Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 02:15 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Are there any cars that nobody hates?
A grey, Pontiac GrandAm 4 door sedan, with no spoiler.

If any car deserved a license plate that was plain whit with black letters, that read "CAR", this is it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 02:20 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,541 times
For me it's BMWs. I know corellation isn't causation but, it still holds mathematically true for me that BMW drivers are a--holes.

When I see that circular, alternate blue and white checkered logo, I think, "...this muthaf---a gonna do somethin' stupid..." I have not been wrong in this regard yet.

I treat that logo like a caution symbol.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:11 PM

3,503 posts, read 2,666,638 times
I don’t hate or have ever hated large SUV or Pickup trucks. But I hate many of the aholes that drive them. Specially the jacked up trucks and the very expensive SUVs. They love to drive in the left lane only, and love to tailgate, wanting to push you down the road. So to all aholes that want to push me while I’m passing cars going 80, fine, my foot is coming off the accelerator.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:34 PM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
For me it's BMWs. I know corellation isn't causation but, it still holds mathematically true for me that BMW drivers are a--holes.

When I see that circular, alternate blue and white checkered logo, I think, "...this muthaf---a gonna do somethin' stupid..." I have not been wrong in this regard yet.

I treat that logo like a caution symbol.
I don't have a problem with BMW's because in my experience they like to drive fast. I don't like tiny cars like Prius because they crawl, especially from a stop.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:09 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Dude, yes, it's shorter and has a V-6, just like most of the F-150s that Ford sells today.

Nice try.
It still won’t overtake the F150 as the best selling pickup not in this country. That thing looks like a sport track and it’s not a body on frame it’s a unibody a Honda Ridgeline, all wheel drive it’s a suv not a pickup.

Last edited by easy62; 06-06-2018 at 04:22 PM..

Old 06-06-2018, 04:14 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Don't hate large SUVs or trucks.

But many of them are owned and operated by reckless asshats who don't care about anyone's safety on the road.

As one driver of a large truck said to me, "I don't care. My family is in a tank. Who cares about anyone else?"

I have a long commute on very heavily traveled roads. It is nearly ALWAYS the guys in these giant vehicles causing mayhem and wrecks.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Using your figure:

6,500 (pickups) x 365 (days in a year) = 2,372,500 trucks

Assuming half of those trucks are full-size (F-150s, Tacomas, Silverados, etc.): 1,186,250

The average price of a full-size trucks (after consumer incentives) at the end of 2016 was $32,444.

Source: https://www.trucks.com/2017/02/02/tr...motive-prices/

1,186,250 (pickups) x $32,444 = $38,486,695,000 (1 year of sales)

Wow, what a marketing scam.

"A fool and his money are soon parted".
Full-size pickups are everything to the Detroit Three automakers. Ford, GM and Ram sell such an obscene number of trucks that crunching the numbers leads to figures so staggering they’re difficult to believe.

Every day Ford sells an average of 2,452 F-Series trucks, significantly more than GM’s Silverado/Sierra combination of 1,935, and Ram’s 1,647. We’ve had three straight months of the Silverado losing to the Ram now, too, while the F-Series pulls away from everyone. Comparatively, the Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan move a mere 15,000 units a month combined, but that's still another 500 full-size pickups added to the total every day.

To break it down even further, Ford sells 102 trucks per hour, meaning an average of nearly two people are driving off the lot with a new F-150 every minute in the U.S., 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Comparatively, about 59 Silverados are sold per hour and 69 Rams in the same time. Both those numbers net the manufacturers about one truck a minute; keep in mind that, since dealerships aren't open in the middle of the night on Sundays, the actual numbers during business hours are even more dramatic.

Read more: How hot are pickups? Ford sells an F-series every 30 seconds, 24/7

Old 06-06-2018, 04:26 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I just bought a slightly used Toyota Prius C, and it's like a wee tiny station wagon (like the Honda Fit). This little miracle has impressive storage capacity (with the rear seat folded down) and since I purchased it, I'm getting 55-65 mpg.

I don't understand how people can afford to keep these SUVs that get 15-18 mpgs. I really don't.

If you need to haul something, then it's going to be worth your while to RENT a truck from time to time, rather than put $50 worth of gas in your SUV twice a week.

1.IMG_7007 V8 Seabiscuit Turbo by Rosethornil, on Flickr
We have 5 kids (7 people) we typically go places with 2-4 additional kids and or two giant dogs. That is four trips in your Prius. So the Prius needs to get 60 - 72 Mpg to match the SUV or van. Then of course you have to address the time wasted, traffic burden, wear on the tires, road and vehicle to make four trips.

Nope the SUV is way more efficient and way more green than that Prius, even if the SUV occasionally makes part of or an entire trip with only one person in it.

Your Prius would have had to make about 50 trips to haul the load of Rocks I brought home from Dad's house a while ago. And then you would need a new Prius. Plus you would take a month to move those rocks. Also way more inefficient than a pick up truck.

Everything has its place.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:52 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,108,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Full-size pickups are everything to the Detroit Three automakers. Ford, GM and Ram sell such an obscene number of trucks that crunching the numbers leads to figures so staggering they’re difficult to believe.

Every day Ford sells an average of 2,452 F-Series trucks, significantly more than GM’s Silverado/Sierra combination of 1,935, and Ram’s 1,647. We’ve had three straight months of the Silverado losing to the Ram now, too, while the F-Series pulls away from everyone. Comparatively, the Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan move a mere 15,000 units a month combined, but that's still another 500 full-size pickups added to the total every day.

To break it down even further, Ford sells 102 trucks per hour, meaning an average of nearly two people are driving off the lot with a new F-150 every minute in the U.S., 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Comparatively, about 59 Silverados are sold per hour and 69 Rams in the same time. Both those numbers net the manufacturers about one truck a minute; keep in mind that, since dealerships aren't open in the middle of the night on Sundays, the actual numbers during business hours are even more dramatic.

Read more: How hot are pickups? Ford sells an F-series every 30 seconds, 24/7
Judging by your tone, I get the impression you think this is something to celebrate.

I don't buy the "what's good for corporate America is good for the working and middle classes" nonsense and subsequently, I don't share your enthusiasm.

I don't think you'll feel the same way either when gas gets up to $5-6 a gallon and sales dramatically slow down and once again, (surprise, surprise) corporate America will come to the American taxpayer begging for a bailout.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Judging by your tone, I get the impression you think this is something to celebrate.

I don't buy the "what's good for corporate America is good for the working and middle classes" nonsense and subsequently, I don't share your enthusiasm.

I don't think you'll feel the same way either when gas gets up to $5-6 a gallon and sales dramatically slow down and once again, (surprise, surprise) corporate America will come to the American taxpayer begging for a bailout.
Yes it’s something to celebrate I live in metro Detroit so yes I’m a big3 enthusiast, and FYI today’s pickups and large SUVs get better mpg than years back. Hell GM is going to put a 4 cylinder in a pickup so you’re thinking just because gas is going up dosent mean doom and gloom for the pickups and large SUVs. If that were the case why is Ford concentrated on more SUVs and pickups and is dropping some sedans, along with Gm and Chrysler. You keep thinking in the past dude this is a whole new generation of greater mpg pickups and SUVs. And FYI Ford never got any bailout and if they did how did it effect you personally did the federal government take money out of your paycheck to pay for the bailout so how did the bailout of the automakers effect you personally. I think the same way the bailout of the big banks did also it didn’t effect you in any way what so ever. You can keep preaching about things you know nothing about have a great day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive