Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 05:55 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,296,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I have one commuter and 2 track cars. Not only are not all people in a multi-car family, not all people live with a family.
No, but 60% of households have 2 or more cars already. And since there are 2000 million drivers in the US (80% of which drive less than 30 miles a day) then there's still a huge market for EVs. Should we say your race cars are stupid because they don't work as commuters for most people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 06:24 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,298,352 times
Elon is shooting for a 500 mile range from the Tesla 3. The less dependent we become on foreign oil the less funded Islamic terrorists will receive. It will also put Americans to work in a new industry and take some of the power and influence big oil has in our politics.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:42 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
I don´t think anyone is saying that an EV makes sense in all situations and it makes no sense to dismiss the EV as a whole just because it does not fit your usage.
Exactly. I am amazed by the logic of some posters here.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justniz View Post
Can we please finally end the myth that most Americans cling on to, even against all actual evidence, that hybrids do or are even meant to save money by using less gas?
That is REALLY not their whole point.
The actual point of hybrids is to save the environment no matter even if it costs you extra $ to do so. And it does. They are expressly NOT meant to, or ever going to, reduce the overall cost of driving on your wallet, especially assuming US gas prices won't go up much. Which they won't not least because of all the large new oil fields under the US that fracking has opened up.

If you just want cheap motoring its much better to go get a cheap small (gas only) car than a hybrid:
E.g. Toyota Yaris. $15k new. 37 mpg (Also included is no waiting around to recharge it or battery range anxiety).
Now compare that to a Toyota Prius which is $25-30k new and gets around 45 mpg depending on who you believe. Thats only 7 mpg more.
Lets just totally ignore all the extra financing costs, insurance, taxes etc for buying/owning a more expensive car, and even assuming gas is $4/gallon (its currently $3.70 here) the purchase price difference alone would buy you 3750 gallons of gas.
That means you're actually only starting to save money by buying the Prius instead of the Yaris after 168,750 miles (About 14 years on average) of motoring.
But wait, even thats not true because by that time, your Prius would also have needed at least one new battery so now add another $3.5k -7k to save on gas before you actually start to save by driving a Prius.... Which will take you another 4 years minimum and maybe yet another battery, so possibly another 3.5k to make up. You're basically upto at least 22 years and 264k miles on your unfeasibly long-lived Prius before you even come close to saving money over driving a small efficient gas-only car.
....So please lets finally kill this stupid myth going around the US at least, that driving a hybrid saves you money.
Get a moped and save even more!

This is a dumb comparison. The two cars aren't really comparable.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Then get a hybrid with a range extender. The best of both. Simple.
See, I won't even suggest that. Not everyone is a good EV candidate. But those people need to recognize that their driving needs aren't universal and stop trumpeting silly EV opinions.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:

There is no "planning accordingly" that fixes that. If you are going to drive 90 miles in a day, and your car has a 68 mile range, there is NO planning that fixes that.

I don't have a problem with electric cars, I like the idea once they iron out these kinks... what annoys me are the people who tell me that the problem is I just don't know how to plan. If I had an electric car, and I acted like your friends, I would be renting a petrol car half the days of the month. (I wouldn't own a Model S with a range of 265 miles, I can't spend that much money on a commuter. I much more likely would have a Fiat 500c electric or a Focus electric with a range of around 80 miles.. not enough.)

I am not going to spend 25-30k dollars on a car just to leave it parked and rent an ICE car half of the days I drive.
Well your planning = don't buy an EV. See how simple?

For many, many others, an EV is a legitimate choice.

Your range needs are not everyone's! See how simple?

Old 09-30-2014, 06:52 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Elon is shooting for a 500 mile range from the Tesla 3. The less dependent we become on foreign oil the less funded Islamic terrorists will receive. It will also put Americans to work in a new industry and take some of the power and influence big oil has in our politics.
We don't depend upon foreign oil for transportation. Because of fracking the USA is now exporting refined gasoline.

On the other hand we do absolutely depend upon foreign oil being bought & sold in USD. i.e. the Petrodollar, reserve currency, we go to war whenever that's threatened. Why? Because we can force our debt onto the rest of the world. It's been this way since 1973.

Unless Musk can produce a 500 mile range electric car and ALSO one that the masses can afford, his playing around with putting car phone batteries in cars remains a science experiment. It won't change anything.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:38 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
I don´t think anyone is saying that an EV makes sense in all situations and it makes no sense to dismiss the EV as a whole just because it does not fit your usage.
No, people are saying I should have an EV and just plan my life around it.

Quote:
My God. Three cars?
Yeah, but only one that is road legal. Two are track only vehicles.

Quote:
Then get a hybrid with a range extender. The best of both. Simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIN7Vc9rmaA

Like the Prius? Where the nickel for the batteries is smelted in facilities called "super stacks" because of the immense amount of pollution they put out, then sent via oil burning ship to Norway to be refined, then shipped via oil burning ship to China to become "nickel foam" then shipped via oil burning ship to Japan to be made into a Prius, then shipped via oil burning ship to countries like the U.S. and the U.K. to be bought by morons who are better at being self-righteous than crunching numbers?

Each Prius consumes the equivalent of 1,000 gallons of fuel before its odometer clicks to 1

Old 09-30-2014, 07:48 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
No, but 60% of households have 2 or more cars already. And since there are 2000 million drivers in the US (80% of which drive less than 30 miles a day) then there's still a huge market for EVs. Should we say your race cars are stupid because they don't work as commuters for most people?

Yeah, and I simply said that the short range and recharge time don't work for me.

I NEVER said electric cars are stupid. YOU made that up. I said I LIKE the idea, but it isn't practical for everyone. This is the problem with you proponents of EV's... you are too sensetive.

I said I like the idea but I need a shorter charge time and greater range before it is practical for everyone... you took that as "electric cars are stupid".

Yeah 60% of households own two or more cars... that means nearly half of people don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Exactly. I am amazed by the logic of some posters here.

Except that some users insist that I should be using an EV or Hybrid, no matter my requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Well your planning = don't buy an EV. See how simple?

For many, many others, an EV is a legitimate choice.

Your range needs are not everyone's! See how simple?

Duh, can you not read? I said I like the idea, but they are not practical for me. Then posters made claims like I just don't know how to plan around the downfalls of EV's.

I NEVER SAID THEY ARE A BAD IDEA FOR EVERYONE.

I might buy one once the technology catches up with my needs, but i am not going to change my job, and my life to suit these EV fanatics with a "You are either with us or against us" attitude.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:50 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,298,352 times
Quote:
No, people are saying I should have an EV and just plan my life around it.
can you cite a source where someone has suggested mandate only EV? Otherwise, all your claims are completely invalid. Batteries can be recycled unlike our atmosphere.
Quote:

Yeah, but only one that is road legal. Two are track only vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIN7Vc9rmaA

Like the Prius? Where the nickel for the batteries is smelted in facilities called "super stacks" because of the immense amount of pollution they put out, then sent via oil burning ship to Norway to be refined, then shipped via oil burning ship to China to become "nickel foam" then shipped via oil burning ship to Japan to be made into a Prius, then shipped via oil burning ship to countries like the U.S. and the U.K. to be bought by morons who are better at being self-righteous than crunching numbers?

Each Prius consumes the equivalent of 1,000 gallons of fuel before its odometer clicks to 1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive