Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 03:54 PM

9,519 posts, read 4,350,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Did anyone else actually read the OP's post? He mentioned traffic lights and supermarket. Therefore, we are talking city driving, commute. NOT highway, interstate, or any kind of long term driving.
Now, back to the point, driving fast, cutting other drivers off, does not do anything but actually slow everyone else down. Take for instance, commute driving, lots of traffic, Speedy Gonzales zips in and out of traffic, cutting off others that are leaving a safe distance between themselves and the car in front of them, by cutting that person off, he makes them slow down, to give him that same space, Speedy also causes people to have to brake hard, because he cut them off and thereby making everyone behind him slow down, or causes an accident, that he just drives away from. So, those that do that, are ignorant of really knowing how to drive, how to interact with other people/vehicles on the road. This type of narcissistic, me only behavior is not only the stupidest way to get from point A to point B, it endangers everyone else on the road.

You sound like one of those folks who fails to anticipate lights turning green (even though it's an inevitability), can't read traffic, take eons to make simple decisions, and are generally just terrified of being behind the wheel. I honestly feel bad for these folks. I see them everyday - hunched over the steering wheel , peering forward in terror and oblivious to everything around them.

Fast isn't always dangerous and slow is rarely safer. Go with the flow and keep up with traffic. You, and everyone around you, will be happier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 03:55 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
What's funny about is when drivers reach their destination. You seldom see anyone hop out of their car and start running, or even walking at a fast pace. There's exceptions, but the average person travels from his car to front door of Wallmart at a slow waddle.
That is amusing. They pass me on the highway, I pass them in Costco with my shopping cart. After all, there's no speed limit to abide by in the aisles!

Man, I'm in and out of that place within 15 minutes in Juneau, AK. Pretty good, eh?

Drive slowly, move the body quickly-not a bad motto.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:58 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,839,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
You sound like one of those folks who fails to anticipate lights turning green (even though it's an inevitability), can't read traffic, take eons to make simple decisions, and are generally just terrified of being behind the wheel. I honestly feel bad for these folks. I see them everyday - hunched over the steering wheel , peering forward in terror and oblivious to everything around them.

Fast isn't always dangerous and slow is rarely safer. Go with the flow and keep up with traffic. You, and everyone around you, will be happier.
YOur wake up call, is you don't know a thing about me.

I drive very well, safe, and don't put others in danger. 6'2", don't hunch over nothing, have driven in many races, on and off track. Worked for AJ Foyt, driven in two destruction derbies. so, guess again. Feel bad only for your lack of abilities in profiling.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:07 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,970,897 times
"So why do those drivers do it?"

yearly, i drive 60K or more for my job.
i've noticed trends as time goes by.
where's what i mean.....

1. when i first started, it was guys like me. young white guys. drag racing to the next light. it's fun to drive fast.
2. 4 years later, it was young black guys. same reason, i guess.
3. then, it was Mommy on her cellphone. these are STILL the worst.
4. now it's texting by anyone. looking at their belly-button instead of the windshield.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:19 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,290,056 times
i know that it doesnt make my commute any faster but if the car in front of me is just slow, i mean, i have to press the break pedal just not to him him, or there are 5 car spaces between him and the car in front of him, i think thats just slow for me..have to pass by this slow poke. thats impeding traffic in my opinion even if im 10 above speed limit

Old 10-02-2018, 04:30 PM

758 posts, read 551,601 times
Different city streets and thoroughfares were engineered for different speeds. Then politicians got involved and artificially lowered all speed limits in lots of cities. This broke the connection between allowed speed and safe speed, so people got in the habit of driving minimum 5 miles over the posted speed limit because it was clearly safe to do so. So, even most self-identified non-speeders speed.

The commonality of the fudge factor became crystal clear when they were working on the eastern span of the bay bridge. Midway through construction they had to put up a temporary S-curve, which was just like the name--a big curve one way followed by a big curve the other way. They posted a speed limit of 15mph for the curve. Lots of accidents between cars followed. Finally, a truck doing 20 went over the side and killed the driver. He did not realize that this speed limit was set by engineers (i.e., physics), not by politicians. They should have set the limit at 10, so he could add the customary 5mph and still be safe. You can't break the connection between signs and safety all over the country, then have this one curve where you set the limit according to physics--at least, not if you're trying to keep traffic moving and people safe.

I submit that as people got in the habit of speeding, they also got in the habit of driving a comfortable speed for them. For lots of people its 35, even though the posted speed limit of the 6 lane boulevard (3 lanes each way, PLUS turning lanes when needed) (near my old house) is 25). So, mostly everyone goes 35 there. Not 50. Not 60. People are driving consistent with the conditions, not some ill-conceived limit of some long-dead politician.

Engineers are now trying to respond to politicians. "Traffic calming" is being introduced in many areas--eliminating lanes, narrowing lanes. Maybe people will slow down. Maybe not. Habits die hard. But note what this means--they are basically admitting that the safe speed is higher than posted, so to bring the safe speed and posted speed into alignment they are now lowering the safety of the road. THAT's thinking like a politician. [NOTE: I am not talking about side streets, I am talking about major thoroughfares).

Old 10-02-2018, 04:51 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Some of us LOVE to drive. Not putter.
Some of us do it responsibly.

Some of us do not get road rage. Some of us people passing you will not cut you off, we will not get in your way, and if by some chance we do happen to do something that does interfere with your driving in any way, we will give you that "OMG MAN I AM SO SORRY!" look.
Me in a nutshell.

I love to drive, and preferably at higher speeds - but I do so SAFELY according to road conditions and traffic, and always try to be courteous to the other drivers. Thankfully I'm in good company here in California, as you're more likely to tick someone off by going slowly. LOL

Old 10-02-2018, 04:55 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
That is amusing. They pass me on the highway, I pass them in Costco with my shopping cart. After all, there's no speed limit to abide by in the aisles!

Man, I'm in and out of that place within 15 minutes in Juneau, AK. Pretty good, eh?

Drive slowly, move the body quickly-not a bad motto.
People around here are just as pushy on foot! I often say "they walk how they drive," when I have someone bumping their cart against me in a checkout line. Dude, PERSONAL SPACE!!

Old 10-02-2018, 05:43 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
The reactions and posts to this are all making the assumption of this being a Highway.

It's true that some did assume they were talking about highways, but many did not. My comments, for example, had nothing to do with highways. Don't assume everyone misunderstood the OP.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:54 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,343,125 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWPCE2tTLZQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive