Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 09:06 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times

Advertisements

Big cars are cheaper to insure......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 09:33 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,424,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I drive over to Trader Joe's or get some coffee at Starbucks I see a good amount of hybrids, mini cars, and compacts.

When I drove down to Walmart or swing by McDonalds all I see is big SUVs, trucks, and more big cars.

I was looking over at a woman in an Escalade and her 3 kids sitting inside arguing with no seat belts on. Forget how her kids are behaving, I was thinking about her $80+ fuel fill-ups. I can't even imagine spending over $100/month on gas for my Prius.
Why do you assume this woman was poor?

Old 07-23-2014, 09:51 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,567 times
Only anal-retentive, overly-judgemental, hyper-sensitive 'nanny-state' supporting douche-nozzles would obscess about such trivial things as others who make 'immoral vehicle choices'.

I bought my 92' half-ton Silverado 8 yrs ago (with 172,000k on the odo) because it was ALL I could afford, after my 82' half-ton High-Sierra finally quit me at 300,000.0+ miles.

It still gets me from A to Z at an avg 17mpg which I am able to achieve by KEEPING her at an avg 55mph...

...which no doubt irritates everybody else 'unfortunate' enough to be 'stuck' behind me, while on double-lined roads, but you know what ?

I DON'T CARE how much of a hurry other people behind me are in...

I PLANNED AHEAD AND LEFT EARLY !

TOO DAMN BAD about those behind me, who are caught up in their 'fast-paced lifestyle'...

You want me to move faster, and more efficiently ?

YOU come up with the money to put me behind the wheel of something newer, faster and 'more efficient'...

...it ain't MY job to 'keep up' with everyone else around me; I have enough worries in my life, without having to 'keep up' with everyone elses.

Nuff said ! ! !

Old 07-23-2014, 09:52 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
$80.00 fill up is cheap, we pay closer to $130.00 on a good day and we continue to keep and drive our Suburban because we like it and it is what we want to drive. Also, we don't drive just to get a coffee because I fix coffee at home and we do not shop at Trader Joe's either. There are more reasonable cost at other markets with better quality food in our opinion.

I would no more look at a Prius let alone drive one or any other vehicle considered a "car". I haven't drive a car in more than 20 years and I am not about to start now.

I am curious why you specifically mentioned Trader Joe's and Starbucks when speaking about specific vehicles then you mention Walmart and McDonald's when speaking about other vehicles.

Are you implying something with your specifics?
TJ's gets rated by consumer reports and others as one of the cheapest grocers. i definitely shop there to save money.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:05 AM

359 posts, read 779,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
From the OP, only poor people shop at Wal-Mart, and they make immoral vehicle choices.
gotcha!

Thanks for the insight. I guess I need to start shopping at walmart too.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:37 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
My wife and I are far from wealthy. We own two vehicles. I bought my 2003 Malibu in 2004 for $10,000. I picked it because of the smooth ride, remaining factory warranty, low miles, and of course price. Because of how I drive, I get between 22 to 24 MPG in town driving and over 30 highway driving. My wife had a 1997 Mazda Protege' LX. It was still running great in 2009 when a woman in a 4 door Jeep Wrangler ran a stop sign and hit her. She picked the 2007 Chrysler Sebring for $17,000 (less with family discount) mostly because it was one of the very few cars that allowed her to see over the dashboard without a seat cushion and it has an adjustable lumbar support that goes directly into the deep curve of her spine. It has the 2.4L engine and she's averaging 24 MPG and she has a heavy foot. Next year I'll be replacing my Malibu and I've shortened my list to Hyundai Elantra, Kia Forte, and Ford Focus. Which one I get depends on how easily my wife can get in and out (spinal problems), smooth ride, and price. We'll also test ride the Kia Soul because we hear it would be easier for her to get in and out the vehicle.

We shop Walmart regularly and I too am shocked at some of the vehicles I see. I see Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Cadillac, and even a Land Rover or two. There is a wide variety of vehicles depending on what part of town the store is located. In our area, we usually shop the Walmart in the poor side of town. We see many, not all, poor blacks driving the cheaper big used cars/SUVs and then slap on huge rims and even bigger stereo systems. Then again, there are some poor blacks who don't bother with this stuff. They buy the best car they can afford and make the best of what they have.
Could it be that many middle-income and wealthy blacks also like to save, and some even shop at the same WalMart you frequent on the poor side of town????

Maybe some of the blacks you see there are poor and maybe some are not? Poor, middle-income and wealthy people of all colors like to save.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:20 PM

210 posts, read 246,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
Only anal-retentive, overly-judgemental, hyper-sensitive 'nanny-state' supporting douche-nozzles would obscess about such trivial things as others who make 'immoral vehicle choices'.

I bought my 92' half-ton Silverado 8 yrs ago (with 172,000k on the odo) because it was ALL I could afford, after my 82' half-ton High-Sierra finally quit me at 300,000.0+ miles.

It still gets me from A to Z at an avg 17mpg which I am able to achieve by KEEPING her at an avg 55mph...

...which no doubt irritates everybody else 'unfortunate' enough to be 'stuck' behind me, while on double-lined roads, but you know what ?

I DON'T CARE how much of a hurry other people behind me are in...

I PLANNED AHEAD AND LEFT EARLY !

TOO DAMN BAD about those behind me, who are caught up in their 'fast-paced lifestyle'...

You want me to move faster, and more efficiently ?

YOU come up with the money to put me behind the wheel of something newer, faster and 'more efficient'...

...it ain't MY job to 'keep up' with everyone else around me; I have enough worries in my life, without having to 'keep up' with everyone elses.

Nuff said ! ! !
You lost me at the bolded....

Old 07-23-2014, 01:27 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayla2go View Post
You lost me at the bolded....
Yes, me too, because--simply enough, if your slow driving is holding up everybody, MOVE OVER!!! Period.

As for the topic at hand--I myself am partial to vehicles that get good gasoline mileage. In fact, I think even 4 cylinders drink too much gas. I want something that gets, say, 150 miles per gallon (yes, 150) and STILL can go 80 mph on the freeway painlessly and STILL has room for 5 full grown adults and luggage STILL doesn't cost an arm and a leg and STILL just drives and drives and drives without constant need of repairs.

It absolutely blows my mind how much money gasoline costs. To me, a person driving, say, 15 miles to work each way and driving a smaller vehicle, it shouldn't cost more than $20 a month for that--yes, $20 a month. To have to spend in the range of $150 a month just to go back & forth to work 15 miles each way, that is an EXTREMELY HUGE amount of money to me.

No way you'll catch me in a gas-guzzling SUV (which to me stands for "stupid useless vehicles"). I'm not silly enough to buy a vehicle based on its looks, which 80% of the time from what I've seen is exactly why people buy them, it's the whole "I wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan" mentality. WHO CARES what a vehicle LOOKS like? It's not a woman in a bikini, and it's not like your vehicle won't be easily smashed in the looks department by the likes of a Corvette or the like anyway. You see the same thing with phones, too, people being so obsessed with a phone's appearance. WHO CARES? It's their right to buy for that reason or for any other, but man is it silly to me.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:44 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Yes, me too, because--simply enough, if your slow driving is holding up everybody, MOVE OVER!!! Period.
Agreed

Quote:
As for the topic at hand--I myself am partial to vehicles that get good gasoline mileage. In fact, I think even 4 cylinders drink too much gas. I want something that gets, say, 150 miles per gallon (yes, 150) and STILL can go 80 mph on the freeway painlessly and STILL has room for 5 full grown adults and luggage STILL doesn't cost an arm and a leg and STILL just drives and drives and drives without constant need of repairs.
What color are the unicorns in your world?

Quote:
It absolutely blows my mind how much money gasoline costs.
Outside of Saudi Arabia or other government owned oil producing countries where fuel is heavily subsidized, like Venuzuela, gas is cheaper here than anywhere by a HUGE margin. Americans griping about fuel costs look extremely foolish to Europeans and Asians who routinely deal with gas prices 2-3 times as high as ours.

Quote:
To me, a person driving, say, 15 miles to work each way and driving a smaller vehicle, it shouldn't cost more than $20 a month for that--yes, $20 a month. To have to spend in the range of $150 a month just to go back & forth to work 15 miles each way, that is an EXTREMELY HUGE amount of money to me.
You need a better job, that pays the bills. Of course, that;s why I drive a primarily electric car, as it only costs me $10 a month to commute in it. But, the car costs me around $300 amonth (which is what the gas bill was in my paid off older car, so there is that)

Quote:
No way you'll catch me in a gas-guzzling SUV (which to me stands for "stupid useless vehicles"). I'm not silly enough to buy a vehicle based on its looks, which 80% of the time from what I've seen is exactly why people buy them, it's the whole "I wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan" mentality. WHO CARES what a vehicle LOOKS like? It's not a woman in a bikini, and it's not like your vehicle won't be easily smashed in the looks department by the likes of a Corvette or the like anyway. You see the same thing with phones, too, people being so obsessed with a phone's appearance. WHO CARES? It's their right to buy for that reason or for any other, but man is it silly to me.
I don't drive my (older) Suburban every day, but when I do drive it, it's damn useful. It may be useless to you, but your closed minded, insulting attitude makes you look like an idiot. Is that how you want to be perceived?

Old 07-23-2014, 01:49 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
And rich people think there sh*** don't stink.
You know, that's just as rude and ignorant as making blanketed statements about the poor... so try not fighting fire with fire, if you know what I mean.

P.S. It's spelled their; plus you're not allowed to use "bad words" here, even with the ***s. I don't usually play spelling or cursing police here, but yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive