Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 07:22 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,250,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
False logic alert! Traffic is not a 'fluid'. Your control comes via steering wheel, brakes and accelerator.
Traffic actually is much more efficient when all or most drivers are going the same speed and there is minimal weaving in and out of traffic and minimal tapping of brakes.
But in the real world, one slow driver in one lane can lead to congestion in all lanes.

Sure, sometimes you can't get past the congestion, or by the time you do it's too late to make any difference in your arrival time at your destination. But if you break free into the open it can make a difference.

It's usually possible to figure out if you can or not. And whether it's worth it. And it's usually possible to put yourself into position to take advantage of a gap if it develops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 08:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
"some people" as in 90% of drivers. You self righteous speed limit nazis are far more likely to be the cause and source of road rage than the 90% who drive like everyone else. People who don't keep up with traffic, I'm sure that describes you, are far more likely to cause an accident than people who are driving the same speed as everyone else.

Clearly the overwhelming majority don't agree with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B-Ox0ZmVIU

I've taken to paying close attention to the traffic flow after hearing all sorts of people claiming that the safest thing to do is to go with the flow of traffic, which which I agree. Traffic flow would be the speed that most vehicles are going in all lanes, presumably. Interestingly enough, I've noticed that for the most part, on the highway, the traffic flow consists of people going the speed limit or slightly less, as I pass them in the left lane (and promptly get back in to the non-passing lane once I have done so). There are the occasional few who go faster, but they are NOT going with the flow of traffic and THEY are the ones creating a dangerous discrepancy in speed, no matter what they try to tell others and themselves.

But getting them to acknowledge that they would go nuts if they were required to go with the flow? Damned near impossible. For obvious reasons.

By the way, again, road rage is caused by NO ONE other than the road rager himself. It is highly irresponsible (or indicative of someone with the same emotional problem) to blame their actions on anyone else at all. If one is not capable of not raging because one doesn't get one's own way all the time on the public roads, one is not competent to have a driver's license. Period.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:54 AM

341 posts, read 302,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
By the way, again, road rage is caused by NO ONE other than the road rager himself. It is highly irresponsible (or indicative of someone with the same emotional problem) to blame their actions on anyone else at all. If one is not capable of not raging because one doesn't get one's own way all the time on the public roads, one is not competent to have a driver's license. Period.
Not true at all. You can be pulled over and fined in some states if you’re the one holding up traffic in a passing lane.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:22 AM

1,847 posts, read 835,055 times
I've never understood trying to hurry through traffic (bumper-bumper). Unsurprisingly it's the same people that quickly change lanes or make multiple lane changes. That tend to quickly speed up then brake hard.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:58 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
You owe me a 10-second car

I'll trade ya for Mia Toretto. And that's not the only thing that would happen in 10 seconds.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by life4orce View Post
Not true at all. You can be pulled over and fined in some states if you’re the one holding up traffic in a passing lane.

Yeah, the citation is "Impeding an officer from getting to the donut shop"

Old 10-04-2018, 08:04 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,096,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life4orce View Post
TexasHorseLady is only for law and order, when she agrees with the law. She just ignores the laws she doesn't agree with.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:06 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,095,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yeah, the citation is "Impeding an officer from getting to the donut shop"

lol

Old 10-04-2018, 08:06 AM

Speeding is all about opportunity cost. I don't want to get a ticket with the multi-year hike in insurance premiums. I drive as fast as I possibly can and still not run high risk of getting a ticket. On a suburban town secondary road, I set the adaptive cruise control at speed limit + 4. No local cop is going to ticket me for 39 in a 35 or 29 in a school zone. On most limited access highways, I'm at speed limit + 9. If it's a stretch of road where I never see cops or know they are really lax enforcing speed laws, I go a lot faster. Boston's Route 128 is a 55 mph road. I'm going 70+ just like everybody else.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4XePPkTdCU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive