Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2014, 04:57 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,066,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Nothing is rigged.
How naïve. BTW, I did economics at degree level. We do not have a free market. You cannot with few corporations controlling the lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 06:16 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Well, electric vehicles have been around since some time in the 1800's. Many advance have made EVs much better vehicles.

But the fact is, until you can make an EV that can reliable run at distances similar to
ICE-vehicles....and can be charged in a similar amount of time that you can refuel an ICE-vehicle, expect EV's to be relegated to being mainly niche-vehicles.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:45 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well, electric vehicles have been around since some time in the 1800's. Many advance have made EVs much better vehicles.

But the fact is, until you can make an EV that can reliable run at distances similar to
ICE-vehicles....and can be charged in a similar amount of time that you can refuel an ICE-vehicle, expect EV's to be relegated to being mainly niche-vehicles.
Or the price of gasoline goes up.

Gas is a pretty terrific battery. Inexpensive, easily transported, very high energy density. Now, in 50 years? I suspect gas may be very expensive in 50 years.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:46 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Or the price of gasoline goes up.

Gas is a pretty terrific battery. Inexpensive, easily transported, very high energy density. Now, in 50 years? I suspect gas may be very expensive in 50 years.
In 50 years we will probably have compact photocells in our yards that power our homes and our cars. I'm not saying that technology will not offer us a bright future, only that electric car technology today is not ready for prime time.

Parenthetically, if the social engineers really wanted that to happen, they'd favor true laissez-faire free market capitalism. It's the quickest way from point A to point B when progress is the desired destination.

The staggering wealth that is possible to the companies/individuals who advance battery technology to the next level will dwarf anything we've ever seen. You want an electric car that blows away ICE cars? Then get the hell out of the way and leave it those who seek to get rich off of it. Greedy individuals and corporations. Like Tesla.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
How naïve. BTW, I did economics at degree level. We do not have a free market. You cannot with few corporations controlling the lot.
Actually, you have just proven two things with that statement. One: you know little or nothing about economics, and two: you have definitely been thoroughly schooled in economics at a major and well-regarded university.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:18 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
Get away from the coast and other big city areas, and you will not see all those electric cars. Reason: We drive too far for them to be practical.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
That is fine and you should drive whatever you choose and can afford to buy. But leave others the same freedom. Don't tell others what to do or how to live.
Yes we should tell others how to live especially when they pollute the air, create noise pollution and deplete finite natural resources. Those who pollute should pay us. Gasoline should be taxed more and the proceeds given to promote clean transport and that includes urban mass-transit. EV and hybrid users do not harm us.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Yes we should tell others how to live especially when they pollute the air, create noise pollution and deplete finite natural resources. Those who pollute should pay us. Gasoline should be taxed more and the proceeds given to promote clean transport and that includes urban mass-transit. EV and hybrid users do not harm us.
You are so completely wrong, but I presume you were educated in GB, a highly socialized and collectivised country, so I guess it's to be expected.

As for pollution, it is perfectly acceptable in moderation. I don't want a "clean" planet without progress. A skyline is superior to a mountain range. As for natural resources, they are there to be exploited by whoever thinks of uses for them and buys the land or water in which they are located. Natural resources are not commonly owned or to be controlled or distributed by "Society". They are private property.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 09-28-2014 at 08:00 AM..

Old 09-28-2014, 08:27 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,299,513 times
Quote:
You are so completely wrong, but I presume you were educated in GB, a highly socialized and collectivised country, so I guess it's to be expected.

As for pollution, it is perfectly acceptable in moderation. I don't want a "clean" planet without progress. A skyline is superior to a mountain range. As for natural resources, they are there to be exploited by whoever thinks of uses for them and buys the land or water in which they are located. Natural resources are not commonly owned or to be controlled or distributed by "Society". They are private property.
Actually, it is you that is completely wrong. Killing off mankind is not justification for profits. This is a silly argument that fails to see the entire picture. Starting with the Donora Smog of 1948 Eisenhower signed the first legislation for clean air.
1948 Donora smog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
However, here in America we've taken action along with the EU, but that action didn't stop corporations from moving to countries that allow them to pollute. Your perception of a clean atmosphere is merely a perception. China, and others now experience more pollution than LA has ever seen. I live where the smoke plume from forest fires in CA goes right over, and it sucks to have to stay inside, or wear a respirator. Your ideal is a selfish one that fails a global concept, and one in which the rich get their way in America at global citizens expense.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
You are politically brainwashed. So you live in a country area.
Quote:
As for pollution, it is perfectly acceptable in moderation.
What we have now is destroying the planet and millions of lungs. It is NOT acceptable at all.

< snip the rest as it is drivel >
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive