Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2016, 04:16 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually here in america, we would prefer station wagon to SUVs, but since our government has decided that cars are easy targets emissions wise, and that trucks have softer standards, the SUV was born to replace the station wagon. had the government any sense, SUVs would not be around, and the station wagon would still be king of the people movers.
As someone else asked, "we who?"

Also, I think your automotive history is missing a few steps. Station wagons started disappearing once minivans took off. Subsequently, minivans started falling out of favor once SUVs got popular. Then after that, CUVs have been taking over what was once SUV territory.

Not a single one of these bodystyles rebounded once they were effectively replaced in the marketplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 04:19 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
SUVs were a niche vehicle until the mid 80s, sure they existed but they weren't refined and something that would be seen as daily driver material. GOV regulations choked out wagons and automakers responded by civilizing SUVs and making minivans.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Not all of us would prefer station wagons. Personally, I never liked station wagons as I always liked the more truck like style, height and seating position of the SUV's. Believe it or not, SUV's had been around since the early days of station wagon's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
Who is this we? I've never come across anyone in my life that prefers a station wagon over anything, let alone an suv. Let's hope the GOV does less, not more.
station wagons were the king of people movers until the 80s, by that time government regs had choked them like they did the sedans they were based on. and since minivans didnt have the same choking regs that station wagons did, people started buying them. and sure SUVs have been around for decades, but again they didnt really take off until the station wagon started dying off.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:55 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
What do you actually like about them though? They're not cheap, they don't handle that well, they aren't fuel efficient, they aren't agile, etc etc etc. Outside of towing and frequent hauling of things that wouldn't fit in an CUV/SUV, I don't get the love for suburban Americans.
Are you an American?

Old 02-15-2016, 03:40 PM

278 posts, read 467,720 times
As I recall people preferred minivans to station wagons. It wasn't the government's idea, it was consumer preference for more space, captain's chairs in the back and big sliding doors.

As far as the European preference for smaller hatchbacks and wagons, I believe this comes down to the fact that they live in more densely populated cities that are harder to navigate and park in. And, European drivers pay more than double our prices for gas.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:48 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtta View Post
As I recall people preferred minivans to station wagons. It wasn't the government's idea, it was consumer preference for more space, captain's chairs in the back and big sliding doors.

As far as the European preference for smaller hatchbacks and wagons, I believe this comes down to the fact that they live in more densely populated cities that are harder to navigate and park in. And, European drivers pay more than double our prices for gas.
I do not think European car ownership levels are close to the United States?

Old 02-15-2016, 05:07 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Last night i responded to an add for free metal shelving that was 6 foot tall and 5 foot wide. Loaded it right in my chevy tahoe no problem. Another reason why i love my tahoe. It's not a pickup truck but still built on a truck frame. If i had a car i wouldn't be able to get it unless i disassembled the whole thing.

I have moved so much stuff in it and towed heavy equipment and even pulled out stuck cars out of the snow. SUVs (real ones) and pickup trucks are so versatile a car can only haul people and groceries.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:18 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,251,233 times
And when the truck gets stuck in snow get a Subaru to pull you out. Heh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcUxjduFpH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyLJZ6Zi2Lk

Old 02-15-2016, 05:28 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
And when the truck gets stuck in snow get a Subaru to pull you out. Heh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcUxjduFpH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyLJZ6Zi2Lk
I never got stuck in snow in my Tahoe the 4x4 is awesome. My rear tires are actually low on tread and need to be replaced but my front tires are really good. I almost got stuck once and hit that 4x4 button and moved on with ease like the snow never existed.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:31 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
What do you actually like about them though? They're not cheap, they don't handle that well, they aren't fuel efficient, they aren't agile, etc etc etc. Outside of towing and frequent hauling of things that wouldn't fit in an CUV/SUV, I don't get the love for suburban Americans.

Cheap- For what they offer, they are cheap. Large spacious cabin, V8 engine, solid feel, lots of storage, leather, and all the luxury features. If you want that in a sedan, you basically have to have an S-Class Mercedes. Heck, even compared to a Tahoe/Suburban, a loaded up crew cab truck is still significantly cheaper.

Fuel Efficient- For what they are, today's crop of 1500 trucks are VERY efficient. In the real world, you're not going to see a difference between one of those, a midsize or fullsize Crossover/SUV, a minivan, a large sedan, or a sports car.

Agile- this doesn't matter to most people, it just isn't applicable. In the US most of our driving is highway or city. It doesn't make sense to compromise a smooth and comfortable ride for a marginal increase in handling that is going to be useful 1% of the time.

With the current trends in trucks (crew cab, loaded, leather, etc) it isn't that people just love the TRUCKS, they love what the trucks offer. There is a certain segment of the population that will always buy trucks, but they're popular now with the mainstream because they offer a large, comfortable, smooth, spacious, powerful vehicle for not an insane amount of money. This used to be the domain of the full-size sedan, but thanks to the US Federal Government it is no longer the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive