Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 11:11 AM

686 posts, read 721,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.Kev View Post
So on Friday at 2:55 I got pulled over by an officer of Fairfax city. He used the radar to determine I was going 77 mph in a 35mph zone, this is my first time pulled over. I've had my license for almost 3 years now if not already. My record is clean and I have plus 3 points. I'm 20 years old. I've been freaking out and feel like crying. I know I messed up. Being completely honest with you guys I didn't realize I was going that fast. I know it sounds stupid but I'm telling you guys the truth. I work full time and go to school on Tuesday and Thursday after work. I have never had any problems with the law. What do you guys think the court will do to me for the reckless driving ticket with the things I've told you.

Thank you for your time

Boy, after reading the responses to your thread....YOU ARE GOING TO BE CRYING!
A reality check (which has been given by well meaning folks) is hard to swallow, but it looks like its needed in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 11:14 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,227,767 times
OP, don't sweat it too bad. Hire a lawyer to represent you, I would expect to be out of pocket $600-800 for this whole debacle. If you're going to speed, keep it on the highways, <40mph zones generally means there is a good chance you will encounter a human being walking/running/biking on or near the roadway. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:18 AM

10,101 posts, read 6,441,828 times
I stand corrected on the points issue - it's certainly something I never encountered because I've never had a driving infraction. On the other hand, I still think the OP's license needs to be temporarily suspended.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:27 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times
Get a a lawyer to help defend yourself and minimize the damage. Thats all you CAN do at this point, other than slow down! Oh and be glad it was not worse. Locally they just convicted someone to a long prison term for aggravated vehicular manslaughter when they struck an oncoming car and killed the driver... the person was doing over 70 in a 30 and lost control.

I am not sure I understand how you did not realize you were doing 77 in a 35. Things fly by pretty fast at 77.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:50 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Up here in Ontario you would have had to deal with this =
http://blackburnnews.com/wp-content/...6/too-fast.jpg

Doing 45mph over the speed limit is definitely going to end up teaching you the difference between 35mph and 77mph.
And maybe a trip to Canada's Worst Driver. Love that show. Too bad I can only watch it on YouTube.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:57 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,505,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
LOL What kind of car were you driving OP?

If you didn't notice you were going 77 in a 35, you must have been driving a Porsche 911 turbo, or a Mercedes S550/E550, BMW M5, or any high powered luxury sport car/sedan.

If you come back and say you were driving a Toyota anything, no one is going to take you seriously and you REALLY need to have the book thrown at you for being so clueless.

What a dumb post from a "supposedly" reasonable poster

Basically if you drive what this poster drives then it's alright to go 77 in 35 otherwise not.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:04 PM

830 posts, read 1,020,408 times
It's simple basically. Get an attorney.

The amount over is pretty egregious, and at 2:55 am or pm, big difference? Are you a Virginia resident? Was your mind on something traumatic like a death in the family, for instance? I'm just saying, it's pretty hard to do 70+ and not notice when you are on a in-town road. The judge is going to make it clear that you messed up big, but also isn't going to want to ruin your life over it - You said you are a student? Do yourself a favor and enroll in some preemptive driver's ed, listen to what your attorney recommends, and relish in the fact that you haven't gotten anything on your record before. You'll probably be okay, but it is going to be expensive.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:04 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
OP, don't sweat it too bad. Hire a lawyer to represent you, I would expect to be out of pocket $600-800 for this whole debacle. If you're going to speed, keep it on the highways, <40mph zones generally means there is a good chance you will encounter a human being walking/running/biking on or near the roadway. Good luck.
You can't be serious. $2K to $3K for the lawyer in a high cost metro-DC suburban area. $500+ for the fine. Another $250 for court costs. Probably a $100 license reinstatement fee. Easily $1,000/year in jacked up insurance premiums for a half-dozen years. Most places, figure a DUI or reckless driving citation ends up costing $10,000. A really good lawyer well connected with the prosecutor might be able to get the charge reduced for a first offense. That would knock the total costs down considerably; mostly from less hit to insurance. If that isn't negotiated ahead of the court date, it's bound to be that enormous insurance hit and a license suspension.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:06 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.Kev View Post
So on Friday at 2:55 I got pulled over by an officer of Fairfax city. He used the radar to determine I was going 77 mph in a 35mph zone, this is my first time pulled over. I've had my license for almost 3 years now if not already. My record is clean and I have plus 3 points. I'm 20 years old. I've been freaking out and feel like crying. I know I messed up. Being completely honest with you guys I didn't realize I was going that fast. I know it sounds stupid but I'm telling you guys the truth. I work full time and go to school on Tuesday and Thursday after work. I have never had any problems with the law. What do you guys think the court will do to me for the reckless driving ticket with the things I've told you.

Thank you for your time
After reading some of the responses, I agree with "Get a lawyer, pay them as they can minimize the damage"....From the sounds of it, the fines are NASTY>.............

Old 03-08-2016, 12:18 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Up here in Ontario you would have had to deal with this =
http://blackburnnews.com/wp-content/...6/too-fast.jpg

Doing 45mph over the speed limit is definitely going to end up teaching you the difference between 35mph and 77mph.

For those who don't know, 50 KPH = 30 MPH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive