Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2018, 10:48 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Nonsense. Renting a truck or having stuff delivered is far, far less expensive than buying a $60K plus tank. You do know that HD rents trucks, right? If you live 50 miles from a big box home improvement center, you're about .0001% of the population. My advice? Move.

Also, having a farm vehicle as your only vehicle makes zero sense under ANY circumstance. Unless you're a farmer, of course.
I don’t need to move, I own a truck.

And if you think a 2wd Tundra is a “farm vehicle” you are extremely out of touch with reality. Farmers around here use diesel F-350s and Chevy 2500s. Besides, I never said my trucks (I have two) were my only vehicles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 11:12 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Owned a home for 7 years and did top to bottom renovations. Needed a truck maybe FOUR times in all 7 of those years. And a few of those times were actually picking up large furniture, not a home depot type run. A truck was always available to rent, for as long as we needed it.

Buying a truck, even a used one, would have been an enormous money sink for little to no use.

Owned a home for 17 years and used trucks often, and found other things to do, like RVing with them, and dump runs, and, well the list is pretty much endless. I also have project cars and have towed some home, as well as getting car parts, both new and used. It's just when you HAVE one, you find them quite useful.

I mean, why bother having a washer and dryer at home when there are laundromats, right? Why have a bathroom, when you can just use the one at the local gas station? Just drive there and use it when you need to go. Same logic.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:20 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Love my SUV and my DH has a truck!

Old 04-12-2018, 11:33 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I have not read all the posts on this long thread. I have a GMC 2500 DuraMax Diesel for towing the camper. We also have a handicap ramp van. I have not owned an automobile since about 1986, but last August I bought a Subaru Forester for the gas mileage, comfort and the fact that I live in Northern Maine. The Forester is the most popular automobile model in Maine. That is not necessarily the most sold in some years, but of all car models registered in Maine, the Forester has more vehicles still registered by far. I spoke with a driver this week who has 340,000 miles on his and he expects to get over 400M from it.

OK, now I'll go back and read some of this extensive thread.
400M???!!!

Holy ****, Batman!!!!!

Does he expect every future generation of his family to be driving this Forester into perpetuity?

Old 04-12-2018, 11:34 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I mean, why bother having a washer and dryer at home when there are laundromats, right? Why have a bathroom, when you can just use the one at the local gas station? Just drive there and use it when you need to go. Same logic.
If you actually use a truck frequently and it makes sense to own one, more power to you. But it's certainly not a necessity, or even a convenience that wins a CBA, just because you own a home.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:35 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times
We're nowhere near the death of the sedan. We're nowhere near the death of any car design. Manufacturers follow market demand, which has been and always will be a fluid thing. Today, trucks are popular again because the economy has grown used to $2.50+ prices at the pump. 10 years ago, a V8 was seen as a first-class ticket to chapter 13. Now, adjustments in consumer mindsets have eased that. Now main street USA wants their over-the-top luxury truck, or so the manufacturers think. Great, buy that $80,000 pick up truck and then freak out when it gets dirty or scratched. That'll be fun to watch!

My boss bought a 4-door jeep wrangler. Put a minor lift on it and bigger tires. He's 60 years old. We live in Washington, DC. Only thing that has dirt on it around here is down along Constitution Avenue. It's always shiny, never dirty. But apparently for $50,000, it'll be the only vehicle possible to combat the zombie apocalypse. Me? I have a sedan and a sports car that happens to be a functional "hot hatch" as well. Perfect balance. I can fly like a baby Porsche, while having a new toilet from Home Depot in the back.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:46 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Owned a home for 17 years and used trucks often, and found other things to do, like RVing with them, and dump runs, and, well the list is pretty much endless. I also have project cars and have towed some home, as well as getting car parts, both new and used. It's just when you HAVE one, you find them quite useful.

The logic of your examples is very flawed because of its impracticality.

Obviously if an individual is utilizing a pickup even somewhat frequently to do the things you listed than its practicality justifies its purchase.

I believe jamiecta is talking about those who, by their own admissions may only have need for a pickup 3-4 times a year, if even that, when it would be far, far cheaper and more practical to rent a truck for that once-or-twice-a-year Home Depot run.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:14 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
The logic of your examples is very flawed because of its impracticality.

Obviously if an individual is utilizing a pickup even somewhat frequently to do the things you listed than its practicality justifies its purchase.

I believe jamiecta is talking about those who, by their own admissions may only have need for a pickup 3-4 times a year, if even that, when it would be far, far cheaper and more practical to rent a truck for that once-or-twice-a-year Home Depot run.
This is America we can buy what we want and pickups and SUVs are the vehicles of the future, like it or not Americans love their big trucks regardless of what others say.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:18 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,598 times
I think some people are missing the point.

Someone declared that you have to have a truck/SUV if you own a home. A few of us responded, no, it is not essential for every homeowner. That response has been twisted into "you shouldn't need a truck if you own a home". That is not the claim. It is merely that home ownership by itself does not determine whether or not you "need" a truck.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:29 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Quote:

Those last items are not really the same logic at all. The price point comparison and frequency of use scale is way, way out of scale compared to the discussion at hand.

And once again, I'm not saying that some people don't find trucks useful. But, give me a truck and im not going to be going on dump runs or RVing or anything else that you do. Those just aren't my things. If they were, I'd own a truck in the first place. Most people I know who own trucks are not RVing, off-roading, making dump runs, picking up mulch etc. on a regular basis. They're sitting in traffic on 635 between their desk job and their house.

It sounds like for you, the purchase was justified. I've never said the purchase doesn't make sense for some people, nor have I said that there is anything wrong with people spending their own money on a truck if they simply like driving a truck. Just pointing out that it is extremely easy to get by for easily 95%+ of homeowner's without ever owning a truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
I think some people are missing the point.

Someone declared that you have to have a truck/SUV if you own a home. A few of us responded, no, it is not essential for every homeowner. That response has been twisted into "you shouldn't need a truck if you own a home". That is not the claim. It is merely that home ownership by itself does not determine whether or not you "need" a truck.
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive