a new car in the next week or so, and I loved the GTI on the test drive, but I don't want to get it if the darned thing requires going to the dealer all the time. The TrueDelta site is really useful, so thanks to the user who posted that link.
Ive got a 2013 GTI with about 17k miles one it. Had it since 2 miles. Only time it's been to the dealer is for the 10k service. Had a stage one tune for about 2k miles and still no issues.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:55 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,969 times
Cool, thanks for the feedback Me007gold. I'm still going to test drive the Civic Si & the Volt, so we'll see where things fall after those test drives. Right now the GTI is my fave, but those quality concerns are a big deal.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:08 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,264,181 times
Lease their cars then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive