Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 12:22 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Never had a VW. FWIW, I think reliability used to be quite good with the brand, key word USED to be. I know a couple who have an 80's Jetta, it's still running strong after over 300k. Same thing goes for the 80's Golf, they were also known to be very reliable. Fast forward to the 2000's though, and there's plenty of horror stories out there regarding reliability for their newer models.
VW makes cars in Wolfsburg, Germany and Mexico (not including their plant in Tennessee) and of the three, I would personally choose a car made in Wolfsburg first. I have heard of some horror stories of Beetle's and Jetta's rolling off the assembly line in Mexico, and have learned the 2015 GTI will be made in Mexico as well, which means I may trade up to a 2014 GTI someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 01:15 PM

534 posts, read 2,408,650 times
Im down from 4 vw's to one...

I tried. it didnt work out. Transmissions (plural) are expensive.
The nickel and dime stuff is more like 500 and 1000...

The rock star mechanics attitude.. (minus one, i dont thinks hes on here but he knows who he is and he SAVED MY ASS on my 2.5).

And yes, if you have newish cars, with maintenance done, they SHOULDN'T break. CC's shouldn't need *THREE* Computers in 3 months!! etc!!
Owning Honda/Toyota for many years has really lowered my tolerance of car repairs, that could be the problem. So Im back to them, and life is good.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:06 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I've owned two Golfs, driven to 180,000 and 150,000 miles respectively (give or take a dozen miles). Neither had significant reliability issues. The older was made in Pennsylvania, the newer in Mexico.

The only problem with my Golfs was that other drivers kept hitting them.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:15 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Its not a myth. Your one anecdote is not even close to a drop of the bucket of the actual raw data out there that shows VW reliability is well under industry standard.

And btw. 100k miles is NOTHING. Let me know how the next 100k goes in the VW. I know from experience what its really like.
+1

But...what can we expect from the OP when he doesn't even know how to spell Volkswagen correctly?

Old 06-01-2014, 03:35 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
I don't think the unreliability issue is a myth.

Look thru craigslist for used VW's and when reading the ads, note how many of the cars advertised have electrical issues, trans issues, blown head gaskets, etc. Plus, their resale value is terrible - most likely as a result of the poor reliability.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
I don't think the unreliability issue is a myth.

Look thru craigslist for used VW's and when reading the ads, note how many of the cars advertised have electrical issues, trans issues, blown head gaskets, etc. Plus, their resale value is terrible - most likely as a result of the poor reliability.
"Comes standard with non-functioning cruise control."

I don't know if it's poor reliability so much as the cost of repairs compared to their more ubiquitous American and Japanese competitors.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:18 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,896 times
What a silly thread. The OP was merely sharing his success story with one type of car. He didn't present it as a summary endorsement of every car that was ever made. Let's face it there are only a few facts when it comes down to evaluating and comparing cars;

1) All makes and models will have some lemons in the bunch.

2) Every make and model is junk in someone eyes, and the same make and model is the best car ever in another persons eyes.

3) People like different things, hence all the different car options. There will never be one car that is all things to all people.

To post anything with the intent to encourage or discourage anyone in one direction of another is pointless. At best you can offer empirical evidence of your own experience and anecdotal evidence from friends and associates.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:32 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
What a silly thread. The OP was merely sharing his success story with one type of car. He didn't present it as a summary endorsement of every car that was ever made. Let's face it there are only a few facts when it comes down to evaluating and comparing cars;

2) Every make and model is junk in someone eyes, and the same make and model is the best car ever in another persons eyes.

3) People like different things, hence all the different car options. There will never be one car that is all things to all people.

To post anything with the intent to encourage or discourage anyone in one direction of another is pointless. At best you can offer empirical evidence of your own experience and anecdotal evidence from friends and associates.

Again. By pure data, VW bad reliability is most certainly NOT a myth. So regardless of the OPs VERY limited experience, his statement is false. They are certainly LESS reliable than the industry standard.

The VDS is based on responses from more than 41,000 original owners of 3-year old vehicles. It is a companion to Power's annual Initial Quality Study, or IQS, that measures problems new vehicles in the first 90 days of ownership.

The VDS offers overall brand lineup scores — Lexus was by far the best — and also lists best individual models by vehicle type. General Motors was segment champ, with eight winners. Toyota won seven.

Brand scores (problems per 100 vehicles for 2011 models; lower is better):

Lexus (68)Mercedes-Benz (104)Cadillac (107)Acura (109)Buick (112)Honda (114)Lincoln (114)Toyota (114)Porsche (125)Infiniti (128)BMW (130)Subaru (131)Chevrolet (132)Jaguar (132)Mazda (132)GMC (133)INDUSTRY AVERAGE (133)Ford (140)Nissan (142)Audi (151)Kia (151)Volvo (152)Scion (153)Chrysler (155)Volkswagen (158)Ram (165)Mitsubishi (166)Hyundai (169)Jeep (178)Land Rover (179)Dodge (181)Mini (185)

Old 06-01-2014, 04:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
What a silly thread. The OP was merely sharing his success story with one type of car. He didn't present it as a summary endorsement of every car that was ever made.
What he did isn't too far from that; namely, trying to use his "success stories" as you put it to absolve the entire brand of its reputation.

Quote:
Let's face it there are only a few facts when it comes down to evaluating and comparing cars;

Actually there is plenty of reliability data available for consumers to use to help make an informed decision. And while any one person can hold bizarre or irrational opinions about any number of things including automotive brands, those brands' general reputations usually don't just materialize out of the blue.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:50 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
I have a Dodge and a VW. Both have been pretty good, but the air conditioner blew up last week. Quoted over $2200 to fix it! Nope, not worth it. I'll stick with the Dodge or Ford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive