Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 08:03 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Full-size pickups are everything to the Detroit Three automakers. Ford, GM and Ram sell such an obscene number of trucks that crunching the numbers leads to figures so staggering they’re difficult to believe.

Every day Ford sells an average of 2,452 F-Series trucks, significantly more than GM’s Silverado/Sierra combination of 1,935, and Ram’s 1,647. We’ve had three straight months of the Silverado losing to the Ram now, too, while the F-Series pulls away from everyone. Comparatively, the Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan move a mere 15,000 units a month combined, but that's still another 500 full-size pickups added to the total every day.

To break it down even further, Ford sells 102 trucks per hour, meaning an average of nearly two people are driving off the lot with a new F-150 every minute in the U.S., 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Comparatively, about 59 Silverados are sold per hour and 69 Rams in the same time. Both those numbers net the manufacturers about one truck a minute; keep in mind that, since dealerships aren't open in the middle of the night on Sundays, the actual numbers during business hours are even more dramatic.

Read more: How hot are pickups? Ford sells an F-series every 30 seconds, 24/7
A large chunk of those F-150s are base XL fleet trucks sold to companies and municipalities. Just like police depts used to buy Crown Vics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 09:13 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
A large chunk of those F-150s are base XL fleet trucks sold to companies and municipalities. Just like police depts used to buy Crown Vics.
Doesn’t mater it still is a sale no matter who bought them just like anyother companies doing business it’s still a sale in their books, still took the same amount of people and materials and time to produce them no matter who bought them. But buy what you see on the road a majority were sales to the general public. And to keep on doing it for 40 years in a row now that’s saying something don’t you think.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:46 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times
I like driving cars for their intended purpose I suppose.

I have a Camaro, I drive it spiritedly.

I have a Fusion Hybrid, I drive it conservatively and for commuting and to carry around passengers.

Maybe the intended purpose behind large and overly gaudy SUV's is to look like you have money

Old 06-06-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Yes it’s something to celebrate I live in metro Detroit so yes I’m a big3 enthusiast, and FYI today’s pickups and large SUVs get better mpg than years back. Hell GM is going to put a 4 cylinder in a pickup so you’re thinking just because gas is going up dosent mean doom and gloom for the pickups and large SUVs. If that were the case why is Ford concentrated on more SUVs and pickups and is dropping some sedans, along with Gm and Chrysler. You keep thinking in the past dude this is a whole new generation of greater mpg pickups and SUVs. And FYI Ford never got any bailout and if they did how did it effect you personally did the federal government take money out of your paycheck to pay for the bailout so how did the bailout of the automakers effect you personally. I think the same way the bailout of the big banks did also it didn’t effect you in any way what so ever. You can keep preaching about things you know nothing about have a great day.

Ford is dropping ALL of their sedans. Only the Mustang and an off road version of the Focus will remain. I love Ford, but I see this biting them in the ass. You can squeeze 17-20MPG city driving out of a truck/SUV with the right technology, but you can't get 30+ in a truck, and when gas hits $4-6 a gallon, people are going to make that painstaking move back to economy cars, and Ford will be poorly positioned to recover.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:08 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,139,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Ford is dropping ALL of their sedans. Only the Mustang and an off road version of the Focus will remain. I love Ford, but I see this biting them in the ass. You can squeeze 17-20MPG city driving out of a truck/SUV with the right technology, but you can't get 30+ in a truck, and when gas hits $4-6 a gallon, people are going to make that painstaking move back to economy cars, and Ford will be poorly positioned to recover.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ford-mo...ay-2018-04-25/

Huge mistake, IMO.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:11 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,474,981 times
Because they, and other SUVs, BLOCK.OTHERS’.VIEW! Simple as that. Hate ‘em.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:14 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,329,700 times
Quote:
I agree that they are setting themselves up for a fall.

I remember 1973 when we had the first oil crisis, then 1979 when it happened again. In both cases, Ford was making mostly trucks and the consumers suddenly wanted fuel efficient cars. I think the tipping point is at about $3.50 per gallon. That would be a $112 fill up for my old Bronco.

I drive a 2012 Fusion and it's a really good car and I intend to keep it until it hits wear out mode. After that I think I'll switch to a Camry. No way do I want to tolerate just 15 mpg. The Camry now gets 31 mpg.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
If they need to revert back to making smaller sedans again they can do it very quickly, Ford can revamp a assembly plant in a short time, they have been in the building of cars and trucks longer than anyone they know what to do. Everyone here thinks that Ford doesn’t know how to start making sedans in a hurry if this plan doesn’t work out, asured they can get a plant up and going in a short period of time. This isn’t Tesla this is Ford father of the assembly line.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I agree that they are setting themselves up for a fall.

I remember 1973 when we had the first oil crisis, then 1979 when it happened again. In both cases, Ford was making mostly trucks and the consumers suddenly wanted fuel efficient cars. I think the tipping point is at about $3.50 per gallon. That would be a $112 fill up for my old Bronco.

I drive a 2012 Fusion and it's a really good car and I intend to keep it until it hits wear out mode. After that I think I'll switch to a Camry. No way do I want to tolerate just 15 mpg. The Camry now gets 31 mpg.
Everyone thinks in the past pickups and SUVs get way better gas mileage that they did before. You really think Ford is that dumb to do what they are doing really a multi billion company that is the oldest automotive manufacturer in the world, I guess people on here know more than Ford Motor Company dose than.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
If they need to revert back to making smaller sedans again they can do it very quickly, Ford can revamp a assembly plant in a short time, they have been in the building of cars and trucks longer than anyone they know what to do. Everyone here thinks that Ford doesn’t know how to start making sedans in a hurry if this plan doesn’t work out, asured they can get a plant up and going in a short period of time. This isn’t Tesla this is Ford father of the assembly line.

Define quickly. Ford will have to design a whole new car before they can retool a plant to make a sedan again.

I hope GM takes advantage of Ford's withdrawl from the sedan market and snatches up a larger piece of the pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive