Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 09:06 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,428,771 times

Advertisements

If you’re prone to driving fast on the highway you’re also one of those who will drive fast on city streets because you have no regard for speed limits or other drivers safety either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 09:07 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,856,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Sure there is...everyones driving skills are different. I see people everyday on the interstate going close to 100mph, weaving in and out to avoid slower drivers.
Idiots! What's that, 35 MPH OVER the speed limit??!! One day they will pay, with either their life or somebody else's.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:11 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
There's no such thing as responsible speeding. People who do it think they're better drivers than everyone around them and they're not. Look up some statistics on how much worse accidents are for every 5 miles faster you're going.

As OP was talking about the supermarket and ordinary daily driving, you do know that most accidents happen within a few miles of home, right? What can you possibly gain by getting to the supermarket ahead of the cars in front of you?
There's sometimes helpful speeding. Just last Sunday I was on the freeway behind a road hog who was going under the speed limit in the fast lane. I wasn't in a hurry, so I just followed, but behind me there was a speeder who slipped into the slow lane to get around Road Hog. Road Hog sped up to cut off speeder, so I got to get up to just a little over the posted limit. I let Speeder in behind Road Hog, because he did me a solid.

I'm also fond of drivers who tailgate anyone but me. They are like a street sweeper getting the slugs out of the fast lane. I enjoy following a tailgater, of course using the 2 second rule so that when he gets into an accident I am not involved.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:12 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,856,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Of course it gets you there quicker...why do you think ambulances speed or police, when they need to get somewhere fast...this is pretty simple to understand...if you go faster, you are going to get there faster.
They have these bright, flashing lights and a siren and people must get out of their way in both directions. They can also go through intersections on red if it is safe to do so and the ones with the green light do what they are supposed to do, stop!

You want to drive like that? Go to any Latin American country and join in on the national games of chicken played out on the roads on a daily basis. And pray you don't wreck, but your turn will come.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:07 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,793,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
Here are a few examples. A few cars have sped and passed me, even cutting me off, yet we arrive to the same traffic light at red.

I've even had drivers driving erratically and speeding past me, and I still get to the same location as them, like a supermarket, BEFORE they arrive.

So why do those drivers do it?
I admit, I get a chuckle at them also. But hey, that's what they want, cool. I have seen some do it and the cop pulls up behind them, lights them up and I leave them with discussing their sins with the law. I heard from one guy it's almost like stallions running. They want to be THE leader....Go figure...

Old 10-02-2018, 01:53 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,589,005 times
Fast drivers aren't the problem, it's the half fast ones that cause the problems. And if you are in the left lane, and not passing anyone, you are, in fact, a half fast driver.

I think I know where the OP fits into this discussion.....

Old 10-02-2018, 03:02 PM

30,396 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
Here are a few examples. A few cars have sped and passed me, even cutting me off, yet we arrive to the same traffic light at red.

I've even had drivers driving erratically and speeding past me, and I still get to the same location as them, like a supermarket, BEFORE they arrive.

The faster one drives while not getting stopped for speeding or an accident, the less time will have been spent over a given amount of time....that's just simple math. There are plenty of occasions that due to traffic lights or other impediments, the time savings might be held at bay but over time, faster drivers not getting stopped will end up saving time...so the premise of your question is false. Now, the time savings often does not warrant the extra speed but that's a matter of opinion based on individual preference.

Also, it's thrilling to drive fast in my Hellcat for me. I try to drive as fast as safely possible while avoiding a ticket, that's my goal.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:32 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,483,437 times
What's funny about is when drivers reach their destination. You seldom see anyone hop out of their car and start running, or even walking at a fast pace. There's exceptions, but the average person travels from his car to front door of Wallmart at a slow waddle.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:49 PM

9,519 posts, read 4,350,741 times
Quote:

The fact that you occasionally get somewhere sooner than a speeding driver doesn't make your premise correct. I've arrived places many times earlier than people who drive slower than I - which doesn't prove anything.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:51 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,839,184 times
Quote:

The reactions and posts to this are all making the assumption of this being a Highway. The OP states, "traffic light, supermarket" he doesn't say anywhere he's doing 50 mph in the left lane of a 70 mph highway. The discussion is not about, drivers in the "fast lane of a freeway" which, i usually drive around 10 mph over the stated limit, notwithstanding the flow of traffic. Sometimes it doesn't move above 35 mph, then some jerk who feels like he owns the road and everyone else going to work is so much more insignificant than him. So he weaves in and out, causing more problems and slowdowns than there was before. But,,,, he gets two cars in front of where he was, might actually be at his exit a whole 30 seconds faster. And that makes so much difference in the big scheme of life. If they would follow the limits, with variable flow, they would get to there destination normally at the same time they would have otherwise. There erratic, aberrant driving skills, (or lack thereof) only cause problems.
You have a driver in the left lane, not doing at least the limit? yes, problem. But as long as I been alive, it's a proven fact, TWO WRONGS don't make a Right. I've flashed my lights at the person doing 50 in the fast lane of 70 mph stated, some move, some stay on their phone, texting, talking, and those cause more issues. But, does all this justify some idiot coming up behind congested traffic and weaving in and out trying to vie for a better position? NO. It slows things down more, creates more impatience.
Want to discuss your driving skills? are you the one that drives 80 when posted limit is 65, jumping from one lane to the next, only because you have no regard for your life, or care if you cause damage to another human being, because youre entitled to being the one that is above lines and courtesy? Try checking your ego before you turn on the key. You'll make it home, and so will others during your commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive