Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 07:49 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,897,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
If you're in the US and want to see where your electricity comes from, you should check out the EPA profiler. You just need your zip code and utility company:
How clean is the electricity I use? - Power Profiler | Clean Energy | US EPA

A lot of the country still uses coal, but I think that will change. Here are my stats:

Non-hydro Renewables (solar, wind, etc): 10.4%
Hydro: 15.2%
Nuclear: 15.2%
Oil: 1.2%
Gas: 50.4%
Coal: 7.1%

We get more than 3x as much of our electricity from renewable sources than we get from coal.

You are most likely in the west with that much hydro. The problem there is humans have flocked to that coast in such numbers they have put great stress on the river systems out there and rivers is where you get your water for hydro and unless you are talking about a dam a lot of the water is being diverted from it's former path.

Your grid encompasses several states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 08:40 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,128,554 times
Bottom line is that electric cars will not fly in snow country remember cold weather and batteries don't mix. Also electric cars do not have the ability to drive through a heavy snow. Sorry but they just don't have the torque to pull them through a heavy snow. Also you cannot take your electric car to just any repair shop. And what is battery replacement cost?. The leaf is over $5,000. I can buy a used car for that price. Or buy a lot of gasoline.
GM tried a electric car back in the late 80's or 90's, it was a flop. So electric cars are nothing new. Right now GM looses money on every volt they make.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:46 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
His "reply" is correct, but I would not consider enthusiast to be liberal con men. Much of the electricity comes from coal, though here it's much cleaner hydro power. Also, the manufacturing process for the batteries is not the least bit green, and the cost of the electric vehicle especially the trendy Tesla means a long payback from gas savings. When/if the cost of solar collectors for the homeowner become low enough the electric vehicle becomes more green, affordable, and practical. Many states are below $3/gallon now, so electric vehicle sales will drop off until it gets back up close to $4 again.
And...if millions of peeps were sucking juice out of the electrical grid...Q.Do you think rates would remain as they are now?...A. Not in your life...they would spike like the upward rail on a roller coaster.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:58 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,135,360 times
I am more conservative than Barry Goldwater, and I want a Nissan Leaf more than any other car. Economics make them VERY attractive.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:05 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Here, I've added a few edits to your comment to make it more accurate.

That's fine. But what I really don't get is why so many people, like you, keep presenting their own personal preferences and choices as if they were speaking about a consensus for everyone. There are probably 50 different niches that cars fall into, maybe more, yet very many people talk as if the the particular niche that fits THEM is just IT, and pretty much the way everybody drives, right?

I was referring to reality. There is only 1 reality for everyone. And in that reality, we have gasoline powered vehicles which remain the smarter and more economical choice in today's world. At some point, electric vehicles may surpass the ICE car in terms of total cost of ownership and driving experience. That day is not today, and won't exist for about 20 years, if ever.

I understand you are pushing an agenda and that is fine. But reality doesn't care about political opinions. It just is.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:01 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,393,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc63 View Post
no it isn't!@!!! Didn't you read what we posted directly above you??????? The mining process is evaporation ponds of salt water!!! Read it and learn it!

F*ck! The ignorance in here is astounding!
What about the copper and aluminum? Can you evaporate them from salt water?

Old 09-27-2014, 12:34 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,066,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
The bottom line is that today, electric cars are not efficient or economical when compared with gas powered cars.
You need to read up and understand a hell of a lot more. Just about 100% of what you wrote was plain wrong.

USB in Switzerland predict that battery prices will drop 50% in 6 years and all will be electric:
"The expected 50% reduction in the cost of batteries by 2020 will not just spur electric car sales, but could also lead to exponential growth in demand for stationary batteries to store excess power in buildings, says UBS. “Battery storage should become financially attractive for family homes when combined with a solar system and an electric vehicle. As a consequence, we expect transformational changes in the utility and auto sectors,”"

Big power out, solar in: UBS urges investors to join renewables revolution | Environment | theguardian.com

There you go.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Also electric cars do not have the ability to drive through a heavy snow. Sorry but they just don't have the torque to pull them through a heavy snow.
The ignorance here is astounding. Electric motors have maximum torque at zero revs. Two small electric motors incorporated in the wheel hubs can power a car brilliantly. Electric motors do not need gearboxes. The piston ICE, that has pistons violently changing direction, is so poor at delivering torque that it needs heavy, complex, bulky, power sapping transmissions in order to operate. In an ICE car 85-90% of the energy in the tank is wasted. They are highly inefficient that waste the world's valuable and finite resources and pollute heavily in the process. The ICE has to be replaced ASAP for a multitude of reasons. We have the technology to replace them right now, it is just applying that technology. Vested interests are holding it back.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
And in that reality, we have gasoline powered vehicles which remain the smarter and more economical choice in today's world.
Not where I live. London has a pollution/congestion charge to enter the city centre. If you pollute our air, you pay. EVs and most hybrids are exempt. They are given free parking. They do not pay the national road tax. They are cost effective and all around me there are on street charging bays. They pay for themselves in a about 3 years. Wise people buy clean and quiet EVs and hybrids. Not only that, they are brilliant to drive with seamless transmissions - eerily quiet.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:13 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,631,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
We do have about 5 billion years of sun left, if I recall.
Assuming we maintain the current rate of consumption, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive