Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2017, 08:42 AM

364 posts, read 637,015 times

Advertisements

The Great thing about America is we can decide based on cost, wants, needs, etc what to buy and who is to say that we don't "need it". I Dread the day the government would restrict, house, phone, car, computer based on what we "need" that is taking away free choice and what makes America so great!

Who are we to judge others really...grant it I have a truck and use it regularly not just for daily commute, also have a corolla and a challenger in our family. As our family is growing we may consider a minivan...time will tell anyways...

Old 05-10-2017, 08:51 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,402,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
I think that's one of the most stupid buys ever, just to buy a truck when you are never going to haul or tow with it. But if you use the flatbed for the deer you just killed, that's ok. If you're just buying a Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 to look good and not use it, I guess that's your style but man is that a waste of @#$%

So why else would you have a truck if you don't use it for the reasons stated?

Back when I didn't know much about trucks, I was really shocked that the Ford F150 was America's best selling vehicle! Is that because many people live in situations like rural America [e.g. KY] where it's better to have a 4x4 truck?
Ford builds a lot of versions of the F150 truck. Not all are 4x4 trucks. Most I would say are 2x4 trucks. One of their best sellers is the 4 door with the shorter bed. It is an awesome looking truck. With a lack of big cars to put things in these 4 door trucks have become the family car of the day. You can put your family in there, with many versions holding three people in both the front and back seat. You can put your toys, bags, what ever you want in the back. Not exactly built for hauling building supplies or that deer that you just shot. Who wants to haul those kinds of things in a very nice truck anyway. These are for hauling the family around in. If you want to pull a boat or camping trailer you are good to go.

The average truck seems to last much longer than the average car. Full size trucks seem to be kept longer in the family as well, meaning that the cost is much less than if you were spending the money buying a BMW or other nice car.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:59 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,800,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
I think that's one of the most stupid buys ever, just to buy a truck when you are never going to haul or tow with it. But if you use the flatbed for the deer you just killed, that's ok. If you're just buying a Ford F150 Platinum 4x4 to look good and not use it, I guess that's your style but man is that a waste of @#$%
I totally agree. When I lived in NM and Colorado I had a 4x4 truck because I liked to go out the mountains on forest roads and I also had a boat to tow. The old mid-80s single-cab F150 4x4 I had in Grand Junction Colorado was the best-handling vehicle on snow that I'd ever had. Looked a mess but handled great.

I brought a 4x4 truck with me when I moved to Silicon Valley, thinking I would use it to go out to the Sierras. But after a couple years of not doing that, and of always trying to find parking and trying to make U-turns on city streets, I got rid of it and replaced it with a small sedan which is ideally suited to commuting around here. I'm a firm believer in utility and getting what's suitable for the task at hand.

I also don't see the point of getting a two-wheel drive truck. If I get a truck, it's gotta be 4x4. Maybe that's based on my experiences growing up in snowy/mountain conditions. I suppose if you never go on dirt and if you live in some flat place that never snows, then I guess a 2x4 truck would be okay.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:14 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,421,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post

I also don't see the point of getting a two-wheel drive truck. If I get a truck, it's gotta be 4x4. Maybe that's based on my experiences growing up in snowy/mountain conditions. I suppose if you never go on dirt and if you live in some flat place that never snows, then I guess a 2x4 truck would be okay.
I have a 2x4 here in my desert city. I regularly haul 4x8 sheets and 8-12' lumber from one urban location to another. No need for 4x4 there. I do drive a fair bit on mountainous dirt roads, but graded. I am not rock crawling, but going to trailheads. I agree that a 2x4 rear wheel drive is a pain in the snow.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:24 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,771,857 times
Wants vs needs. Buy whatever you want. I need a truck for work in the winter. I never call out for snow.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:35 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,770,942 times
Obviously in at least a nominally free society, the preferences of one group ought not to demean or impugn those of another. And just as obviously, in a wealthy and stable society, there’s no justified opprobrium towards indulgence in “wants” well beyond mere “needs”, be it with supposedly impractical vehicles, large houses, or luxuries of whatever sort.

However, to some extent the choices of others DO affect our own choices. Suppose for example that I really enjoyed bacon and ham, but lived in a society where the prevailing religion eschewed pork. I would be free to practice my own religion, and to disregard the prevailing one. I would be free to buy whatever pork products I liked – provided of course that I could find them. But I’d need to ferret out special stores, paying premium prices. The selection would be limited, the freshness questionable. From strictly personal considerations, assuming that this were a free and pluralistic society, it would be sensible for me to lobby against the eschewal of pork, promoting my pork-friendly beliefs and vehemently questioning the opposing beliefs. The more converts that I found, the better the bacon-selection at the local grocery store.

Likewise with trucks. I like 2-door coupes – popular in the 1970s, but now almost entirely phased out. Back in the day, it was standard expectation, that most 4-door sedans would also be available in a sleeker, 2-door version. The coupe market died out, largely in favor of trucks. With so many people making the free personal choice of buying a truck, my free personal choice in buying a coupe is diminished. Sure, there are still luxury coupes. But what if I want a “working man’s” coupe? Manufacturers aren’t going to build unpopular products, except at boutique-scale and for boutique-prices. So whereas I have no standing to disparage another person’s choice to buy a truck, in a way, his/her choice actually does reduce my own personal options.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:09 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,402,817 times
I love the images of these trucks

https://www.google.com/search?q=low+...w=1280&bih=918

I also love the images of these trucks

https://www.google.com/search?q=low+...r+truck+images

I don't see a problem with wanting a specific kind of truck. People can like or dislike all that they want. If you like them and have the ability to buy one that by all means. If you don't like them then don't buy one of them.

A truck does not have to be useful. You don't need a reason to own a truck. Preference is what it is all about.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:37 AM

1,065 posts, read 600,956 times
Pick-up trucks are useful for snowy environments, rough terrain, and for rural work but for a city gentleman, they compensate for his inadequacy.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:37 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,756,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Yes, you do.

Please elaborate.

What makes them "awesome"?
If you have to ask...

Old 05-10-2017, 10:38 AM

813 posts, read 603,233 times
Fortunately for truck owners, you don't get to decide how they spend their money.

Good luck, Rg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive