Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 10:53 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Apparently, you don't know much about simple physics. The heavier the vehicle, the harder it is on roadways, not to mention pollution. Obviously less educated people are going to drive giant SUVs and empty pickups, because they are not advanced vehicles. These large vehicles are in 70's mode.

I stick by my original statement. It isn't about poor, it is more about education. The example given was Trader Joe's, which is actually a reasonably priced place to shop with great quality in comparison to Walmart and McDonalds. You will see the overweight poorer people at the Walmarts and McDonalds. Of course these are general observations and like most statistics, they don't mean ALL poor, or ALL educated, or ALL anything. Just MORE, not ALL.

Oh and when you call someone a name like, "elitist liberal", do you think that strengthens your argument and makes you sound intelligent?
Why then make an anecdotal statement?

Weren't we taught as children not to judge a book by its cover?

Why is it acceptable that some Prius owner can question me, or ignorantly call me poor because I drive a truck and an SUV (mpg 18 & 15 respectively) but they don't give the guy driving the 13-15 mpg Maserati any flak?
Gas Mileage of 2014 Vehicles by Maserati

PS -- I am a college-educated, small business owner who shops at Trader Joes and Walmart, and who drives an SUV (15 mpg local, 18 hwy) or a truck (18 mpg local, 20 hwy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 10:55 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef-YWyG5TXw

This isn't the cartoon. This is an interview with the creators about the inspiration for the SMUG episode.

NSFW

Old 07-24-2014, 11:44 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Who do poor people drive gas guzzlers? For the same reason that poor people are more likely to do things like smoke cigarettes or play the lottery: a lot of poor people are poor because they are stupid.
Ignorant =/= stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
True story - the Sonata gets a mix of 26 on paper but real world is more like 18mpg. My SUV gets 16mpg. Plenty of crossovers do better too. Beginning to wonder how much Hyundai cheats on their mpg numbers.
False.

"Real world" MPG depends on the driver. Anyone can beat on a car and make its MPG look like crap. Those same people then rip the car up in auto journals. I had a Kia Optima (same family as Hyundai) in the desert and got 40 MPG at 75 mph. SUV's can't do that, sorry.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:52 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Ignorant =/= stupid.
It may not even be ignorant. It may be "best they can do."

I keep hearing about "poor people" with expensive cars. I don't know exactly what these writers mean by "poor" nor do I know exactly what they mean by "expensive."

Poor to me means that you're living in subsidized housing with subsidized food, depend on Medicaid as your only source of medical care, and buy clothes and furniture exclusively at the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores.

A "poor" person would not have been able to save up a down payment on a new car and can't get credit for a new car--at least not for the full price of one. A poor person has to buy a used car at absurd interest rates from "Shady Sam's Used Cars" and must take whatever Sam has on his lot of cars that the dealers didn't want to sell...which will not include a Prius.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:16 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Quote:
Apparently, you don't know much about simple physics. The heavier the vehicle, the harder it is on roadways, not to mention pollution. Obviously less educated people are going to drive giant SUVs and empty pickups, because they are not advanced vehicles. These large vehicles are in 70's mode.
Obviously, you have no idea how people use their SUV's and pickup trucks. Have you ever considered that maybe they have a boat or camper to tow? Maybe they have 6 or more people in their family? Have you considered that the "empty" pickup truck might be on the way to pickup (pun intended) something that can't fit in your mini-econo-box? Maybe that SUV or truck owner is a tradesman and you just happen to see them driving on their day off work?

Quote:
I stick by my original statement. It isn't about poor, it is more about education. The example given was Trader Joe's, which is actually a reasonably priced place to shop with great quality in comparison to Walmart and McDonalds. You will see the overweight poorer people at the Walmarts and McDonalds. Of course these are general observations and like most statistics, they don't mean ALL poor, or ALL educated, or ALL anything. Just MORE, not ALL.

Oh and when you call someone a name like, "elitist liberal", do you think that strengthens your argument and makes you sound intelligent?
Does claiming that fat, poor, uneducated people shop at Walmart and eat McDonald's food (what if they got the salad?) make you sound intelligent? I stand by my claim that you are indeed, an elitist liberal.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:19 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Quote:
True story - the Sonata gets a mix of 26 on paper but real world is more like 18mpg. My SUV gets 16mpg. Plenty of crossovers do better too. Beginning to wonder how much Hyundai cheats on their mpg numbers.
They cheated enough that they got caught...

https://hyundaimpginfo.com/

Old 07-24-2014, 12:57 PM

865 posts, read 2,162,355 times
Quote:
Really?

My lifted Jeep with heavy bumper, larger mud tires and a glorified tractor engine has no problem getting a mix of 16. Hyundai must have done something really wrong.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:14 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,058,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I drive over to Trader Joe's or get some coffee at Starbucks I see a good amount of hybrids, mini cars, and compacts.

When I drove down to Walmart or swing by McDonalds all I see is big SUVs, trucks, and more big cars.

I was looking over at a woman in an Escalade and her 3 kids sitting inside arguing with no seat belts on. Forget how her kids are behaving, I was thinking about her $80+ fuel fill-ups. I can't even imagine spending over $100/month on gas for my Prius.
Nice, you think you are better than others because you shop at Starbucks and Trader Joes? Worry more about yourself than what the people who are "below" you are doing.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:18 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Poor people that need a car drive cheap clunkers because that is all they can afford. People like me also drive very used, but not clunking, cars because they do not want to become poor.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:56 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,058,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Poor people that need a car drive cheap clunkers because that is all they can afford. People like me also drive very used, but not clunking, cars because they do not want to become poor.
Exactly, look at any used car lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive