Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 02:50 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,129,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
You seem to be one of those critics who believe that just because something doesn't work for you, it won't work for anyone. I was simply pointing out that there are places where solar and EVs already work for many people.
But still an unprofitable business for automakers. Until you can charge a EV in the same time as it takes to fill up your gas tank. And can get the same millage per charge as you can with gasoline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 03:03 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,129,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
By this stupid logic, we should all still be riding around in a horse and buggy. Do you know how many car manufacturers went out of business when gasoline powered cars were first hitting the road? Let's just say it was a LOT more than 1.
Gm made a EV along time ago did not work then and still is not working today. They lose $$$$ on every volt they sell. They are in the business of making money. They have been around since 1902 I don't see then going anywhere soon same with Ford and Chrysler. They also lose money on there EV. In fact Chrysler CEO tells buyers not to buy there EV Fiat

Old 09-29-2014, 03:15 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
But still an unprofitable business for automakers. Until you can charge a EV in the same time as it takes to fill up your gas tank.
How does recharge time affect manufacturer profitability?

Regardless, as has been mentioned here, recharging an EV is just a different experience than going to the gas station. It's no different than plugging in your cell phone to charge before you go to bed. You even don't have to make a stop on your way home or on your way to work to refuel. Just pull into your garage and plug in. Wake up to a "full tank" every day.

But that said, I freely admit having access to an accessible outlet can be an issue for apartment dwellers, for instance. That is a notable challenge.

Quote:
And can get the same millage per charge as you can with gasoline.
It's only a matter of time...and not a lot of time...before this is moot.

I know probably 15 people with an EV, including two Teslas, several Leafs, and a smattering of others. They are all fully aware they can't just drive to Vegas (I'm in LA) and back without a recharge and thus if they need to take a long trip they don't use their EV. Unless they drive a Volt, which has better than a tankful-of-gas range. SO it's not like a (for now) limited range is an unknown.

That said, virtually ALL of them get better than advertised range on their vehicles.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:20 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times
I don't really care about saving the environment (although I probably should).. I only care about having a car that'll cost me as little as possible both in the short and long run.. if a "bonus" from owning such a car means less environmental impact, then great!

Unfortunately, most electric cars are not financially viable in that sense.. hybrids are another story if they're used and have very high MPG (like a Prius.)

Old 09-29-2014, 03:24 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,298,006 times
Quote:
Gm made a EV along time ago did not work then and still is not working today. They lose $$$$ on every volt they sell.
No, they don't. The article you're thinking of amortized the cost of R&D across a mere 6000 cars produced at that time. There have been 65,000 Volts sold so far and they make money on every one, even at the new reduced price, and will make more on every Volt 2 sold when that comes out next year. You really come across as ignorant continually.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The best is the upcoming technology called solar roadways. It was calculated that if the United States replaced all roads with solar panel roadways, it would provide enough solar power for the entire country three times over. The panels could also be used to melt snow on their surface.
I'm a big supporter of solar power, but it's important to keep clear what is practical technology and what is merely theoretical. The so called "solar roadways" prototypes didn't even include solar cells. So far it's just an idea. It's not "upcoming" yet because nobody knows if it will work, or even if those glass tiles will be a practical road surface.

On the other hand, people who live in cold northern climes can use solar energy fed into the grid from other parts of the country. It's been calculated that Texas alone could power the entire country using their solar and wind power resources, and it is clean, pollution free energy that both endlessly renewable and free. They are actually developing that capability now, and feeding the grid with electricity that is cost competitive with traditional sources.

And that's a great argument for EVS... solar and wind power generates electricity, not gasoline.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:36 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I don't really care about saving the environment (although I probably should).. I only care about having a car that'll cost me as little as possible both in the short and long run.. if a "bonus" from owning such a car means less environmental impact, then great!

Unfortunately, most electric cars are not financially viable in that sense.. hybrids are another story if they're used and have very high MPG (like a Prius.)
I'd be curious what your logic/calculations look like for, say, a Chevy Volt, which is a modestly priced car with excellent range and mileage.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:43 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I'd be curious what your logic/calculations look like for, say, a Chevy Volt, which is a modestly priced car with excellent range and mileage.
Until there's a sizable used car market for used electrics, I won't even consider them..

The most I'll ever spend on another car is around $10,000.. which is enough for an older Prius (say before 2010 or so).. but until there are Volts going for that price, it's difficult to justify the additional cost.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:49 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
No, they don't. The article you're thinking of amortized the cost of R&D across a mere 6000 cars produced at that time. There have been 65,000 Volts sold so far and they make money on every one, even at the new reduced price, and will make more on every Volt 2 sold when that comes out next year. You really come across as ignorant continually.
This was on Jalopnik and I was cracking up. I would have loved to read a headline stated that GM loses 500 million for every Volt sold.

"Really, every new car goes through this stageā€” the companies have to sell enough to cover the development costs. Hell, if we ran an article using this same logic right when the first two Volts were sold, we could have had an awesome head line that read "GM Loses $500 Million Dollars For Every Volt Sold." Which would have been a terrific headline. Oh, I'm kicking myself now!"

GM Isn't Really Losing All That Cash With Each Volt

Old 09-29-2014, 04:16 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
How does recharge time affect manufacturer profitability?

Regardless, as has been mentioned here, recharging an EV is just a different experience than going to the gas station. It's no different than plugging in your cell phone to charge before you go to bed. You even don't have to make a stop on your way home or on your way to work to refuel. Just pull into your garage and plug in. Wake up to a "full tank" every day.
For many people the expectation is that refueling once a week is more convenient than having to refuel everyday.

As a LEAF owner, I find it to be the exact opposite. Imagine you had a cell phone battery that could last a week and could completely recharge in 5 minutes, but you could only charge that cell phone at a Sprint/T-mobile/AT&T store. I think that's LESS convenient than a cell phone battery that lasts one or two days, but you can plug it in at home at the end of the day.

For us, it's even more convenient as both my workplace and my wife's workplace provide free charging. In LA, you often have to pay for parking anyway, but more and more places (like the Natural History Museum of LA, which we went to this past weekend) have EV charging stations at no extra charge. EV ownership is already practical for us, and as the charging technology and infrastructure develops, owning an EV is only going to get even more convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive