Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 08:19 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,833,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Speeding is all about opportunity cost. I don't want to get a ticket with the multi-year hike in insurance premiums. I drive as fast as I possibly can and still not run high risk of getting a ticket. On a suburban town secondary road, I set the adaptive cruise control at speed limit + 4. No local cop is going to ticket me for 39 in a 35 or 29 in a school zone. On most limited access highways, I'm at speed limit + 9. If it's a stretch of road where I never see cops or know they are really lax enforcing speed laws, I go a lot faster. Boston's Route 128 is a 55 mph road. I'm going 70+ just like everybody else.
I would not try that in a school zone! YOu will be stopped and ticketed faster than Trump fires a White House Staffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 08:22 AM

15,413 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
LOL, most cops I have had the displeasure of talking to, would be lucky to get Ds. That clip must have been before Jordan v. The City of New London .

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 10-04-2018 at 08:38 AM..

Old 10-04-2018, 08:33 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
I would not try that in a school zone! YOu will be stopped and ticketed faster than Trump fires a White House Staffer.

Just call me Mister Sessions. LOL

Old 10-04-2018, 09:21 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Sometimes you beat the light, sometimes you don't.
They have also figured out how to beat the guys who try to always beat the traffic lights though...Ive seen plenty of intersections in my area, If you speed up to get thru a light about to turn red, most of the time, the NEXT intersection down the road, the lights are timed so you will get stuck at THAT red light instead!!

Many stretches of main road in my area, the traffic lights are timed, so if you get stuck at one red light, you will more than likely get stuck at a red light on the next intersection down, the one after that, so on and so on, they 'time' the seconds or minutes it takes for a car to get up to speed and reach the next intersection and set the traffic lights accordingly.

Ive found the best way to beat this is...at the first traffic light you hit, start off slow and do not speed up.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:23 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady
By the way, again, road rage is caused by NO ONE other than the road rager himself. It is highly irresponsible (or indicative of someone with the same emotional problem) to blame their actions on anyone else at all. If one is not capable of not raging because one doesn't get one's own way all the time on the public roads, one is not competent to have a driver's license. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by life4orce View Post
Not true at all. You can be pulled over and fined in some states if you’re the one holding up traffic in a passing lane.

Please go back and read what I said because your response bears no relation to it at all - you are fixated on someone being in your way.

Again, the sole responsibility for road rage belongs to the person who is so emotionally incompetent and immature that they cannot control their emotions while behind the wheel of a multi-ton vehicle on public roads. They, and they alone, no matter WHAT anyone else does, are responsible for their own reactions. This applies out of the vehicle, too.

Excusing road rage as anyone else made them do it is similar to blaming spousal abuse on the abused party. Or blaming a mugged person for being mugged. Or a rape victim for being raped.

Is that more clear?

Old 10-04-2018, 09:26 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
TexasHorseLady is only for law and order, when she agrees with the law. She just ignores the laws she doesn't agree with.

No, that's your gig, Cloudy Dayz, well displayed frequently on this forum. I defy you to find one law that I ignore because I don't agree with it. Now, I HAVE repeatedly, to you, pointed out that you can't just pick one law (slower traffic keep right, say) and say that people should all obey that stringently so that you, yourself, can ignore another law (speed limit, say) unimpeded, and being considered anything but a raging hypocrite with entitlement syndrome, at best, but that's not disagreeing with a law that I don't agree with (I actually agree with both the examples above), that's respecting ALL of the law. See the difference?

Old 10-04-2018, 09:56 AM

341 posts, read 302,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady
By the way, again, road rage is caused by NO ONE other than the road rager himself. It is highly irresponsible (or indicative of someone with the same emotional problem) to blame their actions on anyone else at all. If one is not capable of not raging because one doesn't get one's own way all the time on the public roads, one is not competent to have a driver's license. Period.

Please go back and read what I said because your response bears no relation to it at all - you are fixated on someone being in your way.

Again, the sole responsibility for road rage belongs to the person who is so emotionally incompetent and immature that they cannot control their emotions while behind the wheel of a multi-ton vehicle on public roads. They, and they alone, no matter WHAT anyone else does, are responsible for their own reactions. This applies out of the vehicle, too.

Excusing road rage as anyone else made them do it is similar to blaming spousal abuse on the abused party. Or blaming a mugged person for being mugged. Or a rape victim for being raped.

Is that more clear?
Not clear at all. Are you equating rape to a road incident? I have no words for that.

Who's excusing road rage? I'm merely stating both sides are at fault whether you want to believe it or not - it takes at least 2 parties for a road rage incident. In your quest to be always right, you're blinded by the fact that in your own little world, you can't admit that it's a possibility that you're inconveniencing other people by holding them up. One person driving down the road will not spontaneously have road rage. If the "victim" had merely let the situation go and let the hot head go, there would be no road rage incident. Let the hot head get a traffic ticket, whatever. Karma will get them.

I would argue the person who gets in the way of the aggressive driver and escalates the problem is just as emotionally immature. Your argument that only one person is responsible for road rage makes no sense.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:16 AM

50,720 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
Here are a few examples. A few cars have sped and passed me, even cutting me off, yet we arrive to the same traffic light at red.

I've even had drivers driving erratically and speeding past me, and I still get to the same location as them, like a supermarket, BEFORE they arrive.

So why do those drivers do it?
It's frustrating to be right behind someone. I like space in front of me, that is what I am seeking most often when I pass someone. For instance I am cruising along at 57 or so in a 50 through farm country on my way to work, very few cars anywhere, then someone turns out in front of me going 55. I have to put my brakes on, and instead of cruising along relaxing, I am now right behind someone and have to either slow down to 52 or so, or pass and have my peaceful ride back. So I pass. I don't even get why the person pulled out in front of me if they don't care to go fast. Why not just wait for me to go by if there's no one behind me? It happens a lot though.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:25 AM

50,720 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life4orce View Post
Not clear at all. Are you equating rape to a road incident? I have no words for that.

Who's excusing road rage? I'm merely stating both sides are at fault whether you want to believe it or not - it takes at least 2 parties for a road rage incident. In your quest to be always right, you're blinded by the fact that in your own little world, you can't admit that it's a possibility that you're inconveniencing other people by holding them up. One person driving down the road will not spontaneously have road rage. If the "victim" had merely let the situation go and let the hot head go, there would be no road rage incident. Let the hot head get a traffic ticket, whatever. Karma will get them.

I would argue the person who gets in the way of the aggressive driver and escalates the problem is just as emotionally immature. Your argument that only one person is responsible for road rage makes no sense.
I had this argument with my bf a couple weeks ago. He told about an incident when he was on the AC Expressway, which is a 6 lane 65 MPH road. A lady was trying to pass a guy in the left lane, my honey was in the middle lane. The guy in the left lane would not move over (despite it is LAW in NJ to keep right, pass left and there are signs saying so along the road), so she tried middle lane, right lane, left lane again, and finally did a stupid stunt and passed on the shoulder, almost causing an accident.

My bf thought it was funny that all 3 lanes appeared to conspire to keep that lady from passing, he thought her growing frustration was funny. I disagreed. First off, you have no idea why that lady is in a hurry. Maybe she got a call that her child is in the hospital, or that Dad only has a little while left, so if you want to say goodbye, get here now. Second, the guy in the left lane was a complete and total a**hole and just as passive-aggressive as she was overtly aggressive. He had no business refusing to move out of the left lane even though he wasn't passing and was driving in line with the people in the middle lane.

If I had been that guy, I'd have moved over and let her by. Even on 2 lane roads, if someone tailgates me, I pull over and let them by. That guy though thought it was up to him to slow her down, to block her path, to teach her a lesson. That is all ego, and not safe driving in any way. If she had gotten in an accident he would not have been charged most likely, but it would have been just as much his fault IMO.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:35 AM

15,413 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
No, that's your gig, Cloudy Dayz, well displayed frequently on this forum. I defy you to find one law that I ignore because I don't agree with it. Now, I HAVE repeatedly, to you, pointed out that you can't just pick one law (slower traffic keep right, say) and say that people should all obey that stringently so that you, yourself, can ignore another law (speed limit, say) unimpeded, and being considered anything but a raging hypocrite with entitlement syndrome, at best, but that's not disagreeing with a law that I don't agree with (I actually agree with both the examples above), that's respecting ALL of the law. See the difference?
Do you always obey Keep Right Except To Pass laws?

Do you always obey laws against impeding traffic?

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that your posts have shown contempt for both laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive