Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 01:07 AM

506 posts, read 510,819 times

Advertisements

Here are a few examples. A few cars have sped and passed me, even cutting me off, yet we arrive to the same traffic light at red.

I've even had drivers driving erratically and speeding past me, and I still get to the same location as them, like a supermarket, BEFORE they arrive.

So why do those drivers do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 01:36 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
1. Impatience
2. Some people think it's fun and exciting to drive fast.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:45 AM

7,268 posts, read 5,147,374 times
-@60mph, you can drive 5 miles in 5 minutes
-@45mph, you drive the same 5 miles in 6.5 minutes---you save 1 min 30 seconds of your precious time....and as you point out, if there's any traffic lites involved, the slow guy usually catches up to the fast guy several times along the way.

Most courses in calculus usually have a standard problem about how much a driver should slow down as he approaches a red light with cars waiting so he can give them time to accelerate as the light turns green in order to minimize his own travel time. Smart driving.

OTOH- traffic flows like any other fluid, and any given car is like a canoe in a river--> if you're not going faster than "the current," you're not in control of the vehicle and it's just a cork floating along at the mercy of the current.

I guess it's best to speed, but not too much.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:37 AM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times
When ya have a fast car like i do it can be fun.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:59 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,396,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
-@45mph, you drive the same 5 miles in 6.5 minutes---you save 1 min 30 seconds of your precious time....and as you point out, if there's any traffic lites involved, the slow guy usually catches up to the fast guy several times along the way.

Most courses in calculus usually have a standard problem about how much a driver should slow down as he approaches a red light with cars waiting so he can give them time to accelerate as the light turns green in order to minimize his own travel time. Smart driving.

OTOH- traffic flows like any other fluid, and any given car is like a canoe in a river--> if you're not going faster than "the current," you're not in control of the vehicle and it's just a cork floating along at the mercy of the current.

I guess it's best to speed, but not too much.
False logic alert! Traffic is not a 'fluid'. Your control comes via steering wheel, brakes and accelerator.
Traffic actually is much more efficient when all or most drivers are going the same speed and there is minimal weaving in and out of traffic and minimal tapping of brakes.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:02 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
Some people don’t care about the speed limit laws and could care less about other drivers on the road, they think they are above the law and it doesn’t apply to them. These morons are the most likely ones to have road rage problems. Because it’s all about them and they think they are intitled to drive anyway they want. They is no more courtesy drivers anymore it’s a all about me world we live in and screw everyone else. But if they do get into an type of trouble they always blame someone else because they can’t accept responsibility for their own actions.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:55 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
I don't know about all the claims that it doesn't get you where you're going faster. It may not get you to the next light or two faster, or even a distance of a few mile, but I do notice the going faster does make a difference.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
On a trip of several hundred miles it can make a significant difference in the time to get there, but on the typical commute or errand not. Of course, our commutes here do not allow for speeding, if anything it's a pleasant surprise to be within 10 mph under the speed limit.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:06 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,095,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Over 5 minutes yeah, but 10 miles an hour over an HOUR's drive and you're either 10 miles farther or done 10 minutes earlier. Then extend that out to an 8 hour drive, like from my house here in Baltimore to my son's in upstate NY. 10 MPH faster results in over an hour saved making it a mere 7 hour trip. And 10 mph over on the highway isn't an unsafe condition.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:37 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,839,184 times
Did anyone else actually read the OP's post? He mentioned traffic lights and supermarket. Therefore, we are talking city driving, commute. NOT highway, interstate, or any kind of long term driving.
Now, back to the point, driving fast, cutting other drivers off, does not do anything but actually slow everyone else down. Take for instance, commute driving, lots of traffic, Speedy Gonzales zips in and out of traffic, cutting off others that are leaving a safe distance between themselves and the car in front of them, by cutting that person off, he makes them slow down, to give him that same space, Speedy also causes people to have to brake hard, because he cut them off and thereby making everyone behind him slow down, or causes an accident, that he just drives away from. So, those that do that, are ignorant of really knowing how to drive, how to interact with other people/vehicles on the road. This type of narcissistic, me only behavior is not only the stupidest way to get from point A to point B, it endangers everyone else on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive