Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 10:36 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times

Advertisements

What if that rare metals are plentiful and does not require destroying the earth to do so? Well, there are funding for space exploration such as mining asteroids being planned. Scientists are estimating that such space mining program may cost a few billions but the rewards for mining an asteroid may yield over a 1 trillion $ worth of rare precious metals that are rarer on earth but plentiful in space on asteroids.

I don't think there's oil on asteroids but there are plenty of minerals and it is sustainable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 10:38 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
What if that rare metals are plentiful and does not require destroying the earth to do so? Well, there are funding for space exploration such as mining asteroids being planned. Scientists are estimating that such space mining program may cost a few billions but the rewards for mining an asteroid may yield over a 1 trillion $ worth of rare precious metals that are rarer on earth but plentiful in space on asteroids.

I don't think there's oil on asteroids but there are plenty of minerals.
If they do mine rare Earth metals from extraterrestrial sources then those same minerals will longer be so precious. The economy of metals would tank, a larger supply and less demand.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:39 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Sorry but I still don't see a mad rush of companies putting up solar energy panels. And EV will never replace the gasoline engine in my or my grandchildren lifetime either. I would like to see a 4x4 electric pickup truck plow a parking lot during a snow storm. It can't but a gas 4x4 can pull your EV out of a ditch or tow it to the house to charge the battery.
I don't know where you are, but in southern California you'll see a rush of companies installing solar panels. Pretty much every new construction that I've seen in my area has solar.

Electric motors also have a ton of torque, which is why you'll see them in the propulsion systems for locomotives, subways and regional rail, submarines and aircraft carriers.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:00 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,129,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I don't know where you are, but in southern California you'll see a rush of companies installing solar panels. Pretty much every new construction that I've seen in my area has solar.

Electric motors also have a ton of torque, which is why you'll see them in the propulsion systems for locomotives, subways and regional rail, submarines and aircraft carriers.
Yes in the west were its always sunny than you can have solar. What about in the northern climates were it gets down to -0 at times. Can solar provide enough power to heat a house all winter long? Can a EV car plow through the snow. We are using wind power somewhat but gas and oil will always be the #1 provider power, along ith coal abd natural gas. You in California have a far different climate than we do in the Midwest.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:16 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
Quote:
Yes in the west were its always sunny than you can have solar. What about in the northern climates were it gets down to -0 at times. Can solar provide enough power to heat a house all winter long? Can a EV car plow through the snow. We are using wind power somewhat but gas and oil will always be the #1 provider power, along ith coal abd natural gas. You in California have a far different climate than we do in the Midwest.
You seem to be one of those critics who believe that just because something doesn't work for you, it won't work for anyone. I was simply pointing out that there are places where solar and EVs already work for many people.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:41 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times
Quote:
If people believe solar is the wave of the future why did this company go bk. So much for comments about solar the wave of the future.
By this stupid logic, we should all still be riding around in a horse and buggy. Do you know how many car manufacturers went out of business when gasoline powered cars were first hitting the road? Let's just say it was a LOT more than 1.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:54 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Yes in the west were its always sunny than you can have solar. What about in the northern climates were it gets down to -0 at times.
Temperature has nothing to do with solar power.

Quote:
Can solar provide enough power to heat a house all winter long?
Yes. Power is power. Power is the rate of work. A solar power can absolutely provide enough power to power a home all winter long. The trick is battery storage (hopefully will be implemented on every home solar unit). Of course, that would make homes 100% independent of power companies and we can't have that.

Quote:
Can a EV car plow through the snow.
A Tesla model S has 416 hp and 443 ft-lb of torque. The ratings are dependent on how strong the battery is.

Quote:
We are using wind power somewhat but gas and oil will always be the #1 provider power, along ith coal abd natural gas. You in California have a far different climate than we do in the Midwest.
No, it won't. Oil is finite. Solar has about 5 billion years of energy left. As I said before, climate is irrelevant.

This is how solar power works: the only relevant variable is sunshine hours. Arizona has ~90% possible sunshine, with over 4,000 hours annually. The upper midwest is somewhere between 2,100-2,500 hours annually.

What does this mean? For easy math comparison, we will say Chicago gets 1/2 the sunshine as Phoenix. Does this mean Chicago can only generate 1/2 the power? Sort of... A solar building / home in Chicago will need twice as many photovoltaic cells to generate the same amount of total energy as Phoenix. Photovoltaic cells are just a function of surface area. Therefore, if your home in Phoenix can be powered on half the roof, it would need a full roof in Chicago. The power output will be the same, but you will get more bang for your buck out west.

Yes, Solar is viable anywhere in this country.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:17 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Temperature has nothing to do with solar power.

Yes. Power is power. Power is the rate of work. A solar power can absolutely provide enough power to power a home all winter long. The trick is battery storage (hopefully will be implemented on every home solar unit). Of course, that would make homes 100% independent of power companies and we can't have that.

A Tesla model S has 416 hp and 443 ft-lb of torque. The ratings are dependent on how strong the battery is.

No, it won't. Oil is finite. Solar has about 5 billion years of energy left. As I said before, climate is irrelevant.

This is how solar power works: the only relevant variable is sunshine hours. Arizona has ~90% possible sunshine, with over 4,000 hours annually. The upper midwest is somewhere between 2,100-2,500 hours annually.

What does this mean? For easy math comparison, we will say Chicago gets 1/2 the sunshine as Phoenix. Does this mean Chicago can only generate 1/2 the power? Sort of... A solar building / home in Chicago will need twice as many photovoltaic cells to generate the same amount of total energy as Phoenix. Photovoltaic cells are just a function of surface area. Therefore, if your home in Phoenix can be powered on half the roof, it would need a full roof in Chicago. The power output will be the same, but you will get more bang for your buck out west.

Yes, Solar is viable anywhere in this country.
Good points, but I'll even go so far as to say solar doesn't even have to be viable everywhere. Too many people will dismiss solar entirely because it doesn't work in their corner of the world.

In my estimation, it's still very valuable to have areas with, say, 75% sunshine be deeply invested in solar while other areas below that threshold are not. Kind of like the "deal locally" theory. By the same logic, I would hope that areas with huge tides like Bay of Fundy and some other areas invest in tidal power generation, and windy areas invest in wind power, etc. So if some parts of the country still use fossil fuels? So what...for now.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:44 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Good points, but I'll even go so far as to say solar doesn't even have to be viable everywhere. Too many people will dismiss solar entirely because it doesn't work in their corner of the world.

In my estimation, it's still very valuable to have areas with, say, 75% sunshine be deeply invested in solar while other areas below that threshold are not. Kind of like the "deal locally" theory. By the same logic, I would hope that areas with huge tides like Bay of Fundy and some other areas invest in tidal power generation, and windy areas invest in wind power, etc. So if some parts of the country still use fossil fuels? So what...for now.
The best is the upcoming technology called solar roadways. It was calculated that if the United States replaced all roads with solar panel roadways, it would provide enough solar power for the entire country three times over. The panels could also be used to melt snow on their surface.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:12 PM

10 posts, read 8,353 times
I'd like to see how your landlord explains the tax subsidies for oil companies. $8 Billion in direct Tax Credits + $100 Billion in tax subsidies. That sure sounds like we're paying extra for oil.

That doesn't factor in the health costs of Asthma, breathing problems, birth defects, and cancers surrounding highways and roadways - because of the residue of fuels burned on the roadways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive