Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 01:21 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
They were under caution, so they were not at racing speed. I read that Tony was probably going 30 to 45 mph when he hit Ward.

So, I assume that you will test this and step into the middle of a typical city street where the speed limit is 35-45 MPH at night and wander around in traffic expecting people to stop? That is what this would be like, except the cars on the street have better visibility and can stop faster.

It seems like they are going so slow because they are a long way away and were going 100 and now are going less than half that, but stand on the side of a 5 lane collector street and traffic seems like it is moving pretty fast to me.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:24 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
So, I assume that you will test this and step into the middle of a typical city street where the speed limit is 35-45 MPH at night and wander around in traffic expecting people to stop? That is what this would be like, except the cars on the street have better visibility and can stop faster.
Don't forget to wear all black, and do it while its raining.

2,155 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
They were under caution, so they were not at racing speed. I read that Tony was probably going 30 to 45 mph when he hit Ward.
As I said, I am not familiar with this track, so I guessed at what caution speeds were. I thoroughly understand the track was under caution so nobody was going racing speed.

FYI 45 mph on dirt is very different from 45 mph on pavement regards evasive maneuvers and quick stopping. Nor do you have nice bright headlights and a nice clean windshield.

Don in Austin

522 posts, read 721,834 times
I like how people who's experience in racing is that of seeing one race on a TV suddenly became the all knowing powers. :|

Old 08-12-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
As I said, I am not familiar with this track, so I guessed at what caution speeds were. I thoroughly understand the track was under caution so nobody was going racing speed.

FYI 45 mph on dirt is very different from 45 mph on pavement regards evasive maneuvers and quick stopping. Nor do you have nice bright headlights and a nice clean windshield.

Don in Austin
you're using common sense and personal experience/knowledge.
Internet doesn't work like that.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:28 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Competition can bring out the worst in some people. Also, Tony has made threats in the past to run down another driver.
After he's been crashed out on purpose. Again, what in THIS scenario would have made him angry?? Hmmm???

He's also said crashes that other people started were "just racing" and NOT got mad about them, because they were just accidents. So you can't just say any crash he's involved in, even tangentally, he gets angry and makes death threats.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:29 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
"From what I saw, Tony did everything in his power to turn down away from Kevin to avoid him," said sprint car driver Cory Sparks.
Sparks was just a few cars behind Stewart during Saturday's race. He said videos that have been posted online do not give an accurate picture of what happened.

"People say that they heard the engine rev up and he gassed it. In a sprint car, the only way to steer is you steer with the rear wheels as much as you do the steering wheel. In my opinion, what he did was he gassed it to turn down away from him," said Sparks.

Sparks also said drivers are very limited with the amount they can see out of the right side of the car.

"Kevin was wearing all-black. A black fire suit, a black helmet, which in normal situations isn't a big deal, they are to go with the colors of your car. It was tragic accident and a mistake was made," said Sparks.

Witness to Tony Stewart Crash Says Driver Could Not Have Avoided Hitting Other Driver - Time Warner Cable News
What would Sparks know? (sarcasm) He only knows how sprint car racing works from the driver's seat as opposed to from a recliner seat in front of a TV.

Has anybody mentioned that when you are properly strapped in to a race car your neck movement to look around you is limited?

Don in Austin

Old 08-12-2014, 01:31 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
What would Sparks know? (sarcasm) He only knows how sprint car racing works from the driver's seat as opposed to from a recliner seat in front of a TV.

Has anybody mentioned that when you are properly strapped in to a race car your neck movement to look around you is limited?
I think I mentioned it in passing a couple times, lastly on page 10.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:

not only that, but when you're driving a loosely controlled vehicle (Formula D, Sprint cars, twisties experience here), you're not paying a whole lot of attention to what's going on outside of your car's passage width.

I've caught a bunch of flack for this before on tracks, but I know I've failed to drop my speeds on the warning flag right away because I was very much focused on the road and keeping my vehicle in the position I needed it to be in (be it sideways or hugging a turn).

Old 08-12-2014, 01:34 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Ive watched it a few more times and hope they release the other video. I don't think TS tried to hit him on purpose but rather speed past him to avoid having an altercation with him. He saw the kid. He knew the kid was upset and was out of the car in order to have it out with him. If he was going slow enough and the kid got in front he would have had to have stopped and dealt with him. That means unbuckling and getting out and have to throw down. Im not saying TS was scared to face him or anything like that - he just didn't want to deal with the BS and blow his racing zone. So his orginal intent was to just drive right past the kid who was dumb enough to get too close thinking TS would slow down or get out and want to fight. By the time both men realized what the other was doing, it was too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive