Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:45 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,575,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
This from the person that makes it a point to critique every post on this forum. How cute...
Assumption, is the key word, even in your response.

That's a reasonable assumption... Officer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 09:53 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,038,722 times
I suspect the average speed demon has likely had to spend more hours at work to pay for speeding fines, increased insurance premiums, and the extra wear and tear on their cars, than the number of hours they have saved by driving fast.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:56 AM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
It's both conditioning and emotions, drivers develop a lot of crummy and dangerous driving habits that, most of the time, do not get them to their destination any faster.

I am currently in Bakersfield, Ca and I see some very fast driving......but they are usually stopping at the same lights I get caught at. Some of the speed-limits are 55 mph through a
city-intersection.......you have to be out of your mind to go 55 through those intersections.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:26 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,095,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
I suspect the average speed demon has likely had to spend more hours at work to pay for speeding fines, increased insurance premiums, and the extra wear and tear on their cars, than the number of hours they have saved by driving fast.
In 40 years of driving at slightly elevated speeds I've only gotten pulled over for speeding once. No points or added costs to me or anything. My cars are also designed well enough that an additional 10 mph doesn't negatively affect them in any way. Sorry. But I HAVE saved a lot of hours.

I don't drive aggressively. I drive calmly, comfortably, and enjoyably. Sometimes that's at elevated speeds.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:00 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,140,426 times
If you speed correctly -- when you know the territory -- of course you get to where you're going faster.....perhaps only minutes, but.....that's still sooner than you would have otherwise arrived.
So the entire premise of the OP is not correct.

I know the lights on my regular route like the back of my hand. I know which lights I need to speed to get to in order to still catch the green light. And I know the ones where it doesn't matter whether you speed or not ...... if you're pulling off from the light before, you won't make the green light.

If you catch every green light -- or even most green lights -- on a given trip, versus getting caught at every RED light during the drive, of course that makes a difference in the time of the trip, and thus the time you arrive at the destination.

Sometimes a person might speed just to get in front of a slow poke, who if they stayed behind them, the person would never catch a green light. So, they speed to get around them so they can catch every green ahead. I've done it. And I look back and the person I got in front of some times ends up two or three lights behind. If they want to drive slower and get caught at every red light -- that's on them.

I marvel especially at people who don't speed up just a little to make the green. They'd rather go slower, and then the light just changes red on them and they hit the brakes at a light they could have gotten through if they'd just driven a little faster. Personally, I'd rather get through the light, than have to hit my brakes and stop short at a light that. just. turned. red.

Some people just pay NO attention when they drive.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
YOur wake up call, is you don't know a thing about me.

I drive very well, safe, and don't put others in danger. 6'2", don't hunch over nothing, have driven in many races, on and off track. Worked for AJ Foyt, driven in two destruction derbies. so, guess again. Feel bad only for your lack of abilities in profiling.

Funny, the professional drivers that I've known have nothing to prove off the track, and I was taught by some of them to emulate them and drive VERY conservatively on the public roads, because they KNOW what happens to a human body when inside a giant metal can that is smashed. They also know, when on public roads, that they are sharing the roads with people of varying capabilities and experience and vehicles of varying conditions and that, as the actual excellent drivers, the responsibility is on them to drive conservatively when sharing those roads (much like black belts if they have any sense do not pick fights in bars because they are so much better than the average). Then, of course, there's the fact that they have nothing to try to prove on public roads because they've already proven it where it really counts, against their peers.

Things they don't do: Tailgate, weave in and out of traffic, delude themselves that speed means ability, or lose their cool because someone in front of them is going slower than they would prefer (all indicators of a poor driver). Because they are truly excellent drivers.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:32 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,757,118 times
Sometimes you beat the light, sometimes you don't.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:45 PM

15,423 posts, read 9,096,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I want what you’re smokeing what is this a math fourm or a automotive fourm you’re answer is so idiotic you should not even be driving because you’re type get people killed
If that is the best you can do with English, it doesn't surprise me you can't understand mathematics.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 10-03-2018 at 01:03 PM..

Old 10-03-2018, 12:56 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
Here are a few examples. A few cars have sped and passed me, even cutting me off, yet we arrive to the same traffic light at red.

I've even had drivers driving erratically and speeding past me, and I still get to the same location as them, like a supermarket, BEFORE they arrive.

So why do those drivers do it?

You selectively remember the times you pull up and see the faster driver at the light but not the times you never see them again because they made the last light cycle and are miles on down the road.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:23 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,839,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Funny, the professional drivers that I've known have nothing to prove off the track, and I was taught by some of them to emulate them and drive VERY conservatively on the public roads, because they KNOW what happens to a human body when inside a giant metal can that is smashed. They also know, when on public roads, that they are sharing the roads with people of varying capabilities and experience and vehicles of varying conditions and that, as the actual excellent drivers, the responsibility is on them to drive conservatively when sharing those roads (much like black belts if they have any sense do not pick fights in bars because they are so much better than the average). Then, of course, there's the fact that they have nothing to try to prove on public roads because they've already proven it where it really counts, against their peers.

Things they don't do: Tailgate, weave in and out of traffic, delude themselves that speed means ability, or lose their cool because someone in front of them is going slower than they would prefer (all indicators of a poor driver). Because they are truly excellent drivers.
and I thank you for supporting my post. Because, I don't tailgate, weave in and out, nor delude myself.... just not safe. The person I was responding to was the one that alluded to their abilities to do such things, while insinuating about my driving abilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive