Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 06:45 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Everyone thinks in the past pickups and SUVs get way better gas mileage that they did before. You really think Ford is that dumb to do what they are doing really a multi billion company that is the oldest automotive manufacturer in the world, I guess people on here know more than Ford Motor Company dose than.

What are you trying to say???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 07:08 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Define quickly. Ford will have to design a whole new car before they can retool a plant to make a sedan again.

I hope GM takes advantage of Ford's withdrawl from the sedan market and snatches up a larger piece of the pie.
You have do idea what Ford already has designed they design and do prototypes of vehicles years in advance. It would take no time at all to reconfigure a assembly plant to make a new product they can do it in a matter of months. I live in metro Detroit and have worked for Chrysler and seen how fast a assembly plant can be converted to make a new vehicle fords been doing this a long time, unless you know the automotive making process you have no idea how it’s done. And FYI Gm is cutting sedans as well as with Chrysler.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:14 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
Quote:
What are you trying to say???
I’m saying it because people on here think they know more the Ford when it comes to their own company. Ford is in the automotive business people on here are not they have been making cars and trucks for a hell of a long time so i guess they know a little about the automotive business.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:19 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Various reasons.
1. Some large vehicle drivers aren’t sure where their wheels are and overcompensate putting them almost in the path of oncoming vehicles. I live on a narrow road and see this daily. They’re afraid their passenger side tires are going to fall into the ditch and overcompensate with drivers side wheels riding the center line.
2. Parking. Even when dead centered in some parking spaces, they leave very little room for the doors to open for vehicles parked next to them. What’s worse is drivers in the first group rarely ever park centered in a parking space and end up blocking door access for at least one vehicle parked next to them.
3. Aggressive drivers who feel safe and well protected seem to let their inner demons out when they get behind the wheel as if they feel invincible. They try to use the size of their vehicle and driving style to intimidate other drivers to get out of their way. Usually such drivers eventually end up on their side.
4. The fourth reason isn’t about the large vehicle driver. It’s the hardcore environmentalist who hates large vehicles they see as ruining the environment. If it were up to them everyone would either walk, ride bicycles, or drive all electric cars. But they don’t seem to have the same level of hatred towards those driving sedans or sports cars that offer nearly the same fuel economy as the large vehicles.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
You have do idea what Ford already has designed they design and do prototypes of vehicles years in advance. It would take no time at all to reconfigure a assembly plant to make a new product they can do it in a matter of months. I live in metro Detroit and have worked for Chrysler and seen how fast a assembly plant can be converted to make a new vehicle fords been doing this a long time, unless you know the automotive making process you have no idea how it’s done. And FYI Gm is cutting sedans as well as with Chrysler.

Link on GM and Chrysler cutting sedans? Haven't heard that news yet.

If you say so, it sure look longer than a matter of months to start production on the Camaro when they brought it back.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:29 AM

I don't feel hate towards large SUV's and their drivers, I just wonder what makes them so appealing to the masses. SUV's are far more likely to flip over when involved in an accident than a regular car/sedan. SUV's cost significantly more, sometimes twice as much as a similarly equipped car/sedan. The towing and hauling capabilities of SUV's seem to rarely be used, often I see one maybe 2 occupants in a vehicle. The fuel economy alone makes them almost twice as costly to refuel as a typical sedan. So I'm left with wondering, why get one? What's the appeal? Status? Too much money? Used to tow the boat to the lake 5 times a year?

Old 06-07-2018, 07:41 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Everyone thinks in the past pickups and SUVs get way better gas mileage that they did before. You really think Ford is that dumb to do what they are doing really a multi billion company that is the oldest automotive manufacturer in the world, I guess people on here know more than Ford Motor Company dose than.
They make mistakes too, remember the Pinto?

Old 06-07-2018, 07:55 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,068,175 times
Quote:
Define quickly. Ford will have to design a whole new car before they can retool a plant to make a sedan again.

I hope GM takes advantage of Ford's withdrawl from the sedan market and snatches up a larger piece of the pie.
Ford is designing and tooling up for EVs and hybrids.

"Ford plans to invest $5 billion in EVs by 2022 and introduce at least 13 electrified models worldwide in the next five years and aims to make its first stand-alone EV in Europe in 2020."
http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...evs-in-germany

"first stand-alone EV in Europe in 2020." 2 years away. The EV charge is gaining momentum.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:02 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,068,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They make mistakes too, remember the Pinto?
Wasn't that the Mustang?

Old 06-07-2018, 09:01 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
I find it interesting that not many people have driven both and are willing to see both sides. I love the SUV for its utility (AWD and can carry a lot more due to the open trunk area which is why families default to them). I love the sedan for its light feel where running errands for 5 minutes doesn't feel cumbersome or wasteful of gas. Both have positives & negatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
That may be true of some people. I don't hate SUVs or SUV owners or SUV drivers. But I do respond to them differently than I do other vehicles. My own response to big SUVs is driven by the simple fact that they hinder visibility for everyone not in a big SUV or big truck. Visibility is your friend when it comes to the road. So SUV drivers, whether they want to or not, increase their visibility at the cost of others' visibility.

What really should happen is SUVs should be deemed HPVs--high profile vehicles--and that designation should have implications for their use on the freeway and on surface streets. On the freeway, they should be prohibited from the far left lane on the highway, because in the left lane they reduce visibility for the very lane designated for higher speeds and thus designated to need more visibility. Their presence in the left lane is, thus, a contradiction. On surface streets SUVs should be prohibited from being parked closer than twenty feet from a cross-walk, because they lower visibility of and for pedestrians.
This is also true of motorcycles (having to look-out for / compensate for their size & frailty). They are just as much a nuisance but on the positive side, there's not a lot of them.

And your extensive point about SUVs and classifying them with restrictions... why leave out minivans? I share your concern about seeing around them (I drive an SUV but also drive my wife's sedan a lot). Minivans, pickups, and SUVs are in the same category. If you prohibit SUVs from lanes, etc., you better do it for all other tall vehicles. What I do when I drive my SUV is drive on the center-right side of the lane so followers can still see around me - more people should do this for sure. It's for my safety too (and why would I want the headache of being rear-ended?). At the very least, if you're following a tall vehicle, maintain a slightly larger gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
And the difference between an SUV with a tinted back window versus a car is that the SUV's height brings it more into my eyes. It doesn't blind me on a car.
Funny you bring up the glare issue. MANY sedans have the perfectly-angled slanted rear windows that happen to put the glare of the sun right into an SUV driver's eyes. It's pretty annoying just the same. Logic dictates that it happens to sedan drivers too since rear windows are angled differently on all cars. Any chrome piece in the rear is also a magnet for glare. All I can (and often) do is change lanes.

Many sedans are also wanna-be ricers who install brighter aftermarket headlights, sometimes mis-aligned, which are annoying to fellow drivers, sedans/SUVs alike. These things are common annoyances so the SUVs aren't special. The one true thing about SUVs I can agree with haters about though is when their factory HID headlights are too bright since they're already near eye-level of everyone. The whole HID/LED light thing has gotten out of hand for every vehicle out there though. Every buyer wants their car brand to stand out if you ask the manufacturers so they all want to win the light-show race.

Last edited by ovi8; 06-07-2018 at 09:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive